MY J BASS GOT BEATUP IN THE NYC SUBWAY!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by akaTRENT, Aug 26, 2009.

1. akaTRENT

akaTRENT

Jan 10, 2009
    New Jersey
    So heres a little back story. I have three basses one of them being a mark hoppus jazz bass. I gig alot and the mark hoppus is the only one that rarely gets used, its more of a trophy piece to me because i love blink so I use it sparingly. This bass is also the only one with out and "road worn" in it hehe.

Anyway on Wednesdays I have a bass lesson in brooklyn. I'm coming from north jersey, have to take a bus and a subway to work and then a subway to my teacher in Brooklyn after work.

Now this morning I looked at my harshell case, and said, Nah I just use the gig bag I dont wanna lug that round the city. Boy was that a mistake.

Walking through the subway I had to avoid someone and smacked my basses body into a railing. And here's the damage...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Its on the top of the body by the hip near the back of the bass.

So the paint basically is chipped and is about to peel off, I think Im just gonna put a piece of electrical tape over and be done with this. Edit: superglue, will be the answer not tape, thanks guys...

How much would it be to get this repaired you guys think? I am bummed mainly because it was my only clean bass, but I guess **** happens. :rollno::bawl:

2. Dan Knowlton

Dan Knowlton Sometimes you're the dog, sometimes the tree Gold Supporting Member

Aug 12, 2002
    Palm Coast, FL
    Can you work a little superglue under the chip and squeeze the chip flat (with wax paper between the glue and your finger!)? If you use just a little glue it should bond without seeping out too much - certainly a lot better than taping it!

Dan K.

3. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville

Yes, because nothing says 'trophy piece' like a chunk of duct tape.

I'd really think that a syringe and a bit of adhesive (or careful super glue application as mentioned above) could fix that pretty decently. If you put duct tape on it, the tape is never coming off without peeling the paint chips with it... or more.

4. akaTRENT

akaTRENT

Jan 10, 2009
    New Jersey
    Yeah! is slightly dented though too. I can live with it being cracked. just not chipping you know?

I try this when i get home! if its still there that is...

5. akaTRENT

akaTRENT

Jan 10, 2009
    New Jersey
    HAHA! Good call. My girlfriend is actually a dental assistant, I can get a syringe from her, what kind of glue?

6. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

Sounds like a good solution. My vote is for this.

7. DeluxeRed

DeluxeRed

Jun 2, 2009
    And you certainly need a better story to go along with it. Howzabout something like "...so he wouldn't stop touching her then she made eye contact with me and the next thing I knew he was on the floor out cold and my MH had this dent in it..."

8. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

Super glue and a syringe. If you put tape over it, the appearance will be horrible and if you peel the tape off it will strip off the chip.

And this explains why I strive to never use gig bags unless I'm just carrying a bass from my home to a car.

9. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Nov 15, 2007
    Chicago
    Damn, tough break - the similar thing happened to my guitarist's brand new Telecaster a few days after he got it - his strap came unhooked when we were rehearsing and dropped it on the butt...

Same exact size chip you have there. He was pissed. I told him it looked cool and to invest in some straplocks...he still doesn't have straplocks...:rolleyes:

I'd put some glue under the chip or just break the whole thing off, but I like my basses beat.

10. akaTRENT

akaTRENT

Jan 10, 2009
    New Jersey
    I love my basses beat. just not this one :(

I knew i should have gotten an incase bag....

11. scatman

scatman

Jun 12, 2003
    I can show you the quite a few dents on my '62 Reissue. Rode the subway plenty of times with a gig-bag. My bass is 13 years old. I know that with time, it's gonna be in "some battles". Small dents, especially in the back or side, don't phase me, unless.....1) It's the cause for unplayability, 2) I want to put it on the block at market rate.

Having said that, the suggestions about crazy glue and syringes are good. For "market rate saleability", wipe the crazy glue resudue off immediately before it sticks and shows like a little spit mark!

12. CapnSev

CapnSev

Aug 19, 2006
    Coeur d'Alene
    Peel that paint off, Alice.

13. akaTRENT

akaTRENT

Jan 10, 2009
    New Jersey
    Yeah man i love marks some people are going to kill me for saying this but my jaguar and my rickenbacker have some nice dings, but they were from really playing out you know? and I expected it.

With this one I was trying to keep it clean haha oh well i guess the jag and my rick have a new buddy :bassist:

14. Um... To any of our honored law enforcement out there watching this board, I'm sure he's joking about aquiring a syringe without a script. :bag:

15. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Nov 15, 2007
    Chicago
    Any pics of the dinged up Ricky?

16. LanEvo

LanEvo Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2008
    Manhattan
    Super glue won't flow well through an insulin syringe anyway.

Just put a drop of superglue on the tip of a needle (or even toothpick) and gently place it under the chip. Then tape it down with some 3M painter's tape.

Nothing to it.

17. electracoyote

electracoyote Supporting Member

Trent, I mean no malice with this comment. It happens to the best of us, including me.
    that is why, regardless of the value of the bass, if I like the looks and want to keep it pretty, I spring for the hardshell. I have several basses in cases that cost nearly as much as the bass it houses.

18. With how my gear gets banged around in the trailor, a hard case is a must have. Gig bags are just a rediculious concept in any situation. Get one bro!

19. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Nov 15, 2007
    Chicago
    I think he has a hard-case, he just didn't want to carry it through a crowded subway in NYC - I know - I'm the same way when I travel through Chicago on the train...it's like carrying an ironing board around with you...I go padded gig bag all the way for local stuff.

20. akaTRENT

akaTRENT

Jan 10, 2009
    New Jersey
    Its not the kind your thinking of. haha its for molds or pouring whiting paste, like the kind that comes with anay whitening strip you can buy at the store. its plastic. not the the metal kind your thinking of.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 25, 2021