My Intonation won't change

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Nickthebassist, Sep 22, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I'm mad with my rockbass, I am trying to set the intonation. I have followed the instructions in the warwick manual, and most of the strings are sharp to the harmonic at the 12th fret, so I am turning the screw clockwise in roder to lengthen the string, and absolutely nothing is happening. Any ideas? My tuner is crap I swear, it never settles on one note, it just moves about, one minute I'll be sharp the next I'll be flat, can anyone help? Grrrrrrrrrr :mad: :mad:

MOD EDIT: Inadequate masking of profanity
  2. Well, if your tuner is crap, maybe the problem is not the bass... :)
  3. Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    If the saddle is moving, the intonation is changing. Period. It's physics.

You probably don't have enough tuner to get the job done. It takes a GOOD tuner to get that kind of accuracy.

A peterson strob tuner a Korg rack tuner in strobe mode...the keyword is, "strobe" tuner.
  4. wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    I've got a cheap, old Korg CA-10 and is fine for tuning my basses. I would start off by trying to figure out if the tuner is any good. The CA-10 has an LCD "needle" display and lights for sharp, flat and spot-on. I get a sufficiently stable reading from it to tune with, playing the strings fairly gently between the end of the neck and the neck pickup.

What tuner have you got and where and how do you strike the strings?

5. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Usually it's a faulty string when you absolutely can't adjust intonation.
  6. odie

odie Supporting Member

Why are you worrying about the Rockbass when you have your Warwick Thumb Limited Edition 2001 Bolt Number 56 of 150. Or why do you own a crap tuner when you have so much high end gear? :confused:
  7. How exactly are you doing this? You're checking the note at the harmonic above the 12th fret, and then FRETTING the note on the 12th fret and checking the difference in the notes with the fretted note being the one that shifts.
  8. I'm trying to get the note(fretted) at the 12th fret the same as the harmonic. My tuner is an Intellituner Guitar&Bass LGT-620. That any help? The saddle is defo moving, and it seems I got the tuning closeish.
  9. dlloyd

dlloyd zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Apr 21, 2004
    Sometimes you have to lift the string at the bridge to allow the saddle to move as you're intonating it.
  10. dlloyd

dlloyd zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Apr 21, 2004
    Flat batteries don't help either.
  11. I can't get it bang on for sure because my tuner won't stay in one position. I've also heightened the action to get rid of fret buzz, as my tiny truss rods adjustments made no difference.......must be a high fret.

MOD EDIT: Extreme profanity. No warnings in this forum.
  12. Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    Loosten the string first... When you're adjusting the saddle and the string is on there, the saddle won't move because the string is applying some pressure onto it. Loosten the string and lift up up off the saddle. It should pop in to place.
  13. I have just set it as best i can........turns out some of the saddles werent even where they should have been as the screw wasn't pushed fully into the hole, so i lifted upo the strings and shuved it to where it should be. It aint too much of a biggy, I sound in tune, so meh......
  14. mnadelin

Apr 6, 2003
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Did you try just using your ears with a well-tuned piano?
  15. This thread has been closed for profanity. This forum takes a "no tolerance" policy towards members with long rap sheets. Everyone is welcome to pull up a chair when posting within the guidelines but trolls and TB members that don't follow the rules are judged and dealt with quickly.

If this inconveniences anyone to the point that it matters, just get in touch with me and I'll elaborate.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.