1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

My joke is coming back to haunt me.

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by two fingers, Oct 21, 2013.

1. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    I once joked in a thread (one about you guys taking your gigs way too seriously) about missing a gig to go see the Red Sox if I had great tickets come out of nowhere.

Well...... It's happening. I think we are going to a World Series game and I may have to miss a gig to do it. The sub is lined up just in case (tickets are not confirmed yet). And guess what? Nobody is pissed! Imagine that!

I was booked as a sub. So what does that make MY sub? A sub-sub?

Turns out the world will not implode if a guy misses a gig...... even one that was ALREADY ON THE BOOKS (dare I say it)....... and little babies will not lay dead in the streets, and grandmas won't starve to death, and little birdies will continue to fly. I did consult a scientist buddy of mine, and according to him there is a slight risk of ripping a hole in the space time continuum. But I'm going to risk it anyway. :eek:

Here's the best part. The guy I booked the gig with actually said to me towards the end of our conversation "Hey so are you booked the Saturday after Thanksgiving?" WHAT????? He is actually going to offer me ANOTHER GIG after I CANCEL ON HIM????? He obviously doesn't read Band Management threads here at TB or he would know that's absurd. :cool:

Sure, this is only anecdotal evidence of cover band gigs just plain being not that big of a deal in the big picture, but I thought I would share anyway. Sure they're fun. And sure you want reliable people in your band. I get it.

But this is the SOX in the WORLD SERIES! The fine folks at the Sweet 'Tater Festival (or whatever festival this thing is) will somehow have to get along without me!

2. deathsdj

deathsdj

Sep 18, 2010
    Wichita, KS
    Your band is probably auditioning your replacement even as I type this...

J/K have a great time at the series!

Cheers!

MJW

3. Smallmouth_Bass

Smallmouth_Bass

Dec 29, 2005
    Canada
    World Series? Pffttt! Stanley Cup, that would be another thing...

4. http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-10-20/bushfires-state-of-emergency-declared-in-nsw/5034212

40,000 hectares (100,000 acres) of bush has burnt near Sydney, Australia since last week. When exactly did you pull-out of this gig?:oops:

5. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    sub-a-dub-dub. ;)

6. puddin tame

puddin tame

Aug 14, 2010
    If you can find a competent sub its no drama. Im dealing with a flaky keys player who is flaking out, often last minute, and then leaving us to find a fill in the day before. One time he missed our gig just to watch a different gig up the road... BUT the deal breaker is that you lined up the replacement in this case

7. Space Pickle

Space Pickle

Apr 15, 2013
    I really hate the Red Sox. :mad:

8. two fingers

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Now THAT is funny!

(And I was nowhere near there.......:ninja:)

And if it's all the same to you guys I am going to leave all my "pulling out" and "bush" jokes over there on that table so nobody gets in trouble. If you want to read the jokes, go over to that table waaaaaaay over there. There's a sign that says "I'm Not Getting In Trouble Table". K? :D

9. two fingers

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    The Cards are looking strong. You may get the opportunity to come back to this thread and rub my nose in it at some point.

10. Blake Bass

Blake Bass Supporting Member

Jan 10, 2006
    Montgomery, Texas
    I would totally get a sub and ditch a gig if the Ravens went to the Superbowl!!! (again)

11. sleeplessknight

sleeplessknight Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2002
    Seattle
    ftfy...

See, I'd play the Sweet Tater Festival over a silly ball game any day, but that's just me ;-)

12. two fingers

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    And coming from Boston no less. For shame!

Seriously, I dig it but I don't require others to. Somehow GO SOX is still cooler than GO TATERS! (sweet or otherwise) :D

13. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    the Cali Intergalctic Mind Space
    Song Surgeon slow downer software- full 4 hour demo
    sub and re-sub:confused:

14. So, blowing off your gig for a baseball game may not lose you your other band gigs. Well then, I guess you're certain that the large majority here who told you they thought you would be an ass to do such a thing will just change their minds and think you're a great guy.

Good luck with that.

Enjoy the game. Everyone here formed their opinions when you made your original statement. Whatever those opinions were, they are no different now that you are making good on your statement.

15. Shakin-Slim

Shakin-Slim

Jul 23, 2009
    Tokyo, Japan
    Really? Nobody in the band has an issue, the sub is surely up to par, or else he wouldn't have been picked. How can it have any repercussions except the money goes in a different bassists pockets? A gig isn't a wedding vow. Christ. Loosen up.

16. You already made your argument in your original thread. It carried little weight with most of the posters at that time, and their comments carried no weight with you.

You seem to have completely missed my point. Let me try to make it clearer: I don't believe anyone feels any differently now that you're doing it than they did when you said you would do it. Read that thread and all the comments will apply exactly the same as they did before. There's no need for this thread at all. All it says is: "I'm that guy I said I was."

I'm pretty sure we knew that.

17. Shakin-Slim

Shakin-Slim

Jul 23, 2009
    Tokyo, Japan
    Not the OP.

18. Joke? I don't get it - what joke and what's the punch line?

EDIT: This is "Band Management" NOT "Bass Humor & Gig Stories".

So just to be very clear - is this thread a joke, or are you actually trying to promote "don’t take business serious" as a recipe for successful band management?

19. Fat Steve

Fat Steve The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.

OP: Your actions do not conform to my values. You posting this is making me uncomfortable and bitter. There is nothing more important in the world than playing the tater festival (god bless the mighty spud), and you should feel bad for playing lawyer-ball with the rules and finding a way to skirt your responsibilities to the music world! I mean sports, really? Because of this most grievous indiscretion, you must sell all of your bass gear and swear to never sully the good name of a cover band bass player again. You've let the entire music industry down with your choice to enjoy yourself. You are a bad person. May the spud-god have mercy on your soul, because we never will.

Signed,
    Talkbass Band Management Forum Vice Squad

20. mikegug

mikegug

Oct 31, 2011
    +1