1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

my husband is building me a travel guitar (now with pics!)

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by pcake, Nov 27, 2017.

1. pcake

pcake Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2011
    Los Angeleez
    a little background. years ago, i damaged my shoulder and was unable to lift my arm around even the smallest acoustic guitar. enter the washburn rover. it's tiny - they say it's the smallest acoustic guitar and it may be. i was able to play it, and i was so grateful to have something to keep playing. the big catch is that i disliked the neck and the nut width, which was uncomfortably tight at 1 11/16s - i usually prefer 1 13/16ths or 1 7/8s, and it really does make a difference to me.

so i contact washburn to ask if they'll build me a rover with a wider nut. there are some guitars they can customize, but this isn't one of them. drat! as soon as my shoulder improved, i sold my rover.

i'm having problems again playing acoustic guitars, but this time my husband leaps into action. he finds we have enough sitka spruce to make a rover-sized top, enough mahogany left to make rover-sized backs and sides and some more stuff. we figure out measurements, and he's on it! he's now got the top, back and sides almost done, the bracing is done and a very nice rosette finished and installed. he free-bent the sides, and most of the sanding is done. some parts are on the way from stewmac.

he sent me these pics from his phone after i posted this thread :D

but i'm really happy about this as while bass is my main thing, i've played guitar since the late '60s, and i really want to play again. and it's such fun having the build going on - we both chose some elements including the wood for the rosette, and i can visit my future guitar as it sits on his workbench.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2017
    ICM, reverendrally, Joe Nerve and 5 others like this.
  2. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    Sounds like a keeper, @pcake...

... your husband, not the guitar, silly.

(Look forward to the build pics!)

pcake likes this.
  3. Eh, keep the guitar to.:)

Looking forward to some build pics.

pcake likes this.
  4. pcake

pcake Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2011
    Los Angeleez
    oh, he is definitely is a keeper! and i don't say that just because he'll be reading this thread or because does all our setups, either :D

5. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
    Based on the nice woodworking jigs, workbench, and dial micrometer use, looks like you husband knows his business! Hard to tell the scale, but that looks like a Uke sized guitar. Have you given any though to switching to a Ubass or similar? I can see one in my future if the arthritis in my fingers gets any worse, the long stretches are getting harder to do!

6. pcake

pcake Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2011
    Los Angeleez
    it's actually a 24" scale, so 5 inches longer than a ubass. and my husband's building me a guitar, not a bass.

btw, i had a ubass but the rubbery strings don't really let me play the way i like to play.

Gilmourisgod likes this.