Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My idea for a custom bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassman1185, Feb 7, 2002.

1. OK, I'm really thinking about getting a DP custom five string for my next bass. Here's what I'm thinking:

Neck: Thru-body, 3 or 5 piece, probably m/w/m/w/m or o/w/o/w/o. W=wenge, M=maple, O=ovankol. 24 or 26 jumbo frets, wenge board, 34" scale. Narrow spacing at the nut, medium wide at the bridge. Flat board, thin front to back.

Body: Swamp ash with 1/2" quilted maple top, Most likely Dave's standard body style.

Electronics: two MM-style humbuckers, either Basslines or Bartollini, each with series/parallel/single switch, 3-band eq with parametric mid.

Hardware: most likely upgrade to lighter tuners and a heavier bridge.

So what does everyone think? I'm looking for a really versitile bass that will do everything from a Warwick-y growl to an old P-like thump. I play a lot of different kinds of music, everything from punk, to metal, to worship at my church. I really love the general Warwick sound (hence the wenge and ovankol), but I sometimes need a smoother sound.

2. That bass sounds good. Good choice of woods, and you seem to know what you want. I am not sure if it is really possible to have a bass that sounds like a P sometimes and a Warwick at others. Anyway, Dave is a good guy and he is able to offer better advice on the sounds of the basses he builds, I am sure.

Geoff

3. Sounds good. One question, what is ovankol? I've never heard of that before. I'm assuming it's close to maple because you are substituting it for maple.

4. It is the same as shedua or hedua, and warwick uses them in their new necks, rather than wenge, it was, I believe. I have no idea how it compares to maple, but its tensile properties must be similar.

Geoff

5. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    ovangkol supposedly is stronger than wenge and more expensive, but it's more closed grained and much easier to work with (less splintering).

i'm assuming that any increase in cost warwick has had to endure making ovangkol necks has been saved in the manufacturing process.

tonally - it's decent, but it's no wenge. (meaning it sounds GOOD, just not like a warwick should)

as for electronics - check out the bartolini quad coils. if you had two of those, with a 3 position switch for each pair of coils you could get some SERIOUS tones out of it. as in - the left and right side of each pickup would have a 3 way switch for front coil, both coils, and back coil. you could get PJ, PP, JJ, J+JJ, two soapbars...whatever you wanted.

and for the top - instead of maple i'd go with a bubinga top. it'll give it more of that bark and low mid growl.

and my SSII can sound like almost like a vintage P if i put it in passive mode and solo the neck pickup, so it's possible.

jason

6. I'm going with the Bart Quad coils in my DP. should be awesome.
    if you ask Dave about the quads, he'll send you the options for your switches. you get a 3 way toggle switch for each pick-up that can be set almost anyway you want.

7. OK, thanks guys. Yeah, I've heard about the quad coils before. How much do they cost? Aren't they like a custom shop only kinda deal? And what would the dimensions be (aproximatly)?

8. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    I don't think the Bart quads cost (much) more than their dual-coils. They are available in a wide variety of soapbar shapes and sizes.

The catalogs at www.bartolini.net (PDF format) have detailed descriptions of size and shape and coil layout.

9. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    Looks OK.
    Just one more thing: add a 0-fret! Does more to the tone and intonation than Dave will admit:D

10. Thanks, Suburban. I wouldn't have thought of that. The zero fret really would make a difference, especially since I'm lazy and I use open strings way too much.:D