Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My Jazz Deluxe wants a graphite neck!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by RealBK, Nov 3, 2002.

1. RealBK

RealBK

Feb 8, 2002
    I have a U.S. Fender Jazz Deluxe 4 string bass and i'm wondering if it's possible to fit a Graphite neck to it? (Status or mosses) but i ain't sure if it's possible, as the joint may be a bit narrow (not sure of the correct mesurements) has any one tried to do this on a Jazz Deluxe bass before? did it work?

Many thanks

2. mosses i belive makes replacent necks for fender basses.u can get a p or jazz neck.both can be used on the same bass.

3. RealBK

RealBK

Feb 8, 2002
    Rember it's a Jazz Deluxe and i think the necks are thinner at the joint than on standard Jazz basses, so here in lies the problem.

4. the biggest difference between a US deluxe and US standard Jazz is the 22 fret neck- make sure any replacement caters for this.

5. RealBK

RealBK

Feb 8, 2002
    Hi, I'm looking at Status for my replacement neck and they do not do the 22 fret option (not a problem) but the question is does it need to have the 22 fret option? would a Standard jazz fret number work okay on this bass? or would it make the balace of the instrument werid?

Many thanks

6. 1964

Mar 26, 2002
    Too Close To Hell
    IIRC, these basses need an exact replacement.

7. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    RealBK may I ask what is the problem with the neck you have on the bass now.

8. RealBK

RealBK

Feb 8, 2002
    Just want the sound of a lovely graphite neck, simple as that. So i take it i would HAVE TO get a 22 fret graphite neck as nothing else would work? I just don't want to get a Status neck only to realize it don't fit! ahhh. Mosses seem to have more option's but they don't look as nice as the Status necks!

Many thanks

9. knight

knight

Nov 3, 2002
    Hi,

I'm getting a Moses fretless replacement for a USA Jazz plus from 1991 - they're making a special 22 fret with no cantilever extension for me. You can email Moses to check if this would work for a deluxe neck too.

10. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Is the 22nd fret at the edge of the neck, or is it on a fingerboard extension?

If its on a finger board extension, than a standard neck could work, I would still recommend checking with moses or status first.

Peace
    Nick

11. if you fitted a 20 fret neck (number of frets up to heel) you'd find the bridge saddles would have to be moved quite a bit towards the end of the bass for correct intonation (I'm not sure if you could intonate it properly at all).

also the pickups would now be reading different positions on the strings- the tone would change slightly.

therefore it's best to get a 22 fret replacement neck.

12. all Fender US Deluxe, US Plus/Plus deluxe (the old Jazz and precision plus from circa 92) Roscoe Beck basses and Mexican Precision Special are 22frets with no overhang.

I think the only Fender basses with an overhang are the Precision Lyte AKA. Zone basses.

13. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    With that info, Im gonna have to agree with your previous post.

The intonation would be really screwy with a neck that is in the wrong position and the sound would change quite a bit.

You could always just call them up and ask if they have one that would work. Make sure that they know what model bass you are using and if they still say it will work, try to get some kind of money back garuntee. If it doesnt, send it back for your money.

Peace
    Nick