My J-bass styled project:

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Casey C., Apr 30, 2002.

1. Casey C.

Casey C.

Sep 16, 2000
    Butler, PA, USA
    I plan on making guitars and basses in my dad's wood working shop in my spare time. I would like to know if anyone knows where I can get a plan, pattern, or design of a J style body that I can use? I plan on modifying the pattern some so that it's some what different.

With that question asked, Here's what I want to make:

5 string
    Neck-through Construction
    35 inch scale
    Humbucking pickups (EMG or Basslines)
    2 octave neck
    low frets (I think)

Woods + Colors:
    Body: Zebrawood top + Maple or Alder bottom
    Low gloss Transparent Black
    Neck: Maple
    FretBoard: Maple
    Black Perloid J bass pickguard.

Any comments/suggestion?
  2. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Look up Warwick for top quality parts and design help. That neck through it going to be a real bear. Good luck! :)
  3. Musical Instrument Makers' Forum has plans that you can get for a J bass. Check it out at . They also have a ton of resources and answer to any question you could think of. I would also recommend getting Melvyn Hiscock's book Make Your Own Electric Guitar.

4. You have, sitting right on your desk, the most powerful patterning and design tool available - your computer. For my first Jazz, I took a Warmoth design and traced it, then scaled it to the proper dimensions. You can't tell any difference between it and a production body.

Get CorelDraw for easy scaling of your designs. You can also print full scale images of these designs for use in your shop.

And try coming down to the "Setup" forum for more in-depth discussions of building and luthiery.
  5. 35" with 2 octaves ? that would be a REAL deep cut...
  6. Casey C.

Casey C.

Sep 16, 2000
    Butler, PA, USA
    hmm... scratch the 2 octaves... :D
  7. Actually if you keep the bridge in the same position, you will only need an additional ~1.2" cut for a 35" 24 fret, as opposed to a 34" 22 fret.

Just a thought.