My jazz bass is buzzing funny

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Velkov, Apr 3, 2001.

1. Velkov

Jan 17, 2001
    Lansdowne, Ontario
    I had my bass set up a month ago. I've been playing it every day and it's been fine. I plugged it in yesterday and I was disappointed to hear a funny buzzing sound on my open G string.

This buzz is different from normal buzz. Normally, a buzz comes from the nut or one of the springs on the bridge rattling around, or the tuning keys. And usually I can hear the buzz when my bass is unplugged.

But this time, I only hear it when I'm plugged in. So, I thought the problem is not mechanical. It's the electronics. But why does it only happen when I play the open G string? And it sounds more like a buzz then a distortion.

2. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Since you said it only happens on open G, the nut slot still sounds suspicious in spite of the fact you have mentioned it.

But, ONCE, I had this sort of thing occur for another reason, too. Do you have a spare G to replace it? Once I had something go wrong with the inner wrapping on a string, a G also, no less. It was one of the best brands you could buy and replacing it took care of the problem.

BTW, I e-mailed the maufacturer about the problem, just to let them know, because I really like their strings. Without any request from me, they sent me a whole new set at no charge.
  3. that's a pretty good bet. Maybe one of the windings was a bit meesed up. Also, check how unraveled your strings may be at the bridge (that could also lead to something goin on)
  4. Velkov

Jan 17, 2001
    Lansdowne, Ontario
    So far, I've been trying to ignore the buzz. But I'll go pick up a set of new strings first thing next week and we'll see how that goes.

Thanks guys.