1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

My Ignorance Is Showing...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jeff K, Mar 9, 2008.

1. Jeff K

Jeff K Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2005
    Memphis, TN
    I apologize in advance for this, but I'm hoping somebody can help me out. Sometimes I see bassists with some type of black band around their headstock between the nut and the tuning keys. I'm assuming it has a function similar to a string tree. Is that correct, or am I way off base? Also, what is it actually called? Thanks to all.

2. ibanezcollector

ibanezcollector Yoyo's Hurt When You Crank It Into Your Face

Feb 18, 2007
    Cleveland Ohio
    its a mute

most people will use a hair pretty or similar kind of thing then pull it down over the frets to mute the open strings if there doing some kind of tapping or something else.

3. Jeff K

Jeff K Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2005
    Memphis, TN
    Okay, thanks. It's funny, because I was going to describe it as "almost like a pony tail holder, but thicker". A guy at the church I go to has one on his Lakland, but I've never seen it on the frets themselves. It always just sits there between the nut and the tuning keys.

4. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    It's supposed to go just in front of the nut, where a zero fret would be. Yeah, it just works as a mute. Victor Wooten was the first guy I saw using one!

5. I use Goody's Pony Tailers since they fit around my Lakland neck perfectly. A lot of people use them to deaden the ring from the B string when slapping. If you have a 5 string then you probably understand how the B string can ring out when you don't want it to. Here's a pic:
    CIMG0180.

6. Jeff K

Jeff K Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2005
    Memphis, TN
    Thanks, guys!