My iPod updates real slow...

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Tyler Hole, Aug 11, 2005.

1. It's a 3rd gen, 15gig iPod. I just took 2 hours 20minutes to put 1,458 songs onto it. I've known people have around 4,000 songs and take alot less longer than that to update. It's the same no matter which USB port I plug it into.

My comp's specs:
    Intel P4 1.6ghz
    1024mb SD RAM
    Radeon 9600 Pro

It's a 3-4 year old Dell. My friend has one about the same age and his updates 10times quicker.

I got the newest version of iTunes (running Windows XP) and the newest iPod software. I got one of those Dock Connector to USB + FireWire cables and the iPod works perfectly as well as my computer.

Anyone have any idea as to why it is updating so slowly?

2. were you running any other programs at the time? though you do have plenty of ram... i'm at a loss...
  3. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    I might know why....

Find out if the USB port on your computer is v.1.1 or v.2

There is a HUGE speed difference between the two of them.

Seeing your computer is 3-4 years old, there´s every chance that you´ve got USB 1.1

USB 1.1 transfer rate = 12Mb/sec
    USB 2.0 transfer rate = 480Mb/sec

That is of course theoretical maximum transfer rate.
  4. Only

Sep 8, 2002
    Warrensburg, MO
    I'd guess your USB port is USB 1.1 and your friend's is 2.0.

Buy a USB card and it will be 2.0, and things will go faster...Assuming that this is your problem.

EDIT: Beaten by Ívar, curse my slow connection!
  5. Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Well, if yours is USB v1.1 instead of 2.0 or something, there can be a signifigant difference in the time it'll take for the transfer of songs to occur.
    Also, in some system's BIOS, you can select your USB to be fullspeed or HIspeed. I'd say go into yours and see if it has that option, and see which is selected. HIspeed is 40X faster than fullspeed.
    Lastly, the same thing happened to my 3rd Gen 10GB iPod... after a couple of weeks, the harddrive in it went bad. If you happen to be under warranty, or have the couple of bucks to have it checked out, I suggest that you do. If it's still under warranty they'll fix it for free... if not, you might as well expect to buy a new one (IIRC it was a $100 parts + labor to fix). And no, there's no real alternative to it, even though there's a few places out there that will put a new drive in, it'll be ~$100 at least.
    I hope it's not that though, and that you get whatever's wrong solved quickly :).

Edit: lets see how many people say the 1.1 vs 2.0 thing, eh? :p
  6. Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    iPods pretty much reflect their owner....if the iPod is slow then....

7. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
  8. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    you have to use usb2 to go fast
  9. How exactly do you check to see if its a 1.1 or 2.0? I'm going to try out that BIOS thing you recommend. The iPod actually has always done this since I got it, I just today had nothing else to do when updating it so I got really annoyed and frustrated. I wouldn't think that the harddrive on it is bad at all because it runs perfectly fine and doesn't hang up at all when I'm using it.

My friend said he might have a 2.0 USB that I could use if in fact it is a 1.1 that I have (which is might be from the sounds of it).
  10. Tom Crofts

Tom Crofts

Mar 15, 2001
    Buy a Firewire card.

Do it.
  11. Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Your device manager in WinXP should tell you which version your USB ports are.
  12. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Tom has the right idea.
  13. Tom Crofts

Tom Crofts

Mar 15, 2001
  14. I just got a USB 2.0/Firewire PCI Card off of eBay, so now I can take 20minutes to update my iPod instead of 2 hours 20minutes.

Thanks for helping me figure out the problem :)

15. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA get the USB 2.0 set up in your PC?

16. Not yet, it should be here on Monday.
  17. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Tyler, what OS are you running? IIRC only XP supports USB 2.0

My desktop has 2.0 hardware but since I was running Win2K, it only operated as 1.1
  18. I'm running Windows XP. It's just an older computer and so it has USB 1.1 in it.
  19. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Okay, so no problem there :p