1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

My ideal ES-335 bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ndrly, Aug 30, 2007.

1. OK. Here's the specifications of what I'd want if I was ordering a Gibson ES-335-style bass to be custom made, or getting my own signature model.

Construction / Scale: Neck-thru body/34"
    Body: Maple
    Neck / Fingerboard: Maple/ebony
    Nut Type / Width: Graphite/40 mm
    Neck Shape: Extra Thin U
    Inlays: None
    Frets: 24
    Binding: Body
    Hardware: Chrome
    Tuners: Hipshot HB1 w/Detuner
    Bridge: Hipshot TransTone
    Pickups: EMG-35P4 (N), EMG EMG-35TW (B)
    Electronics : EMG BQS system (volume/blend/treble/mid/bass)

It would be available in black or natural.

And if this bass was made by a mass-producing company, then it's fine by me if they want to produce cheaper versions. Different bridges, different woods, passive pickups...it's OK with me.

You think that this would be a good bass for me?

2. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    The Gibson Ned Riley...I like it!

3. I would like that with a Fender-style neck 22 frets,ES-175 Style and passive SD Phase II humbuckers.

Oh,and birdseye maple instead of ebony for the fB.

Black and maple.....mmm....

4. The Hammer

The Hammer

Jul 13, 2004
    why do you want 35" scale? Are you planning on making it a 5 string?

5. iamthebassman

iamthebassman

Feb 24, 2004
    Austin,Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Phantom Guitars, Eastwood Guitars
    I was wondering that myself, considering a 335 bass will not have a top horn to attach a strap to, there's gonna be serious neck-dive with 35" scale. But he's thought it out and I'm sure has a solution.

6. sb69coupe

sb69coupe

Aug 9, 2004
    Raleigh NC
    How are you planning to mount that traditional solid-body style bridge on the carved top? There's a reason that most hollowbody and semi-hollowbody basses use floating bridges and short scale lengths. Given their overall design with the height of the fingerboard over the top of the body, they use a trapeze style tailpiece and floating style bridge to allow for the proper string height for the neck angle etc.

Since the string witness point at the bridge is closer to the neck, a 30" scale feels almost like a 34" scale solidbody electric bass. If you were to use a 35" scale along with the standard design tailpiece/bridge, you'd end up with a neck length that felt like a 39" scale.

7. iamthebassman

iamthebassman

Feb 24, 2004
    Austin,Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Phantom Guitars, Eastwood Guitars
    Come on, he's talking about "allowing" the manufacturer to mass-produce a cheaper version. You think he's got that far along in the thought process and not already worked out the difficulties involved with a 35" scale on a 335-ish body? Oh ye of little faith. ;)

8. markjazzbassist

markjazzbassist Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    +1

I have a 34" scale Gretsch Hollowbody (ES-335 style) and the scale length is perfect. I wouldn't want it any longer, then it would be too far between the frets. It's already a little far now, but I dig the 34" gives it.

9. Well, I thought 35" was a full-scale instrument. The size of a normal bass.

10. I think I'd prefer if it was produced by a company other than Gibson.

11. Well, I'd mainly prefer it as a four-string, but a five-string or even six-string version would be good too.

12. Can anyone make a photoshop image of the bass I'd like? Here's some reference images.

[​IMG]

HOOKYS-ECCLESHALL-HOT.

Peter Hook's bass, the inspiration for my own signature model.

Though I'm sure some people can actually find better images...