Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My idea for a Jazz bass..

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Whafrodamus, Dec 25, 2003.

1. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    I'm thinking of ordering parts and stuff spring '04. I'm thinking of a Warmoth Jazz body (ash or maple) with a flame maple quilt top in a nice blue with a black Jazz pickguard. The body'll look almost liquid.. I can just see it :). Neck wise, a Moses Jazz neck with the moses logo on it :) (I hate having empty headstocks). Inlay wise, blue pearl square inlays. Bridge wise, a Leo Quann BadassII of course. Pickups, I'm thinking reissue single coils.

Please post comments and suggestions about this. :)

2. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    [​IMG] a finish like this?

3. Me likes! Black or chrome hardware? Anything fancy with the electronics in mind? I'd like to build one myself.
    Robert

4. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    That finish is nice, but a little darker.

And.. Hrm.. I'm thinking black hardware. Black on liquid blue would look great.

5. Figgy, how often do you have to skim? Do you prefer the tablet or granulated chlorine? :eek: :D

6. mslatter

mslatter

Apr 8, 2003
    It really does have that sparkly pool water effect. Amazing! If someone covered that with a pickguard, I'd be compelled to hunt him down and stooge slap him!

Flamed maple usually isn't nearly so three dimensional, so I wouldn't feel quite so bad putting a guard over it.

Otherwise, what the OP was suggesting sounds like a great project. Have fun with it!

7. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Ah yes, but if only that were MY bass, alas, it isnt mine.

8. I had never imagined blue quilt as looking like water before, but now that ive looked at it closer... thats amazing. I could almost swim in it if i felt like it. In fact i feel like skinny dipping right now. :rolleyes:

Seriously though, i just cant justify covering an amazing finish like that with a pickguard. Most of the best warmoth guitars i have seen are all done without one.

Ive wanted a warmoth jazz with a graphite neck and a badass II since i ever considered building a bass, so i have to say i love your choices. Hope it turns out well for you, im sure wed all love to see/hear it after you have it together.

Peace.

9. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
  10. Yep. Juuuuust like that, and with barts, too... But ive never been a fan of the transparent green; id have to go with a white, natural, brown or crimson red finish. Im a total sucker for crimson red over flame/quilt. And id prolly throw a u-retro in there while i was at it.

Peace.

11. bwbass

bwbass

May 6, 2002
    WA
    Like this...?
    [​IMG]
    In it's complete form...
    [​IMG]

12. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    Can you put inlays into a Moses neck?

And I agree w/ the others, if you must do a pickguard, make it transparent (a la Atelier Z).

13. That gecko is amazing, bwbass... if i had the money id seriously consider it, especially if i could make it work with a set of MM/jazz pickups and electronics similar to a lakland. :oops: You just had to give me a case of GAS didnt you. :bawl: ;)

Has anyone seen some of the quilt tops that are so figured they literally appear to be on fire? Id kill for a top like that.

Peace.

14. Brooks

Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    Maybe like this:

[​IMG]

My Warmoth.