1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

My Jazz Bass from Relic Guitars The Hague / RGTH

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by momopez, Apr 13, 2019.

1. Fialka

Fialka

Jul 29, 2018
    This is how they strung it? Are you kidding me? I would return it just because of this.

2. Herrick

Herrick

Jul 21, 2010
    Munchkin Land
    I looked on their website but couldn't find what their return/refund policy is. That right there would've kept me from ordering from them. On the FAQ, there's something about "helping you out if there's a problem with one of our guitars" but that doesn't necessarily mean they'll accept returns.

3. FenderB

FenderB

Mar 28, 2016
    Findlay, Ohio
    Agree, never understood the "relic" thing.

4. BobKos

BobKos

Apr 13, 2007
    OP - Thanks for taking the time to share your situation in great detail. It is unfortunate that this happened to you. I am not a great player, but I enjoy great basses. I understand the want to have something different and to my own tastes. I understand exactly why you would order this bass from a builder. The price seems reasonable for such a build. It is not ridiculously inexpensive as a scam would appear. What you received COULD have been your dream bass if the builder had made the effort to do it right. Unfortunately you have your current situation.

If it is any consolation, I have a friend who commissioned a custom 6 string from a very reputable local luthier. My friend spent HUGE money sourcing exotic woods and components for the build - all agreed to by the luthier. The luthier took an incredible 3 years to put it all together. My friend was anxious but very patient with the luthier. He understood that rushing and pressuring the luthier will cause mistakes. He wanted this dream guitar realized and was willing to endure all financial and time expense necessary to mak it happen. When my friend finally got his guitar, the luthier basically gave it to him. He was too embarassed to charge any money for it. There was nothing right about it. It was a total waste for all involved. It looked like an amateur hour woodshop project. Unbelievable! Sadly it was dismantled shortly thereafter, the wood discarded and the hardware saved for future builds. My friend spared no criticism in the guitar circles of the luthier. The luthier suffered a tarnished reputation pretty quick following that incident and others.

It takes alot of courage to admit in a public forum that you were screwed over. Yes - your efforts will help save others from a similar fate so a huge THANK YOU for that. Once the storm blows over and there are no financial avenues of recourse available, I think you should take the time to make the bass playable. You may discover that you CAN do the work necessary to make the bass a killer Jazz Bass. At the end of the day it looks like you have a good foundation to start with. You may discover that some of the faults are really are cosmetic only and really do not affect playability. At that point you will be able to enjoy your investment and move forward.

Fenwick, merseymale, raal and 11 others like this.
  5. MordBass

MordBass

Nov 1, 2017
    Midwest
    I would be talking to Reverb since they likely dont want their site to turn into the wild west and should be willing to help out with this rogue builder.

ppiluk, merseymale, raal and 3 others like this.
  6. MordBass

MordBass

Nov 1, 2017
    Midwest
    Soooo not to make you more mad but I think I stumbled onto something....

Has anybody considered that the "custom builder" is buying chinese knockoffs and then spraying/relic'ing them and putting his name on the headstock?

Factory Wholesale GYJB 5007 Yellow Color White Plate Chrome Hardware 4 String Jazz Bass Electric Guitar, Free Shippinge Black Electric Guitars Ovation Electric Guitar From Proguitar, $169.85| DHgate.Com

Look at that Jazz from DH Gate. Same headstock shape, same wonky crooked nut, same poles out of alignment, same truss rod access, same shallow/cheap and off center inlays.....

7. momopez

momopez

Jan 6, 2011
    Yup...back in Dec 2018 when I first received the bass (before I spent time the other day to discover more and more issues), I even giving out my humble feedback to the builder on this point. I feel so dumb right now hahaha.

IMG_1287.PNG

Last edited: Apr 20, 2019 at 10:22 AM
  8. momopez

momopez

Jan 6, 2011
    Yup I agree on that...I didn't think thoroughly, I was on the "believe in humanity" side.. :roflmao: just j/k
    Their website has been revamped for 1-2 months or so, I couldn't recall if there is any return policy, I bet no...

9. Gougedeye

Gougedeye Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2008
    Central Washington
    By my calculations, you have until May for the P-bass. Contact Paypal and see if they can help you.

I do have a question, Is there any way you could have that bass set up by a professional luthier or tech? Maybe a barrel style bridge with the ridges in the saddles might help to better align the strings with the pups. Unfortunately, you may have to make lemonade with the lemon you got. I hope a bit of tweeking might make this bass more playable for you. Good luck to you.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2019 at 8:50 AM
    merseymale likes this.
  10. momopez

momopez

Jan 6, 2011
    Thanks for your kind words and support.
    Sorry to hear your friend's story indeed....
    Yea I truly know how your friend feels, this Jazz Bass was a clone of my dream bass. Now I have learnt a lesson and I will work harder on my bass playing, saving up and make myself qualify to get an authentic Fender...someday :thumbsup:

merseymale likes this.
  11. Artman

Artman Supporting Member

I feel bad for you. The company has definitely done you wrong. I can think of a lot of $2k basses I’d rather play for sure. Come to think of it, I can think of a lot of sub $1k basses I’d rather play. Bummer. Bad business those guys.

merseymale likes this.
  12. momopez

momopez

Jan 6, 2011
    Thank you Sir for your support!

merseymale likes this.
  13. momopez

momopez

Jan 6, 2011
    Whoops...I almost had a heart attack by reading this.
    I found it hilarious and sad at the same time...I have a mixed feeling right now OMG lol
    The headstock even wrote "custom bass guitar"...

I don't know, I did as much research I can do before I made the order, I found some nice guitars / bass photo from their social platforms and Reverb....I can only say I am in terribly bad luck.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2019 at 10:24 AM
    merseymale likes this.
  14. MDBass

MDBass Supporting Member

Nov 7, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Dingwall-Fender-Jule-Dunlop-Tech 21-Darkglass-Nordstrand
    You’ve clearly never played a Nash: they feel and sound every bit as good as a CS Fender for considerably less money.

The Fender CS is also a “parts assembler” by your definition ;)

15. momopez

momopez

Jan 6, 2011
    Thank you Sir, I have contacted PayPal on the P bass and appealing the Jazz bass case at the same time, finger crossed for any good news upcoming.

If end up I really have to deal with the Jazz bass, I will try to look for a local tech to see what I can get from that.
    Cheers!

16. MDBass

MDBass Supporting Member

Nov 7, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Dingwall-Fender-Jule-Dunlop-Tech 21-Darkglass-Nordstrand
    Clearly not ;)

17. JZQuantum

JZQuantum Supporting Member

Oct 12, 2008
    That's not good customer service from the seller. How does he expect to gain a customer base if he can't satisfy 1 customer?

I expect a custom bass builder to be totally willing and able to get you the "exact" bass you want, no matter how long it takes. At $2,000, that should be enough to get you there.

And for $1200, one could build the ultimate custom bass from top-notch Warmoth body and neck with boutique style hardware and electronics. Sure, it would have bad resale value, but it would be as good as a $2500 to 4000 bass if you pick the parts properly. Can't build a bass? Pay a luther $125 to assemble it for you. You're still under $2000! :thumbsup:

For $2,000, you could get a Nash jazz bass and I almost guarantee you will be satisfied with it. It comes tastefully relice'd, too.

Did you pay with PayPal? You might have buyer protection working on your side if so.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2019
    merseymale and momopez like this.
  18. roogbass

roogbass Supporting Member

Feb 18, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Eich endorser.
    European Bass Market

Perhaps you should share your bad experience here.

But thanks for the warning, i live very near this shop.
    I will avoid it carefully!

merseymale, momopez and Cliff Colton like this.
  19. bolophonic

bolophonic

Dec 10, 2009
    Durham, NC
    Bro, I don’t even know what to say about all that splintered wood on the Precision neck joint. In addition to everything else about those two basses.

momopez likes this.
  20. Rip Van Dan

Rip Van Dan Supporting Member

Feb 2, 2009
    Duvall, WA
    The two holes outside the width of the bridge ARE holes for the ashtray cover. My bass is absolutely NOT a relic bass and I was working at the music store when we got it as a trade in. It was in mint shape. It has those two holes with some paint in them and the pickup covers were in separate plastic bags. The music store removed and sold the pickup covers separately. So if he was talking about that, then it wouldn't be a problem. You can see the two holes that are supposed to be there in the picture of them in my '82 Jazz Bass below:

AshtrayHoles_600x450.

But I believe what he's talking about is that the first bridge had 5 holes along the lower part of the bridge and two along the upper part of the bridge above the saddles. The second bridge as the same 5 holes along the lower part of the bridge, but there are no screws in the bridge along the upper edge above the saddles. Yet, when he pulled the new bridge off, lo and behold, there were the two holes up there from the previous bridge. They were covered up by the upper edge of the new bridge but are easily seen with the bridge off.