my jazz bass fell over for the first time today

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by kearney, Dec 19, 2004.

1. kearney

Jul 5, 2004
    yeah i wiped it clean the other day, and i was gonna play it today and left it leaning against my couch, fairly stable, go to wash my hands, and its laying comfortably on the ground, nobody heard a thump, i was completely baffled, but nuthin happened so im good
  2. Been there, done that, a few weeks ago. No dents or anything either. Gotta love Jazz basses!

My old Squier dented my friend's floor a few years ago. I had it on the couch, standing up, leaning against the back of the couch (bad idea?). Ironically, nothing on my bass. But the tuners left four little round dents in his floating floor.

And that's the end of that chapter. Look at it this way - now you won't be as scared to drop it or anything.
  3. Timbo

Jun 14, 2004
    I baby my equipment waaaaaaaay to much for that to ever happen.
  4. cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    You should've put it on a stand. Not that its a guarantee that it wont fall over.

I was doing a gig with my Jazz DLX 5 string. Set her on the stand and the bottom of the stand gave out, sent the bass crashing down onto the concrete floor. Went over to check it out, damn thing was still in tune and luckily not a scratch on it. I honestly believe you can knock baseballs around with these basses.
  5. troll

Aug 31, 2000
    Chicago area
    I don't think I've owned a single instrument that hasn't fallen over somehow sometime in it's life. No harm, no foul.

6. register2

Nov 15, 2003
    I use my bass to chop salami and change diapers on, and I don't even have kids.
  7. NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    i have dropped my jazz so many times....the dam thing even keeps its tuning! great little bass..

8. _Unregistered_

Nov 3, 2004
    Exactly how did each of you lean your basses?

I figured out a long time ago that you never lean an instrument on the back of its neck - it's much more apt to slide over that way. I always lean them down "strings side down" against the couch/bed/amp and they rarely slide.

I also never put them flat on a bed or floor face up, because a pitched back headstock is far more apt to snap if anything comes down on the instrument. It may sound counter-intuitive, but putting the instrument down face down is actually safer for the finish. Even on a hard floor the parts that are more likely to get harmed are the bridge and nut, maybe the knobs. All easily replaceable hardware in my estimation...better than damage to the headstock or finish.
  9. Beammeup

Oct 7, 2002

We don't do this on purpose, but it just happens :meh:
  10. I was asleep on the couch the other day with one of my custom basses sitting in the chair next to me. My wife woke me up and said "didn't you hear that?" Confused I said "hear what?"

Apparently my one year old climbed up on the chair and pulled my bass down on the floor. My wife heard it from across the house. I checked it out and there wasn't a scratch on it. Can't blame my little one for wanting to get his hands on a bass. Thats my boy!!!
  11. dBerriff

Oct 2, 2004
    Oakham, UK
    I remember when my then newish USA Jazz bass just rotated sideways off a stand with a heart stopping crash. It was a cheap stand, and I've always used QuickLok or stands that support the neck since then. I couldn't find a mark on the Jazz, but it had me worried for a few moments. The offset body might look good, but it does mean you have to be careful. :meh:
  12. AlembicPlayer

AlembicPlayer Im not wearing shorts

Aug 15, 2004
    Pacific Northwet, USA
    what's the problem?'s a Fender ! It's not like it's a Gibson or something ;)
  13. If I'm at home and put the bass on the sofa, I seat it in the corner of the sofa, so it won't slide off. Usually strings down, with the headstock not jutting into any walkways.

Once, a couple of years ago, while setting up in the ballroom at a wedding gig, my basses were on stands next to the drums. the drummer, being an A1 thick dork, decided to knock my favourite Aria ZZB (explorer shape) bass off its stand. It went down flat on its face on a hard floor. The crash it hit the floor with was unbelievable!

The resulting "******* hell" at top note from me could probably be heard by all that were having their meal in another room, through a few closed doors, 50 yards away. Meanwhile, the drummer just walked away from it, as if nothing had happened. no apology, nothing.

Fortunately, the bass was completely intact. My other bass that day was a fretless. If he had broken my Aria, I would have just packed up my gear and gone home. 'Do the wedding yourselves, boys....'

That's when I made up my mind to leave that group.
    Best thing I ever did, too.
  14. A couple days after I just got my Geddy Lee jazz, I dropped a drom tom on it by accident.

Then I realised dents and scraths are bound to happen anyways, so I let little dents and smacks go as they are.
  15. dBerriff

Oct 2, 2004
    Oakham, UK
    Good point. If it was a Gibson I would have been too busy trying to glue the headstock back on. :D

In my defence it was my first decent bass.
  16. AlembicPlayer

AlembicPlayer Im not wearing shorts

Aug 15, 2004
    Pacific Northwet, USA

oh've got that right.
    Here..let me help you feel better :)

17. buzzbass

buzzbass Shoo Shoo Retarded Flu !

Apr 23, 2003
    Even though that's a guitar, I hope someone got an ass whoopin' over that.
  18. pointbass

pointbass Semi-Retired Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
    If you're a working bass player it's a good possibility that the axe is going down at some point, no matter how careful you are with it. Like they said above, that's the cool part of having a Fender, they can take the abuse. After all, when Leo first built them, they were known as a "working man's" bass.
  19. Similar thing happened in my house yesterday. I was practicing in the front room and heard a commotion in the back of the house, involving my 2 year old.

I go back to see what he's gotten into, meanwhile he hightailed up the hallway, through the spare room and onto the couch.

Apparently the li'l guy wanted to start his own music lessons.

No harm to my baby, or my son. :D