My Ibanez SR 5 string E-C family

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jibreel, Nov 24, 2021.

1. jibreel

jibreel Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2005
    Seattle
    I have been playing bass for over 15 years [damn, I guess I am old]. My first base was a Gibson EB model. Been through a lot of gear since then, including many boutique instruments, but have settled down now and have all of the components that I really need. Basses, amps, speakers and a pedal board.

I have settled on the Ibanez basses. I really like the thin necks and the wood choices they use.

All of my bases are strung E-C. I like playing chords and also soloing in the upper registers.

The fretted bases are plecked. They are both identical, just have different strings for contrasting sounds: LaBella black nylon TI and jazz rounds

All of the original electronics had been switched out for American Bartolini components including the semi-acoustic fretless.

I only use the neck pickups on the fretted basses. The bridge pickups are either disconnected or removed. I use both pickups on the solid body fretless

I guess it’s nice to just feel really happy and content with my gear.

Oh, I also have two five string and one four string Tacoma acoustic basses.

And the of course there is my beloved Rob Allen Deep Five………

IMG_4031.JPG

Lackey, Basehead, pbass74 and 4 others like this.
  2. nonohmic

nonohmic Supporting Member

Dec 13, 2005
    ABQ, NM.
    Great family. Do you prefer the portamento or the hollow body for fretless?

bluesguy62 and jibreel like this.
  3. nFinnyD

nFinnyD

Oct 31, 2017
    Utah
    I regularly tune my two Ibanez 5ers to DGCFA#(at least one is always in it), maybe we’re like half cousins, then?

Nice collection, I’m after a fretless 5 in the next couple of years and you have 3 of the 5 I’m considering!

bluesguy62 and jibreel like this.
  4. jibreel

Apr 12, 2005
    Seattle
    They are very different sounding so I am really glad to have both to choose from.
    If I had to pick one, it would be the semi-hollow as it is more acoustic sounding.

bluesguy62 and nonohmic like this.
  5. scottfeldstein

scottfeldstein Roots and fifths and a little extra.

Jun 20, 2011
    West Bend, Wisconsin
    You sound like someone who really knows what he wants sound-wise. Very admirable. I also am an Ibanez fan. Right now I'm rocking a BTB745 super long scale, but I have owned two others in the SR range. Funny that your 505 in the center has the exact same wear on the finish that mine did. It's the playability more than anything that keeps me coming back to them.

Also, I have exactly one six string guitar right now and it's an Ibanez SA160FM super strat with a floating trem and locking tuners. Super fun.

Hey, if I were looking to upgrade the pickups in the BTB, what would you recommend I check out? Right now these are the stock Bartolini BH2 passives.

IMG_3430.JPG

Last edited: Nov 25, 2021
    jibreel likes this.
  6. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Australia
    LOL. No.

Nice collection. When I want E-C from one of my Ibanezes, I just grab on of the 5 6 strings I have. The three that have finish like your 505, I play very gently so they have no wear marks yet.

Are you sure you need to? I was pretty positive that I was going to on my 846v because of comments on the forums, but listening to the good (rare) YT videos, I think I'll keep my money in my pocket. Not telling you what to do, I just don't think they're as bad as many make them out to be. Unless I had a really specific tone in mind they couldn't get, I don't see the point.

7. scottfeldstein

Jun 20, 2011
    West Bend, Wisconsin
    Yeah, I feel that too. People talk a lot about how the Barts are the weakest link in the Ibanez line, so maybe there's something better over the horizon? But I'm not hating them or anything. In fact, they're a nice contrast to my Warwick humbuckers. Plus, I had a lot of unplanned-for expenses over the summer. And I don't even have a gig right now!

8. Cool SRH! What are the mods on it?

9. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Australia
    I've taken the dogs out for a walk and had a cup of tea and have changed my mind. You should buy several different sets of replacement of pickups, I'd suggest multiple Nordies and QTuners, then post good clean soundclips so I can see if my hypothesis is correct. TIA.

Andre678 likes this.
  10. scottfeldstein

Jun 20, 2011
    West Bend, Wisconsin
    Heh. If I had money to burn, I'd probably do it!

11. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Australia
    So would I. Alas...

I'm also gigless at the moment, and the ladies I usually play with will soon be 800km/500mi from me, so I'll have to find another band or form one. I'm praying it's going to be a good experience.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2021
  12. jibreel

Apr 12, 2005
    Seattle
    Actually, that was supposed to be 50 not 15 !! This confirms my aging brain. :D

13. jibreel

Apr 12, 2005
    Seattle
    The MK1's do leave something to be desired which is why I use only the real Barts.

14. jibreel

Apr 12, 2005
    Seattle
    I removed the original preamp and replaced it with a Bartolini preamp. Much, much fuller sound. Also now have the treble, mid and bass controls.

Naviiin likes this.
  15. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Australia
    I'm sure it was your speech to text application making a typo. Or it not understanding your old man's croaky voice. I have no experience of that myself...

I still think they're OK as I have them in the SR706. Scott and I were talking about the BH2s which I think are pretty decent.

jibreel likes this.
  16. Aidil

Aidil

Dec 4, 2014
    Jkt, IDN
    Can you still use the Piezo on your Portamento now you've replaced the pre with Bart's?

17. jibreel

Apr 12, 2005
    Seattle
    Currently only using the mag pups. I will be connecting the piezo soon using a Bartolini MPB2-918 buffer.

18. jibreel

Apr 12, 2005
    Seattle
    Update: Just installed the Bartolini MPB2-918 buffer circuit and it works perfectly!! So there are now two onboard blend pots. One blends the mag pups and the other blends the output of the mag blend pot with the piezo.

Aidil likes this.
  19. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Dec 2, 2021