1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

My Jazz Bass from Relic Guitars The Hague / RGTH

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by momopez, Apr 13, 2019.

1. dbsfgyd1

dbsfgyd1

Jun 11, 2012
    Richmond , Va
    Thanks for sharing. Sorry your are going through this.

I know hindsight is alway 20-20, but I would never, ever, buy instrument without a through examination before I'll part with my cash. and even then for a custom shop or brand new instrument, it will have preferrably a warranty or at least 30 day money back guarantee if used.

momopez likes this.
  2. -Asdfgh-

-Asdfgh-

Apr 13, 2010
    UK
    If you look at the saddles they are closer to the edge on the treble side. I think the pickup, in this case, might be aligned correctly but you need to fiddle with where the strings go over the threaded saddles to get the right distribution.

momopez likes this.
  3. -Asdfgh-

-Asdfgh-

Apr 13, 2010
    UK
    Same as many generic parts up to around £150 for a neck.

merseymale, Axstar and Slater like this.
  4. AboutSweetSue

AboutSweetSue

Sep 29, 2018
    Lebanon, TN
    People will spend a great amount of money on art because it is well done, it is truly created by an artist. I view relic’d basses the same way. If they are well done, I suppose it’s worth the money if you approach your reasoning for purchase from an aesthetic standpoint. It’s just, it’s gotta play well too, hold up well if you actually plan on playing it, not just looking at it.

merseymale, momopez and MordBass like this.
  5. MDBass

MDBass Supporting Member

Nov 7, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Dingwall-Fender-Jule-Dunlop-Tech 21-Darkglass-Nordstrand
    You’re pretty clearly not reading what I’m writing: I don’t own a Nash and I personally endorse Fender instruments.

You just happen to be objectively wrong about the quality of instruments Nash is currently producing, but for some reason have a very emotionally invested opinion despite having no direct experience with them.

So much so that we’re now bordering on rant territory in a thread that has literally nothing to do with Nash instruments.

Sorry to hear the OP got ripped off by an unscrupulous hack: Bill Nash is neither of those things.

Have a nice Sunday ya’ll :thumbsup:

db59 and BurningSkies like this.
  6. Keyser Soze

Keyser Soze Supporting Member

No, I bought my Nash used, here in the TB classifieds for much less than retail. Sold it here, too, for what I paid for it.

7. Mike Whitfield

Mike Whitfield

Apr 10, 2019
    :D That was pretty much my thoughts exactly. I'm no fan of relic finishes - seems like a travesty to take a perfect new instrument and intentionally make it look like crap - but this looks like a very very cheap 60s Japanese bass which has divided its time between being stored in an unconditioned attic space and being used as an all-purpose alligator club and boat paddle. Dang!

OP, thanks for sharing your experience - it might keep someone else from making a big mistake. Hopefully your country has a way to obtain a refund as there doesn't really appear to be anything there worth paying even a couple hundred US.

momopez likes this.
  8. momopez

momopez

Jan 6, 2011
    Thanks for your kind advice.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2019 at 10:25 AM
    merseymale and roogbass like this.
  9. momopez

momopez

Jan 6, 2011
    Oh man, thanks for taking your time to mark that, yup if I took the photo on the right hand side with proper lighting it will be more obvious!

merseymale and Hues like this.
  10. momopez

momopez

Jan 6, 2011
    I ordered the P bass in Nov 2018 during a Black Friday / Cyber Monday sale, with roughly 40% discount. So at that time the Jazz bass was not ready and shipped to me yet...
    My bad to be that impulsive.....:banghead:

11. momopez

momopez

Jan 6, 2011
    Thank you Sir, that's definitely something I will try!!

12. momopez

momopez

Jan 6, 2011
    Thank you for spotting that out Sir, that's the exact thing I want to show to everyone, and that's why this particular side-by-side comparison has quite a different angle.

13. Gunga Din

Gunga Din

Jun 22, 2018
    To me, the bridge isn't off-centre; the rear pup cavity certainly is.

Nash isn't cheap gear but I had two and liked them.

Axstar likes this.
  14. Hey Spectre1996, can you send me a link for that "Lefties Who Play Right Handed" forum? I'm a southpaw who re-taught myself to play right handed!

Grapevine921 likes this.
  15. Thanks for the alert Momopez! You could be saving a lot of people a lot of grief as well as overturning the rock a crook's hiding under.

merseymale likes this.
  16. This is unfortunate. Sorry you have to deal with it.

17. merseymale

merseymale

Oct 28, 2018

Okay okay
    I don’t want to be THAT guy and I inly have the information given on the original post, here but I have to say that those bodies are not necessarily the same body!

In fact if I had to bet on it I’d say that wasn’t the case at all

It does look as if -at the very least- the pickups, specially the bridge one, are misaligned, Or at the very least, the bridge-based one is in the neck and the next space one is in the bridge (?!)and the scary news is that it’s one of those things that is fairly easy to correct-especially if the repairer has access to refinishing tools, which they clearly have!

It goes without saying that the neck is the same neck but the hardware is different,?such as the bridge, so who knows what else is different…

It’s a moot point, really, regarding The body because even if it’s a different one they both have the same problems!

You can see the truss rod access is obviously showing that this neck was not built by them so they’re just doing what a lot of us often do ie: build a bass from other peoples parts

I have to conclude there is nothing wrong with that
    However IF you’ve paid custom shop prices then that IS a rip-off no matter how well put together the bass is.

We can only see the bass here (which of course is very important!) But we can’t see any documentation from the company

If the company explicitly said “for X amount of dollars we will carve a body and neck to your specifications and use quality hardware and electrics Not necessarily made by us but expected for an instrument in this price range or better and we will relic the body and not the neck” or if they say there is no relic job done at all (bear in mind the name of the company!) and then they sent you either of the bases (sorry I couldn’t resist that!) In your photos then you certainly have cause for complaint and to get your money back and to warn the online community of an affair is practices

However if they’ve said something along the lines of “not everyone has time to put together Frankenstein bases! despite how fun it sounds, getting the parts is only half the battle you’ve still got to put it all together and set it up too! And if you want a specific paint job and/or a relic job then you have to work out how much your time is worth…
    This is where we coming!

Yes We charge a lot of money for our services but at the end of the day you will get your FrankenBass AND a lot sooner and less messier too” then I’m afraid you’re in a bit of trouble

May I respectfully ask are you willing to divulge how much you paid exactly for this bass and also whether you were expected to pay shipping and insurance for returning it there and back to be “repaired“?

18. merseymale

merseymale

Oct 28, 2018

Okay I’ve just seen this

My take on it or is similar to my original conclusion F W I W except that it seems he is agreeing that it IS the same body but not the same neck( or at least fingerboard) but it would be nice to see clearer pictures of the ‘new’ bass because (and I’m really really really going out on a limb here!) He could conceivably reuse the original fret markers and also put them in the same upright position(?!) but although the woodgrain is not as good as the fret markers in your photographs I do still feel it’s good enough that it’s the same piece of wood

It seems you’re in a different part of the world from this guy and so maybe things are more expensive or cheaper where you are?

I’m based in the UK and I believe that more than the equivalent of $300-$350 would be getting too much, over here, for these if they are not a ‘Known Brand’

19. merseymale

merseymale

Oct 28, 2018

I read the text exchange and it seems to me that he is in agreement with the OP!

20. merseymale

merseymale

Oct 28, 2018

When you say “Dead Spot” do you Mean that in the traditional way, i.e. one that doesn’t sound as loud/full/rich as it’s neighbors; One that sounds a bit dull or strangled/muted? Or do you mean that it’s actually “frets out“ i.e. it sounds no different from the note higher up?

If it’s the former then there are some
    on basses, especially as you venture towards the middle of the neck and beyond (but again I’d have to know how much you paid to say whether that’s an unreasonable expectation or not) but if it’s the latter then on anything more than a $300 bass it should’ve been sorted before it came to you IMHO

Last edited: Apr 17, 2019 at 7:00 PM