Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My jazz bass mod- W/ videos!

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by anonymous278347457, Feb 15, 2006.

1. anonymous278347457

anonymous278347457 Guest

Feb 12, 2005
    I know there are HUGE amounts of threads about the series/parralel
    switching thing. But I couldent find any sound clips/videos. of the differance.

SO I recorded this. I did the mod today, burnt my left thumb and index finger slightly(always happens with soldering). I also managed to lose 2 pickguard screws (***???)

I had to replace the 250k tone with a 500k since the shop didnt have any 250s....which is kinda annoying because I have to keep my tone control in the middle.

Is this meant to make it sound like a 250k on full??????

Heres the video, its me playing various parts of breed, bombtrack and orion. while madly switching :D
    http://www.youtube.com/?v=Niw4dV9arwM

oh by the way you might need to turn it up a little bit, I recorded it late at night with my amp all the way across the room.

Tell me what you think guys.

As you can see I repeatly tried to resist slapping, I might get my moral horribly damaged if i start showing off my slap "skills" :D

EDIT:
    I figured out how to make it sound like a 250k.
    there is like a "sweet spot". for me is having the line point towards the input jack. also the graph on this page is quite useful

2. Really interesting mod! Definitely shows the difference far better than words could describe.

3. telekaster

telekaster

Feb 14, 2005
    San Diego
    I'm not sure about that. If the pot is a linear taper, than I suppose 1/2 way would be in the ballpark of 250k. Maybe you could measure the resistance across the pot and mark where it reads 250k. It may not be right in the middle. ...just a suggestion.

4. anonymous278347457

anonymous278347457 Guest

Feb 12, 2005

oh.....thats not good. since its a log pot. Il just keep changing it until I find that sound I had before