Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My Jazz bass+MP3, and a question...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by CkB_Cowboy, Jan 3, 2004.

1. CkB_Cowboy

CkB_Cowboy

Nov 30, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I have a fantastic American Std Fender Jazz bass, I bought it a few years ago.. and I *love* the sound (see the attached .mp3 for a brief sample)

What I'm wondering.. Are there any high-end basses out there with this sound?

I totally dig the sound of my bass, I've never played a bass that I liked better, sound-wise. BUT, the action on my bass isn't as low as I'd like it. There is a little too much buzzing on the frets. It's not always consistent, feel-wise.

Sure, I'd love something with 24 frets too, but really what I'm after is something that at least feels totally consistent, which is a quality I've noticed more often in the high-end handmade basses.

The thing is, I don't really like the "modern" sound. Although I think the active preamps are cool, and I dig their sound.. It's not a sound I like to hear coming out of *my* bass. I want that 70's Fender Jazz sound.

So, what basses out there sound like my bass, but feel more high-quality?

Ideas?

- Cowboy

2. frederic b. hodshon

frederic b. hodshon Supporting Member

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    None.
    first, your playing probably makes more of a diff than anything.

nice stuff!

i think you'd like an F Bass, Fodera, Sadowsky or maybe a Zon Sonus.

all can sound classic, but can dial in some modern sounding snap.

all have ULTRAHIGH quality.

there are tonz of other choices. many a small builder hangin' around these parts.

i'm partial to composite necks and i think Zon has the formula DOWN!

i was surprized at the ungodly quality of the 2 Sadowskys i own. Roger S's preamp is tiiiiiiiiiiiight! my fave at the moment.

what's your price range?

f

3. CkB_Cowboy

CkB_Cowboy

Nov 30, 2003
    Boston, MA
    fhodshon, if I found a bass that was "the bomb" I'd find a way to set aside the money for it.. but realistically, $3000 would be a good limit.

I actually had a fretted Zon Sonus, but got rid of it (for this Jazz) because I found the Zon's sound rather weak. I still have my Zon Sonus Special fretless though, it's a great bass.. but I don't play too much fretless these days.

Either way, I don't really like the "graphite neck" sound for fretted, it sounds a little too crisp.

Fodera basses look amazing, but the sound I have heard from them sounded a little too "modern" for my tastes.

I have considered checking out Sadowsky, but I don't know anybody who has one that I could check out easily. They look nice though!

- Cowboy

4. frederic b. hodshon

frederic b. hodshon Supporting Member

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    None.
    hmm, i don't think that at all. the 2 zons i own are very warm sounding.

i'd suggest trying Joe's new 519 model with the 3 way mid select.

but, you seem to have your mind made up.

i think the Sadowsky would be a good one to hunt down.

it has the fender vibe KINDA. it has that "hair" that makes it mix friendly.

f

5. Great sounded Bass top top..:)...

Get a GB IV or Rumour... Bernie has hands down the best electronics in any bass IMHO...but..because he builds them he can talour your sound into the design of them.....

www.gbguitars.co.uk

Give him a Call....Its the British Sadowsky.. with a KICK...

Also dont just take my word for it.. Talk to Berklee as well...he's just got one.. and he loves it...

Everything from Mark King to Marcus to doulbe bass sound can be dialed in...for me they jsut have the Edge of Sadowsky's on tone and equal on build quality..but u dont seen GB's anywhere very often.. if at all..:rolleyes: