Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

my ibanez eda905 basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by neptoon, Nov 21, 2002.

1. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    sorry for holding out on you guys...i went out and got a pair of ibanez eda's a couple weeks ago...both are 5 stringers, one is fretted, the other fretless. the fretted is the red rock flat color and the fretless is gray...the only available color. i've tried these basses out several times at the guitar centers and i've always been impressed with the sound i got from them throught the ampeg rigs. they both kill through my eden rig (dc-210 metro w/d-115xlt). i've ordered a couple bartolini pre-'s for them, as the elex are their weakness. i'm sure the barts will open them up quite a bit since they both sound so awesome unamplified. the fretted cuts with just a little bit of boost on the midrange from my amp and the fretless is just sweet. again i have to boost the mids. the bass and treble on these things are just killer. especially the upper register with the piezos dialed in about 3/4's of the way up. i have lots of good things to say about these basses. they have a lot of the features that i would have on my "dream bass," i.e. contoured body, great balance, the placement of the jack is even awesome (in the front and angled back a la fender strat), the body has a great odd shape (yeah, i'm weird.....and?), it's substantial though not heavy, perfect string spacing for my taste and imo the tone kills. again, my only gripe are the elex...the fretless has a great mwah...not really an upright sound, but more of a modern tone that cuts a little bit better. they honestly sound like maple bodied basses. the fishman system is pretty versatile, though difficult to adjust on the fly-there are individual string volume pots on the back of the bass behind the bridges, a bass boost pot and an overall piezo output pot. the front controls are mag pup volume, piezo volume, mag tone and piezo treble cut/boost. these are great basses for 600 bucks a pop, though many traditionalists (i'm not ;-) ) wouldn't be caught dead with one. the best thing is, when i go to a gig, no one will take me seriously....so when i bust out with something cool, everyone will be like "this guy rules!" :D ok, color me weird again...check these out. i think they're great.

[​IMG]

2. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Looks great! :) I dig that hardware placement too. How are those B-strings, and have you tried one with a pick?

I'll first get that Esh w/ piezo bridge I've been looking for a time now, but those Ibani look pretty nice too :cool:

3. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    the b strings are pretty good...better on the fretless than the fretted. i play through an eden rig, too, so i'm sure that has a lot to do with it. i like the hardware placement as well. it's really comfy to me and it does what i do really well.

4. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    that is a lovely couple

I wish I had the money to do something like that :)

congrats!!

5. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc

aren't they cute? i was going to get a used fretless f-bass to begin with, but some rogue kids destroyed a fence at one of my rental properties, so a big chunk of what i had to spend went to that...oh well. i figured what the heck...i always liked these, and i figure that if i have two identical basses, it will help learning on the fretless.

6. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    They look beautful! Any more detailed pics of them :D

Enjoy them :)

7. Everything associated with Rogue is evil!

8. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    hee hee

i KNOW!

9. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc

ask and you shall receive ;)

10. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    here ya go

[​IMG]

11. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    and another

[​IMG]

12. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    and another

[​IMG]

13. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    and another

[​IMG]

14. Now, if only the 5's (especially the fretless) were available in the same blue finish that you can get the 4's in...

Oops, looks like the blue finish is available elsewhere (Japan), but not in the US.

Mike

15. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    I dont really like Ibanezes, (Ibini :D) but sweet mother of god, im willing to make some acceptions now...

16. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    yeah, i dig the blue ones too, mike...sweet finish.

17. A brace of bass :D

Lovely couple neptoon.I`ve always thought the eda`s were some of the sweeter looking ibani .

Yummy.:)

18. Very nice!

I wound up trading my EDA 905, but it was a great bass nonetheless. I had severe, immediate and intense GAS pains upon seeing the fretless in a local music store -- please let us know how she works out :)

19. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc

well, pretty good so far. i've taken it to rehearsal twice. i just have to fiddle around with the mid control on my amp when changing basses. i think i'm gonna make little tick marks with different colored tape for each basses' setting. that should be cute.

20. Killdar

Killdar

Dec 16, 2002
    Portland Maine
    whats your opinion of the lack of a second magnetic pickup? im sure the piezo more than makes up for it, but still, maybe there are tones beyond the playable that could be done with another, i dunno.

spose theres always the possibility of fitting another pickup in there....think it would add enough to be considered? hmmm....