Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My jazz is dying!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dr.Death, Apr 22, 2004.

1. Dr.Death

Dr.Death

Oct 25, 2002
    Birmingham, UK
    :help: So iv'e got a mex Jazz, and had it for a couple of months, after abouta month,the saddle peice of the bridge on the E-string started gradually slipping down the two screws :confused: , i just put it right and everything seemed ok until it came to this gig a fortnight later, by the end of the first verse (20 secondes) the saddle had slipped all the way down and was resting on the metal plate, this meant constant retuning and horrible fre-buzz :spit: . I play pretty wildly on stage and thought that this could be the reason it didn't happen in practise, but when i reset the bridge and played it absolutely flat out at home it was fine. I had no problem with it again for another three weeks until the next gig when it happened again - again in the first verse :meh: . I didn't have my backup bass (cardinal sin i know)- and the severity of the fret-buzz meant i had to play evrything an octave up. :crying:

I need to sort this problem out, but am reluctant to take it back to the shop due to its apalling customer service (3 months for a stupid scratch plate!!). Should i just order a new sadlle peice and screws for the bridge or what?

2. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    You can order another bridge, like a Badass. They are very easy to replace on this sort of bass.

3. Beefbass

Beefbass Guest

Feb 4, 2001
    This same thing happened on my MIM fretless bass. The dealer wouldn't do anything about it, which sucked because it was only 2 weeks old at the time.

Spent 23 dollars at Warmoth, and got a Gotoh 201C bridge. Problem solved-very happy now.

4. pistoleroace

pistoleroace

Sep 13, 2002
    WI
    Why don't you contact Fender, they do have a warrenty on their equipment.

5. Well, you are the Doctor of Death...

6. dmaki

dmaki

Apr 29, 2000
    Chattanooga
    That happened on my first bass and I brought it into a repair shop. I asked how much a new bridge was, they asked what the problem was, I told them and they said "no, no, you don't need a new bridge." Took the bass into the back, sprayed some stuff on the screw of the saddle and its worked perfectly since. See if your shop can't help you out... or, does anyone know what they may have used?

7. This is a common problem with MIM jazzes, they are nice basses but the hardware is less than steller. Just take a little clear nail polish and after adjusting the bridge to your liking apply it to the screw, it should hold just fine now and is easily readjusted.

8. goran

goran

Dec 17, 2002
    Croatia
    Endorsing Artist: Bartolini
    Yes, that will solve it. Or you can put red, green, yellow or whatever colour nail polish and make it funky! ;)

I have had the same problem with my bass so I applied some super glue to screws. It did the job very well.

9. i had that same problem on the G string of my MIM jazz.

i bought a Gotoh 201C and not only do i not have that problem anymore but my bass SOUNDS better and it took no time at all to swap out!

10. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    The cheapest solution is in a hardware store. It's called lock-tite. Use the low strength type only! The high strength only comes loose with the application of heat. Silicone should also work.

11. DaveDeVille

DaveDeVille ... you talkin' to me ?? Supporting Member

LOL ... very quick Kaz ...

on a more serious note , i've had a Badass bridge on my '73 Precision for about twenty years , never had any kind of problems ,
    especially not the kind you mentioned , Dr. Death ... you might want
    to consider a new bridge instead of a quick fix using any type of glue .

just my .02 :cool:

12. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    Quick! Call Kenston Bursalis. He saved jazz the last time.

13. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    Oh snap! Good one.