Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

my idea

Discussion in 'Tablature and Notation [BG]' started by All_¥our_Bass, Jul 15, 2005.

1. Yes

30.4%
  2. No

52.2%
  3. I Don't Know

17.4%
  1. All_¥our_Bass

All_¥our_Bass

Dec 26, 2004
    I think it would be nice for sheet music to have a text-typed equivalent, so sheet music could be as common as tablature

read the attachment for more info

Attached Files:

2. mattsk42

mattsk42 $100 off new Directv subsp.PM me BEFORE signing up Supporting Member

I've always thought something like that would be a cool idea. If there was an easy program to type them into so you wouldn't have to do the work of tabbing it, I bet it would catch on some. Cool.

3. The Clap

The Clap

Jan 5, 2004
    Scottsdale, AZ
    You've done a lot of work on this but your staff is fundamentally too large, you'd rarely find a piece of sheet music with a 3 inch staff, and it's a bit hard to digest for that reason. That's just a functional limitation of ASCII though, and doing anything differently would defeat the purpose of a .txt file's simplicity, eh?

P.S. I voted 'no,' and laughed when I saw that, despite the previous poster's tone, there were 2 votes 'No' and 0 votes 'Yes' ;)

4. All_¥our_Bass

All_¥our_Bass

Dec 26, 2004
    well you dont have use the extra big staff if you don't want to, just something I wasthrowing out there. I'm surprised this didn't get more response sooner as getting comfortable with sheet music is a big topic here

5. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    The IDEA is a good one, I just don't see it happening. In general beyond this board there doesn't seem to be a whole lot of interest in reading sheet music, and, as seen by example, it's rather bulky. Also, how would you denote all the musical symbols? Yeah, you can do a lot of them, but definitly not all of them. What someone needs to do for this to work, is make a font that would allow you to have sheet music typed out, in sheet music size and notation. That can be done, but it takes work etc. etc., something most people aren't up to. You're headed down the right track though.
    Another problem I see with it, is going about changing all the tabs already existing into sheet music - who would want that job? I know I certainly wouldn't.
    The idea is a nice one, and it'd be cool to see in action (especially if you could do like a lot of books do, sheet music on top, and tab on bottom for songs), I just don't see it happening anytime soon, due to the mentality that is about. And I don't just mean here at TB, I mean everywhere. Good luck though.

-Ray

6. yoshi

yoshi

Jul 12, 2002
    England, London
    It defeats the point - tabs are a widely available and acceptable form of written music used by musical weaklings who can't/don't/won't read music - a quick and easy path to learning that bassline you just heard, for example.

Furtehr more, in regards to the concepts of tabs lacking 'puncutation' and timing, there are numerous programs that combine tab and song, for example Guitar pro, again nullifying the need for costly -and less accessable- notation.

7. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Watch your place. Just because someone goes and looks up tabs doens't mean they are a musical weakling. I can read music just fine, and 99% of the songs I play I learn by ear, or by sheet music. On occasion though I go and look up the tab, simply because they're more readily available than anything else. Why must you feel the need to degrade people due to their way of expressing themselves?

-Ray

8. mattsk42

mattsk42 $100 off new Directv subsp.PM me BEFORE signing up Supporting Member

Well I didn't vote, that's why there's no yes. Also, like someone else said, it's a great idea, but might not catch on. I think the reason a lot of people on here don't like tabs is because of money. I know MANY kids who (musically talented or not) use tabs and only tabs. They don't have the benefit of buying sheet music. I'm in a town of 15,000 which isn't huge, but big at least. I looked in every single store and found 2 bass books. They were the bass teaching things level 1 and 2. No music. Anywhere. So you have to order it. This wouldn't be a problem, but it costs money. And that's why I think (IMO) that most of the people here who are established "bassists" and have 1,000-and up dollar basses don't care. They either have played and memorized the songs, or they can just go buy some music. This system to me just seems like a poor man's version of music (same as tabs) except it's more improved. It might have flaws, but at least it's music. I think it would overall be better than tabs, and that's a good thing. No offence anyone. :D

9. conk97

conk97

May 2, 2005
    redditch, uk
    it doesnt look that good so NO!

10. yoshi

yoshi

Jul 12, 2002
    England, London

I was speaking from experience - past and current. Sorry I should've stated that I'm the musical weakling in question ;)

11. Thisperson

Thisperson

Aug 19, 2004
    Bad idea.... people would be getting the letters for the times mixed up with the actual letters of the note.

For example a bunch of eigth notes E E E E E but if youre playing a C that would be somewhat confusing...

I guess you would get used to this but it would still be easier just to read the sheet music.