1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

My jazz pickups 'pick up' my playing

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by wtf_is_a_bass, Mar 17, 2009.

1. wtf_is_a_bass

wtf_is_a_bass Guest

Aug 11, 2005
    Sydney, Australia
    Endorsing Artist: PiGLET picks
    On my older MIM jazz, when i play with the pickup as a thumb rest, ocassionaly my playing fingers will hit the pickup as they pluck the string. However the pickups really 'pickup' this hit and i get a pop sound whenever it happens. This doesnt happen on my MM or my PJ :confused:

Is there a way of fixing this without getting new pickups? Why are these pickups doing it?

2. mjolnir

mjolnir Thor's Hammer 2.1.3beta

Jun 15, 2006
    Houston, TX
    Couple things: if you're hitting the string to the poles that popping is totally normal, get covers with no exposed pole pieces or just stop doing it. :D

If you're not, it could be a grounding issue with your strings.

3. Craig_S

Craig_S Banned

Oct 15, 2008
    Metro Detroit
    It sounds like the pickup is microphonic. I don't know if that can be fixed, other than replacing the pickup.

4. Deacon_Blues

Deacon_Blues

Feb 11, 2007
    Finland
    I've heard that you could have the pickup re-waxed or something, if it starts to behave microphonically. Anyway, if it's a cheap pickup, I'd just replace it with something better rather than spending money and effort on having it rewaxed (unless you really like the sound of that particular pickup, of course).

5. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    Try lowering the pickup, and see what happens. The poles might be too close to the strings, which can cause weird noises.

6. Dont change anything, you could be the new fieldy:ninja:

7. wtf_is_a_bass

wtf_is_a_bass Guest

Aug 11, 2005
    Sydney, Australia
    Endorsing Artist: PiGLET picks
    Strings arent hitting the poles, im familiar with that sound. And the pickups are pretty low as it is. So its probably the microphonics or whatever.

Hopefully replacing the pickups fixes it!