1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

My Instrumental Math Rock Band Released Its First Song! [VIDEO]

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by tomfouts, Apr 28, 2015.

1. tomfouts

tomfouts

Jan 4, 2006
    Boston, MA
    Hey guys!

My band (Oh, Adeona) just released our first song and I am super pumped about it because it’s the first “sound” I have on the interwebz after 11 years of playing bass, but also because we produced the music and video ourselves.

I am proud of what we put together but hope to keep getting better with writing, mixing and video production, so your feedback would be VERY much appreciated.

Let me know what you math rockers think! If you like what you hear, we will be releasing more music soon so stay up to date on the Facebooks!

Hope it gets your energy levels up!
    Tom

2. andruca

andruca

Mar 31, 2004
    Madrid (Spain)
    Dig it!

3. CGramazio

CGramazio www.freebassing.com Supporting Member

Jan 20, 2011
    Gilbert, AZ
    I had a seizure watching the video, but I really liked it. Kinetic!

Bob_Ross likes this.
  4. tomfouts

tomfouts

Jan 4, 2006
    Boston, MA
    We totally considered adding a warning to the video... I guess maybe we should have, haha.

We definitely wanted to get the energy across through the video but I think we took it a bit too far, haha. Glad you're diggin' it though! Kinetic is a kind word to describe it...

5. SpanishDave

SpanishDave

Mar 3, 2009
    Vigo Spain
    I take all that that you've got!
    Will be shared on FB once safely out of work hours!

6. tomfouts

tomfouts

Jan 4, 2006
    Boston, MA
    Wow! Thank you so much, I truly appreciate that, and I am so glad this is something worth sharing!

7. SpanishDave

SpanishDave

Mar 3, 2009
    Vigo Spain
    No Problem man, you gotta share the love!
    I liked the video too, for what its worth.

8. I like it. It's a great song and a very cool looking video.

Although, and this is just my 2¢ worth—maybe slightly less movement/choppiness in the camera cuts—your song flows really well, and the video should flow with it—I just found that it was a little hard to watch at certain points because the images were cutting and moving so fast. But it could just be me... take it for what it's worth...

Again, very cool, you have a right to be proud.

9. I like it! Who do you guys listen to?

10. Great song but too jumping around / choppiness on the video (as other have said)

I'm older (ok old) and don't get some of the new genre things... what makes something "Math Rock" ? sounds like instrumental rock or fusion to me

11. tomfouts

tomfouts

Jan 4, 2006
    Boston, MA
    It is definitely not just you! And we really appreciate all of this feedback (and how consistent/ conclusive it is). Glad you like it man!

12. tomfouts

tomfouts

Jan 4, 2006
    Boston, MA
    The drummer and guitarist who formed the band back when they were in high school listen to a lot of math/ post-rock, post-hardcore stuff, alternative.
    Portugal the man, Fear Before the March of Flames, Maps & Atlases, Daughters, Giraffes?Giraffes!, Grizzly Bear, Fleet Foxes, Queen, Rage Against the Machine, Number 12 Looks Like You.

I listen(/listened) to Opeth, Snarky Puppy, Between the Buried and Me, Bela Fleck & the Flecktones, Animals as Leaders, Scale the Summit, Dream Theater, Rage Against the Machine, Queen, Jamiroquai, Pain of Salvation, Rush, Porcupine Tree, Fear Before the March of Flames, Tool, Liquid Tension Experiment, The Contortionist, ...

13. tomfouts

tomfouts

Jan 4, 2006
    Boston, MA
    This is what Wikipedia had to say about Math Rock (since I didn't really grow up listening to it like the other 2 dudes in my band):
    Math rock is a rhythmically complex, often guitar-based, style of experimental rock and indie rock music that emerged in the late 1980s, influenced by progressive rock bands like King Crimson and 20th century minimalist composers such as Steve Reich.

We have a lot of varying sounds, especially the stuff we are writing now, it is almost like blues/funk-rock/metal.

14. "The drummer and guitarist who formed the band back when they were in high school listen to a lot of math/ post-rock, post-hardcore stuff, alternative.
    Portugal the man, Fear Before the March of Flames, Maps & Atlases, Daughters, Giraffes?Giraffes!, Grizzly Bear, Fleet Foxes, Queen, Rage Against the Machine, Number 12 Looks Like You.

I listen(/listened) to Opeth, Snarky Puppy, Between the Buried and Me, Bela Fleck & the Flecktones, Animals as Leaders, Scale the Summit, Dream Theater, Rage Against the Machine, Queen, Jamiroquai, Pain of Salvation, Rush, Porcupine Tree, Fear Before the March of Flames, Tool, Liquid Tension Experiment, The Contortionist, ..."

Thanks - I really, really like King Crimson; but if I listen too much or without watching it, I find myself getting short and angry. }8-P
    You guys have a good sound... not angry or nasty, but a real keen edge.

15. Dave W

Dave W

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    Pretty cool! I really dig it!

I'll agree with what the others have said about the video, but I do like a lot of the different shots and angles in it.

16. Bob_Ross

Bob_Ross Gold Supporting Member

Dec 29, 2012
    Good sound, good playing, I enjoyed listening to that...but couldn't watch it.

17. Cool stuff.

18. BossOnBass

BossOnBass

Aug 11, 2012
    Houston, TX
    Great job! This is an awesome tune!

19. mark beem

mark beem Wait, how does this song start again?? Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    Alabama, USA
    Great! Excellent composition, execution and sound. The video is nigh unwatchable but I really dig the song!

20. Killer! Great playing throughout, especially the bass lick at 1:30.