My Jay Haida - Trevor Davis Story

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by Ty Wiggins, Aug 11, 2018.

1. Ty Wiggins

Ty Wiggins

May 21, 2018
    As I've posted before, my Jay Haida bass set-up problems have finally ended. Thanks to a poster here, I discovered Trevor Davis is in Austin (Texas). I contacted him, and took my bass to him and explained my problem, not only with the improper set-up of the bass, but my left-hand tremor problem. Hokey smokes! Real nice guy, easy going and yet dead serious about all things bass. He looked over my bass, and pointed out things I didn't know existed, like the fact that there was an almost imperceptible gay between the fingerboard and the neck on the treble side in the half-position, and I mean imperceptible. Just tiny little gaps. In any event, he put on a new ebony tail-piece, new bridge with ebony adjusters, put in a new high-grade sound-post and adjusted accordingly, dressed the fingerboard, (he showed me the waves in it) re-glued the tiny gaps, he said it appeared that the fingerboard had been removed once before, and cut the bridge so that I could either raise or lower the action. What a world of difference! it's like a whole new bass. It's almost too easy to play. Unbelievable! I also had a chance to play the first bass he built (briefly), and he showed me his shop, with a Ceruti model and a cello under construction. Explained how he makes his own varnish, is working on purfling for the Ceruti and the cello. What a trip! In the event, it was a great experience, and obviously recommend him without question. My bass is now almost too easy to play!

2. Ty Wiggins

Ty Wiggins

May 21, 2018
    He also really hailed my Pierre-Yves Fuchs bow...

gnypp45 likes this.
  3. Ty Wiggins

Ty Wiggins

May 21, 2018
    Vis-a-vis my previous post, I forgot to mention Trevor also trimmed some of the"meat" off of the back of the neck at the heel (elbow, crook) and blended it in up towards the nut.

4. gnypp45

gnypp45

Apr 21, 2014
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Well spotted indeed.

5. Ty Wiggins

Ty Wiggins

May 21, 2018
    I obviously meant "gap".

6. gnypp45

gnypp45

Apr 21, 2014
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Oh! My bad!

7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 19, 2021