1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

My John Clayton Experience

Discussion in 'Bassists [DB]' started by Farin, Apr 9, 2006.

1. Farin

Farin

Oct 19, 2004
    Akron, Ohio
    Hey,
    I just wanted to share my experience that I had this weekend. John Clayton came to Youngstown State University in Youngstown Ohio, for the Toni Leonardi Bass Association's Double Bass Symposium.
    I was lucky enough to get to play for (and with) Mr. Clayton, and it was just a blast! He's such a great guy, and really gave me a lot to think about. He's also very deep, and I'm still trying to sort out some of the advice he gave me.
    At the end of the night, he played a concert with the YSU Jazz Band, and he played a little peice about his double bass, it was great! Maybe I'll post a recording of it later.
    Here's a picture of John and I with our basses:
    [​IMG]

2. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    That's awesome, man -- I love Clayton's playing.

Also, is it just me, or is his bass huge? I mean, he's a pretty big guy (how many inches over 6'?) but that bass looks gigantic. The endpin doesn't look like it's out far at all!

PS; Is he using Obligatos?

3. I met John Clayton while I was in high school jazz band. Unfortunately, I play electric bass only, but he was pretty awesome. He is very kind and easily the best player I have ever seen/heard in person (maybe at all).

4. Farin

Farin

Oct 19, 2004
    Akron, Ohio
    The Bass is a 7/8 I believe. It was pretty big but I've seen bigger. I'm 5'11, so he must but about 6 foot something. And He uses a laborie endpin, so it was a bit of an optical illusion there. His endpin was actually pretty long. A good 9 or 10 inches. And Yes, he is Indorsed and always uses Obligatos. His pizz sound is a little old school for me, but his arco sound is just amazing. If I played Arco a little more I might think about switching, but for now, I like my Thomastik Weichs.

5. I saw Clayton a couple weeks ago...Amazing!

6. Great photo, John Clayton's the man.