Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My J-replacement choosing is boiling down..

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Tsal, Apr 20, 2004.

1. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    ..And at the moment I'm partial to three pups: EMG J's, and DiMarzio Model J's or Ultra Jazzes. Also Basslines seem to be easily aquired from the stores around here, but I haven't found any particular model I would like to get. So here's what I am to choose from:

EMG J's: Sound - active, so I assume the output is there, but perhaps too "hi-fi" sounding - I do like clarity but I'm afraid these could be bit lifeless. Practicality - need battery change once in a while, and need to cut up my bass for installation.

DiMarzio Model J's: Sound - beefy, growly, cut through, as far as I have understood it. And that's what I like in my pups. But I have heard some clips, and am afraid the pingy highs quite aren't there. Practicality - also needs woodwork when installing.

DiMarzio Ultra Jazz: Practicality - easiest replacement for me, two neck pups is a drop in mod for my MIM Jazz, and passive too. Sound - nice highs, and I hope they do give out some of that Model J growl, but do they give enough? I don't want to be buried in the mix! Too tame?

Update! Duncan Quarterpounders: now officially in the competition. They seem to be quite nice for a passive pup, many people seem to have good experience from them, and actually can be found cheaper than DiMarzios, too - just don't ask me why, probably something to do with the importing companies. Not a straight drop in, but seem pretty nice.

- -

My needs: strong and gutty rock sound, plenty of balls and dirt, but a hint of sophistication in the highs wouldn't hurt. I already have a Ibanez ATK, and it being somewhat modern, I'd like to have more of a passive rocker as a second axe.

Interesting possibility: as I'm replacing the pickguard, I could possibly install a PJ-set, which might cater to my needs quite well.

So, good ideas anyone?

2. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Well, I would consider Barts, but I really haven't found any proper sites explaining what the differences between the models are, so it's kinda hard for me to try to figure out what would suit me best.

If I could find some info, they could be one possibility.

3. last week i put the Duncan QP's in my Jazz Bass and i couldn't be happier.
    For my needs they have been great.

i keep it with a push-pull for series/parallel and i can get a wonderful array of sound out of my bass.

i really like the QP's because i know have some highend defintion that wasn't originally there and the low end was huge. it is a very modern sounding pickup for a passive bass and i think you should really try them out.

plus they are cheap!

i also have a set of Antiquity II's sitting here that are about to go in my fretless Jazz bass. won't get a chance to throw them in until monday.

i'll let you know what i think!

4. MascisMan

MascisMan

Nov 21, 2003
    Dallas, Tx
    I have the Model J's in my Hwy 1 J-bass and they rule. Also didnt have to do any wood work for them to fit. Huge beef and cut and with my BBE preamp I get great highs.

5. Aaron J

Aaron J

Jul 16, 2003
    Cincinnati, OH
    I have to throw in my support for the Lindy Fralins j-pups. They have nice highs and growly low-mids. Check out the bassplayer review on Lindy's site http://www.fralinpickups.com/.

6. BFunk

BFunk Supporting Member

Also check out Bill Lawrence at www.billlawrence.com . If you are interested, PM me. I can tell you where you can get a like-new, unused pair for cheap. ;)

7. jad

jad

Aug 29, 2002
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I put a set of Dimarzio Model Js in my MIM J a couple of weeks ago. These are huge sounding pickups from the middle frequencies on down, but there is not much there in the highs. Certainly no sizzle, so if that's what you need look elsewhere. Personally, I love the sound.

I did have to remove a SMALL amount of wood to get the bridge pup in. I also had to clean up some of the rubbery goop they slather on to control feedback. The "ears" for the mounting screws didn't quite match the cutout in the pickguard either, so that required a bit of scraping. This was all done with a sharp half inch wide chisel. It was worth the effort.

8. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    William Villex of Villex pickups makes a very nice sounding and well balanced J Bass Pickup and there's a good chance that you may not have to modifie your Bass.his electronics are Passive.if you are interested feel free to contact William with any ?'s you may have

tovillex@aol.com