Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

my ibanez gsr 200...

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by darkenraja, Mar 31, 2005.

1. ive had my ibanez gsr-200 for sometime now, and im curious as to what i can do to tune it so it sounds a bit better...

pretty much the issues im having with it are :

volume probs with me bottom string (d and g), they arent very louad at all, when i use them, they are barely audible at all, i want to know what i can do to maximise the tonal and volume characteristics of my bass....what knobs do what (there i three) and what i can fiddle around with on the bass itself to make it sound different.

any help is much appreciated! :D

2. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    The knobs are Vol. Vol. Tone, from the one closest to the neck to the back. Front one controls the neck pickup volume, back one controls the bridge pickup volume, tone knob is a treble rolloff.

As for volume from string to string, you might look at your pickups height. If its lower on the D and G, raise that side of the pickup up a little bit by loosening the screws that hold the pickup down.

As for getting the most out of it, its simply not a super bass. Its an awesome bass for its price range, but it is limited. You might consider some new pickups for it, but be warned, the stock bridge pickup is smaller than some replacement ones. You might have to route out the hole a tad bit bigger by about 1/16th of an inch on each side. Not something for the novice to have a crack at really.

3. hmmm, i think perhaps i might start looking at a new bass. this one is a good one to thrash the crap out of, but, when it comes to shows, its just frustrating to play simply because you get different notes you play on those strings that just...dotn come out......

but when I try to raise the pick-ups by loosening the screws, the screws just ocmeo ut, and the pick-up doesnt move, it just slides around freely.

4. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    Hmm, your pickups should be on springs or on foam beneath them that should flex some. Have you changes the strings recently?

Oh, and btw, if you do get another bass, the GSR is a perfect candidate for a de-fretting. Do a search on my username, I have a thread I started after I de-fretted mine, it sounds way cooler hehe.

5. nah, i havent changed anything aobut it at all...is it possible that hte pickups are up as much as they can be???

6. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    Its possible, and in that case, your action is too high. What you might consider is having a professional set it up properly. This may cost ya a few bucks, but its worth it. Just make sure you find someone that actually does BASS setups, not a guitar tech that will happen to setup a bass for you as well.

You can actually do the setup yourself, but you will have to do some reading up. Check out the setum forum sticky posts about setting your truss rod, and how to get your action setup as well. If you have any specific questions, Id be glad to answer them.

7. Rhythmalism

Rhythmalism

Sep 25, 2004
    Go backwards then, lower the pups on the E and A side :D. My favorite tone from my gsr beater is to use nickel-plated strings, medium guage, don't roll off the treble, and use only one pickup or the other. Use the split pup for a warmer sound, use the j-pup for a hint of growl and a little more treble. Unfortunately, blending the two pups on this bass actually muddies up the tone and makes the overall sound quieter...

8. Minger

Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    I say do your own setup - its something worth learning.

Don't go diving headfirst though - do your reading.

9. Eoghan

Eoghan

Dec 5, 2004
    Australia.
    I have a problem with mine in that if i start to play higher up the neck I hit spots where the sound is 'washy' and it kind of makes several notes at once (mainly above the 12th fret and unplugged it is very harsh and irritating), though when plugged in it still happens. Intonation mabye? Sorry to hijack a thread, but I figured better to ask a question in an existing GSR 200 thread then begin a new one!

10. Eoghan

Eoghan

Dec 5, 2004
    Australia.
    Bit of a bump here - the problem still exists...

11. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    I had that with my SR300, too. There's just a small piece of foam under the p-ups (foam sucks, btw, springs are much better, but they are only found on higher-end basses).
    Maybe you can fix that by putting some more foam there

12. Eoghan

Eoghan

Dec 5, 2004
    Australia.
    Well, you see.. its not a truss rod or pick-up problem. The intonation is prefect and the magnetism is not warping the movement of the strings... so I'm confused.