1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

My Jazz Bass from Relic Guitars The Hague / RGTH

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by momopez, Apr 13, 2019.

1. momopez

momopez

Jan 6, 2011
    Hi all low-end lovers,

[Edit: The company is calling my genuine experience from a customer point of view defamatory, so I have taken out the controversial wordings to protect my own interest, on a without prejudice and without admission of liability basis.]

Today, I want to share my experience with a company called Relic Guitars The Hague / RGTH.
    Here's their official website & social accounts:
    Relic Guitars The Hague
    Relic Guitars The Hague
    Relic Guitars The Hague (@relicguitarsth) • Instagram photos and videos

Few months ago I posted a thread here, looking for general advice on issues found on my custom made Jazz bass ordered from this company. At that time I didn't disclose the name of the company, because I tried to talk to the company and get promised to fix all the mess for me. And so, I waited for a few months, and that just brings me another huge disappointment.

Here's the full story:

I made my custom order of a Jazz bass in Oct 2018, and received it in Dec 2018.

There a number of problems on the Jazz bass when it arrived.
    1) Misalignment of pickup cavities
    2) Misalignment of bridge
    3) Misalignment of nut
    4) Fret dents

I talked to the company and asked for a refund, because these misalignment are totally not acceptable to me since we are talking about a custom shop quality handmade bass here.
    But the company refused to do so, and asked me to ship the bass back for repairing, and promised they will do what they can to have it fixed.
    So I gave it a second chance with no choice, and shipped the Jazz bass back to their shop.

Then in Feb, they updated me that they are making a new Jazz body and replacing the fretboard for me. Woohoo, it sounds pretty promising. Isn’t it?
    But when I finally received the “repaired” Jazz bass 2 days ago, I am speechless.
    Let’s check the side by side comparison of the Jazz bass, before-and-after their “repairing”. The one on the left hand side is the Jazz bass I have received in Dec 2018, and on the right hand side it is sent to me 2 days ago.
    All the issues I stated above are still there, except the fret dents are being "leveled", which are still barely visible through.
    The body and fretboard looks like the same, so I talked to the company again, and they said they use template and standardized body for such result. And for the fretboard, they said "when you have a big chunk of wood and you slice it into thin pieces the grain is almost identical".
    I am still getting rejected for a refund on this purchase, and they even haven't sent me back the return shipping fee yet.
    What do you think?

Thanks for watching.

42E38E0A-606C-47B7-B358-346915EBECC4.JPG
    6004B100-E960-4609-8088-38AAEFC85621.JPG 6004B100-E960-4609-8088-38AAEFC85621.JPG
    771D7B84-97AE-4125-A77B-D9C6ED36B1F0.JPG
    111AC3D5-AF2C-4C9F-9FCA-DE412E3E9663.JPG
    41B86202-8868-4274-BFC2-EE4263E91609.JPG
    7B1DD530-C3B6-40BD-8F5E-A4FE43B59D2C.JPG
    5D3D97DB-5AD8-421F-8966-2EEA7CAB504B.JPG
    85F9151C-A2AB-4536-AF13-5405B09CD74C.JPG
    B5327ED0-06C2-44B1-B17C-DDB9A28299F4.JPG
    AF8FD6A1-7652-40E5-819A-D6C1D34B438A.JPG
    DC5FECD3-EFEF-4076-A7B3-7197A93825AF.JPG
    AAA2CBB6-545B-40C6-A066-32973176C27B.JPG
    4D0DFC3D-D0D2-4115-8975-AB81871CA415.JPG
    1FF93F9A-EDC3-4D3F-8AC7-00B63F9FDF9D.JPG
    BED8BD3C-2E0F-4DA5-BD2E-697FD5882AB6.JPG
    IMG_1206.JPG

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 20, 2019 at 10:44 AM
  2. Spectre1966

Spectre1966 Striving For Mediocrity Supporting Member

Jul 4, 2014
    Wallingford, CT
    I can see why you would be upset....I would be pretty ticked off....

Personally, I just don’t understand paying 2k+ for a custom built guitar that is then banged up, scratched up, and loaded up with rusty hardware. Regardless, not very high quality craftsmanship.

ppiluk, MonetBass, roccobass and 31 others like this.
  3. mdogs

mdogs Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2010
    Constant state of flux
    I didn’t see where this was a post about relicing. But, I don’t see where the poor craftsmanship is? If he lied, that’s one thing...but, I have a pretty hard and fast rule, never buy a bass from a builder of which I have never heard. Served me pretty well so far, never had one of these situations.

4. momopez

momopez

Jan 6, 2011
    Yes sir, that's personal preference, and I respect everyone's taste.
    I was looking for a bass painted with nitro, I kind of digging the relic-looking finishing....and I was taking reference from one of my bass hero's vintage Fender Jazz bass, that's how it turns out.
    Anyway...it was totally a mistake for me to go for this company, I rather save up more bucks to get a Fender CS shop, now I understand why it costs more than a small custom shop... :rollno:

merseymale, Tbone76 and Spectre1966 like this.
  5. momopez

momopez

Jan 6, 2011
    Please have a look at the conversation between me and the company.
    What do you think?

IMG_1213.PNG IMG_1254.PNG IMG_1255.PNG IMG_1256.PNG IMG_1257.PNG IMG_1258.PNG IMG_1259 2.PNG IMG_1260 2.PNG IMG_1261.PNG IMG_1262.PNG IMG_1263.PNG IMG_1264.PNG

Edit: Profanity issue, sorry.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2019 at 10:03 AM
    Alan Scharrer likes this.
  6. tradernick

tradernick Supporting Member

Mar 19, 2008
    The pictures of the bodies at the top appear to show the same bass... or else they relic their basses using a template and all the nicks and gouges appear in the same spot for every bass. Which seems highly unlikely.

But please tell us - what exactly is his explanation for the two identical screw holes on either side of the bridge? Or this is something you had requested for aesthetic purposes? To give the look of a bass that had had its bridge replaced?

This must be the case.

I read the text exchange but couldn't really figure it out.

7. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    the Cali Intergalctic Mind Space
    Song Surgeon slow downer software- full 4 hour demo
    How does it sound? How does it play? If it sounds good...

It's a relic'd finish...looks good to me.

merseymale, zeegler, nilorius and 2 others like this.
  8. On plenty of basses the strings don't match the pole pieces perfectly,especially from FMIC. If you wanted a replica of a JB then that looks pretty bang on.

The nut though is poor,$4 to replace.

9. momopez

momopez

Jan 6, 2011
    Hi Nick, no, I did not request that for aesthetic purposes...I actually cannot think of this could be a reason until you said so...haha
    And of course I could not expect they would change the bridge after they "repaired" the bass, so I could not have asked for that.

Here is their reply:
    IMG_1261.PNG [/quote]

10. momopez

momopez

Jan 6, 2011
    Hi Stumbo, to be frank I am still frustrated to test it out.
    I did plug and played for a while, but there are lots of fret buzz, probably due to transportation and change in humidity, to be fair it needs a proper setup before I can test anything out.
    But then, there is a dead spot on the G string 19th fret (which is found at the first time I received back in Dec 2018), the fret leveling works is not so favorable I would say.

11. eastcoasteddie

eastcoasteddie

Mar 24, 2006
    NoVA
    Is it entirely possible that they drill all their bodies for that one particular bridge with the 2 extra holes (the first one you got), then got you the bridge with adjustable saddles after the fact? That would explain why there are the extra holes under the current bridge...

Could those holes be for an Ashtray cover?

12. momopez

momopez

Jan 6, 2011
    Sorry Sir, but what is FMIC?
    If you look at the bridge you can clearly see that it is not vertically (if you look from the view how I took the picture) aligned with the fret, is that acceptable on your book?

And this issue persist after they "repaired" the bass by changing a new body...?

Please check the dialogue below:
    IMG_1213.PNG

Last edited: Apr 20, 2019 at 10:07 AM
  13. tradernick

Mar 19, 2008
    So they are claiming they built you a new bass, then put a bridge on it, then replaced that bridge? And they did this because they found that the pole pieces on the pickups weren't lined up?

"That's why we replaced the bridge with a new one"

I'm totally confused. They built you a new body and then installed a bridge... and then what? Realized that with the old neck, the bridge on the new body wouldn't work? If this is the case, it's totally ridiculous that they did not figure out that the pole pieces would not align before they installed the new bridge on the 'new' body. That's not believable.

If I received a custom build with empty screw holes because they had drilled holes, installed a bridge, realized it was the wrong bridge, then installed a new bridge without at the very least making the drill holes invisible, I would send it back without even asking if they would accept it.

Fialka likes this.
  14. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    I'm guessing you're from the Netherlands, Belgium, Germany, or France and this seller was chosen because shipping was a consideration?

15. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru.......... Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2006
    Hmm. how can one tell the difference, really, given the nature of the instrument, itself?

I think one of the first things that need a definition is - CUSTOM SHOP QUALITY - what is the definitive definition of that? A custom shop can be a high end shop, or the guy in a back alley hut, really. The custom part is that they are making something to ones particular request; that doesn't, necessarily, mean it's going to be any good, right? Just custom made/one-off/ whatever it is one wanted, I would think. The quality part is something separate from the custom part.

Or, not.

16. momopez

momopez

Jan 6, 2011
    Hi Eddie,
    The bridge before "repair" has 6 screws, circled Red below.
    And after they said they had made me a new body, the 2 screw holes which are not functional for the new bridge, is still under the new bridge.
    Please check the second image.
    6004B100-E960-4609-8088-38AAEFC85621.JPG
    IMG_1206.JPG

Last edited: Apr 20, 2019 at 10:08 AM
  17. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru.......... Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2006
    I am glad I did not follow such a hard and fast rule when I met Martin Keith and bought my first bass from him. :thumbsup:

Last edited: Apr 13, 2019
    RickyT and abotaun like this.
  18. momopez

momopez

Jan 6, 2011
    No Sir, I am from Hong Kong.
    I first found these guys from Reverb and I was attracted by their listings and pulled the trigger to make my order.
    To me, the shipping part is less considered because if I order something from US instead (e.g. RS guitarworks), it will take the same cost / time / risk...

19. momopez

momopez

Jan 6, 2011
    Like you said, if they really made me a new body, it is quite impossible for them to install the pickups and bridge not aligning correctly AGAIN. After all, this is a returning bass after I made my complain. Even if they use template and standardized body, it should not be happened.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2019 at 10:11 AM
    merseymale and Mili like this.
  20. tradernick

Mar 19, 2008
    The guy is obviously having a tough time. I think this post is a ungracious at best. We're happy you had a good experience.

Only theoretically...and I won't say how I feel about theoreticians.

Custom Shop in practical terms means the boutique arm of an established maker.

GregC, merseymale, Tbone76 and 9 others like this.