1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

My Jazz Bass from Relic Guitars The Hague / RGTH

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by momopez, Apr 13, 2019.

1. Axstar

Axstar

Jul 8, 2016
    East of Eden.
    Fender designs are hard to mess up; any properly dialled in partscaster should perform well. I don't want to play a Nash. They are ugly instruments, assembled from generic parts and sold at vast markup. They are ugly guitars for Boomers to waste their money on.

The Fender CS doesn't buy Warmoth parts, say, screwdriver them together, stick on anonymous off-brand hardware and call it a day. Nash, Swade and many others to this.

If you need a vintage reprieve, get JohnK or Gil Yarron to build you a real instrument, as these guys are actual luthiers not hacks with sandpaper.

Plus, which has better residual value, a Nash or Fender CS?

MattZilla, Tekkers and 4sight like this.
  2. Slater

Slater Leave that thing alone. Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    The neck pocket tear-out on the P-Bass is totally unacceptable.

Also, those plastic plugs on the truss rod access look very similar to Squier.

3. Hues

Hues

Nov 27, 2012
    see Burn Notice
    Obvious identical inlays aside....The grain in the board itself is the same.

00af.

4. LT131

LT131

Jan 25, 2015
    Deep South
    That was my thought also. That neck looks like the cheapest of knockoffs.

To the OP sorry about your issues. Hopefully PayPal will come through and, even though a most likely a futile gesture, you should at least make Reverb aware of this. If you cannot recoup your losses at least make this guys business practices public.

5. db59

db59 Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2015

Well ok .....I have a Fender CS and a Nash....not really apples to apples comparison as the CS cost considerably more.....weird my Nash is beautiful...must be the sun in my eyes.....residual value ,hmmmm.....my Sadowsky
    is higher than my Lull, so is the Lull less a bass guitar?.....anyway back to the "classifieds"

BurningSkies and MDBass like this.
  6. MordBass

MordBass

Nov 1, 2017
    Midwest
    Thats what was leading me to think this might be the case. Its not like a mistake was made here or there. I simply cant imagine somebody of that skill level deciding to start a company making instruments.

momopez likes this.
  7. zubrycky

zubrycky

Aug 22, 2011
    Thanks for the warning, OP. I'm sorry for all the problems you had.

merseymale and momopez like this.
  8. Mosfed

Mosfed

Apr 21, 2013
    Chamonix Mont-Blanc
    Partner - CCP Pedals
    Is there a reason why you decided to buy a Precision from them as well after having been burned on the Jazz?

9. MDBass

MDBass Supporting Member

Nov 7, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Dingwall-Fender-Jule-Dunlop-Tech 21-Darkglass-Nordstrand
    Sorry, you’re speaking from a place of ignorance here: I’m a Fender endorsing artist and my friend’s Nash feels and sounds just as good as the CS Relics I’ve played.

If you don’t dig the relic look I totally get that, but suggesting that Nash aren’t top shelf instruments assembled and set up by true pros is simply incorrect.

There isn’t any significant difference between an All Parts Fender style body and a “genuine” Fender style body, both Nash and Fender use CNC’d necks and bodies with the same shapes and the same woods: the quality of the finish and setup work and the pickups is what’s most important, and they’re both excellent.

Nash instruments also hold their resale just as well as Fenders do, by and large.

Keyser Soze, ruju, db59 and 1 other person like this.
  10. Maybe that is their stock Fender Jazz body and they all have those pre-drilled holes?

11. Robert Darby

Robert Darby Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2018
    I don't get the relic thing. Sorry to hear about your trouble though. That really sucks. :cool:

momopez and bobyoung53 like this.
  12. 4sight

4sight Supporting Member

Wow, burned twice by the same "builder"... So sorry for you man, hope you can get it sorted :(

momopez likes this.
  13. Nobody should ever underestimate the reach/range of this forum.

14. TonH

TonH

Jan 26, 2011
    The Netherlands
  15. bassstrangler

bassstrangler

Mar 2, 2015
    AZ
    That was my exact thought. This clown isn't building or making anything. He's damaging and painting crap. He's doing the exact opposite of polishing a turd.

Maybe he's practicing his skills on these junk basses, and charging through the roof for his knockoff to fund his next step in the evolution of fake worn basses. Next step Squiers for $3k then Fender MIMs for $4k.

16. MordBass

MordBass

Nov 1, 2017
    Midwest
    Right? Way too many similarities and far too little shop pics on his insta/website

merseymale likes this.
  17. bassstrangler

bassstrangler

Mar 2, 2015
    AZ
    It might also be due to the fact , you got sold a refinished relic style bass, that was made in China and cost less than $200 new.

merseymale, momopez and Cliff Colton like this.
  18. Axstar

Axstar

Jul 8, 2016
    East of Eden.
    I don't have a problem with the relic stuff. At worst it is maybe a bit of a case of stolen valour, but clearly a worn-looking guitar aids some musicians in achieving greater heights in their musicianship, for whatever reason.

My issue is more with the celebrity big-badge relic'ers who make a name for themselves buying off-the-shelf aftermarket bodies and necks, and who then give them the sort of gruesome battle-weary finish that that you never see on real vintage instruments. I'm talking about that pumpkin orange lacquer that is abruptly sanded away from the back of necks. Metal hardware that has some sort of corrosive etchant fumed over it. Pretend rust. Unhygienic looking discolouration on any white plastic hardware. Finish wear that looks like it was achieved with a wire wheel on a dremel, and the bare wood was then stained with Nescafe. All of the above in a single instrument!

It seems like a cynical, easy gig for making money from musicians scrabbling to purchase instruments that add a level of depth and meaning to their playing that they otherwise can't dredge up. Case in point: plenty of not so top shelf luthiery to be found in here:Nash Jazzmaster tear-down and WHY NASH guitars SUCK - OffsetGuitars.com

Somebody should also inform Mr. Nash that the saddles on a Telecaster aren't meant to be adjusted so that they sit in a straight line.

Perhaps over time the guy has got good at assembling parts instruments, but I'm good at assembling parts instruments. It is a skill anybody should be able to pick up. Fundamentally you can build parts instruments on your kitchen table. I'm in no way qualified to build actual bass guitars out of raw wood, but give me $2k and a shopping list and I'll go buy what you want from AllParts, Seymour Duncan, Hipshot or whatever, and build you a working bass. I'll even hit the back of the neck with steel wool and roll the edge of the fretboard, and then you can call it 'top shelf' too.

Fundamentally, if I go to a good restaurant I want my food prepared by a chef who knows and understand the ingredients. I don't want a guy opening up a few microwave meals and mashing them together. That chef might be able to garnish them nicely and present them really well on the plate. He might be able to season the dishes well. He might decide to throw away the burger bun here, or sous-vide an element of the dish designed to be oven-baked there, but he is still cooking from a bunch of pre-made elements he had no hand in producing or any real understanding of.

Sadowsky and Lull both actually build their instruments out of raw lumber. Those guys are luthiers. Those guys have been with your instrument on every stage of its creation. They've felt every contour, dialed in every component, and polished every last inch of it (unless you wanted a satin finish). This is a level of attention-to-detail you don't get out of a production line instrument. None of my gear has had this level of attention, and sometimes it really shows!

Nash and co buy parts and assemble them. If the neck feels amazing on your Nash it is because the guy manning the mill in the All Parts factory did a good job, and Nash simply finished it off in a way you like. Nash and co pretend to be luthiers, but they are nothing of the sort.

bradd, kodiakblair and petrus61 like this.
  19. Axstar

Axstar

Jul 8, 2016
    East of Eden.
    You didn't discuss neck geometry with Nash prior to purchase and get something custom made to your requirements?

20. DDXdesign

DDXdesign formerly 'jammadave' Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    I have been intrigued by the Hague guitars myself - I love a good relic even if it is faux-wear.

BUT! boil this case down to one simple fact, regardless how you like your customs or relics or not: RGTH said they built the OP a new body, and they had not. Everything else is just icing.

Some apparent sins could be coincidental, but this is obvious, right here: just paint filling in the previous exposed holes - the odds against that exact grouping of dents existing on two different bodies that had been reliced differently is astronomical:
    Annotation 2019-04-14 172336.

merseymale and momopez like this.