Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My Juzek reality--what is it worth?

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by Lindy, May 15, 2004.

1. Lindy

Lindy

May 15, 2004
    Kansas
    Hi! I'm new here. I've lurked here a few times before but this is my first post. :) I have a Juzek bass. It says Master Art on the label, made in 1962. It has the pointy violin style corners. It was used but nice when my dad bought it for me in 1992 whenI was in high school. I played it through high school and also in college orchestra. Everybody alwas said it was a real nice bass. It has nicks and scratches but no cracks or neck or scroll damage. I think the strings are called spiralcore. I've been trying on and of for the last couple of years to sell it because I really don't ever play it anymore. This is not like having an extra flute or fiddle laying around the house.I've advertised it around here (I'm in Emporia KS) and also Wichita and Omaha where my dad lives.A friend of my dad's is a violin dealer and says it should be worth about $5000. He would give me half of that minus the cost of setup work and new strings, or about $2000. That doesn't seem like very much. Is that a fair wholesale offer?
    I've had some players look at it and play it and everybody likes it and says its a good bass. But it seems like none of the players has any money. I had one guy offer me 5000 but it would take him a month to get the money and now I can't find him. People want me to take payments--which I won't do, or they hit on me because I'm a girl. I'm getting tired of trying to sell it on my own.
    I'm moving to Boston for graduate school at the end of July to a really small (and expensive!) apartment so I have to sell it. Should I take the $2000 offer? He's had his shop for a long time and says he will write me a check. Everybod else has just been a lot of talk, no money.
    Or should I take it with me and try to sell it in Boston?Could I get more money there?
    But then I have to figure out how to get it there!

Give me advice. What should I do?
    Lindy :bag:

2. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Just start playing again! You'll wish you hadn't sold it later down the road. I miss an old guitar amp of mine i sold, and can probably never get it back.

3. McBass

McBass

Mar 31, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY
    If you want more money and don't want to take the time to sell it yourself, you could always sell it on consignment at a bass shop or through a dealer. They would take a commission, but might get a high enough price that it would be worth it. On the other hand, chances are that it would go for a little more in a big city like boston or new york. Don't sell it for the 2000. If it really is a good sounding bass and it's a carved bass, it shouldn't sell for less than $4000 in my opinion. Juzeks usually go for more than that around here.

4. While I would never consider venturing an opinion on the value of a bass without actually seeing it and playing it, because of my location, I can comment on the midwestern bass market. While Emporia, Wichita, and Omaha are nice livable cities, they are all very small markets as far as doublebasses are concerned. The odds of getting $5,000 for a Juzek in this area is extemely small unless you just happen to be lucky enough to get hooked up with someone who was looking specifically for a bass like yours. A big shop in an large city might be able to sell it for that or more, but an individual would be lucky to get $3,500 and you might be holding on to the instrument for a long time. I don't think that the offer you received ($2,000) from the violin dealer is out of line for this area. As you are no doubt aware, dealers do not pay retail, they pay wholesale which is usually about half of what they expect to sell it for after they have set it up for sale. Some individuals might consider this unfair, but the fact is the dealer has to pay for his overhead by making profit on his sales - And... the dealer has to guarantee the instrument for a period of time After he sells it, which is something the individual doesn't have to worry about.

5. Louis90403

Louis90403

Jul 26, 2002
    Tokyo
    If you are still trying to sell your bass, pls contact me off list. I am looking for something in that price range. :)

Louis

6. Lindy

Lindy

May 15, 2004
    Kansas
    This might work for me. What percent do shops charge for consignments?:confused: Has anybody on the list actually sold a bass this way, and how long did it take?
    Lindy

7. $2,000 strikes me as a bad deal. If at all possible, I'd take it to Boston and sell it there.

8. azflyman

azflyman

Apr 24, 2004
    Astoria, OR
    I think if you are interested in selling this bass you should respond to you mail and PM's. ;) I think you have several interested buyers right here. You could also list the bass in the "For Sale" section of the Double Bass forum. eBay is also a good site to see what the market is on your bass, just set a reserve and off you go. eBay is a world market so if your geographic area is depressed as far as bass sales someone from another area (city, state, country) will snag it up. Either way you must take pictures so the buyer can see what they are getting/bidding on.

az

9. KSB - Ken Smith

KSB - Ken Smith Banned Commercial User

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Owner: Ken Smith Basses, Ltd.
    I agree with Bob partly on not valuating a Bass without seeing it but I happen to know a bit about those Basses.

In 1962 Wenzel Wilfer usually made the Master Art models for Juzek in Germany. DO NOT sell it for $2,000...... I will give you more if the condition is good.

Your Bass should be a Violin cornered model with highly flamed back and sides. No? The tuners are either individual of with nicely engraved plates if they are the originals.

On your way to Boston, you could pass by here if you are driving and show me the Bass. In the NE, Basses like that in good condition could bring alot more than $2,000.

Do you know if it is it a 3/4 or 7/8 size model?

Email me some pics if you can or post them here. The 'for sale' area is also a good choice or Ebay as well.

Good luck with your Bass.

10. Lindy

Lindy

May 15, 2004
    Kansas
    I am kinda surprised at the number of messages and direct emails that I got from my post, even one from Japan. I wasn't so much trying to sell my bass here as seeking information and advice. I want to sell the bass by the middle of July, I don't need to selll it this week. :rolleyes:
    Right now the bass is in Omaha and I'm in Emporia...guess I didn't make that clear in my original post...so I cant just run into the next room and take a bunch of digital pics. One of the things I liked about the guy that offerd me $2000 was that he wasn't pushy. He said that basses are slow to sell because bass players are "always lookin but seldom buyin" He told me to think about it and get back to him if I wanted to sell. If I decide to take it with me there must be at least a couple more reputable dealers or bass shops between Omaha and boston along I-80 and I-90, Chicago, Cleveland?, where I could show th bass and get a written appraisal. Several here have said that they can't guess a value without having the bass in hand. I guess that makes sense.
    I've been on other discussion forums that get real touchy about offering things for sale on the forum insted of the ads part, so I really was just asking for information. I'll use the classifieds section if I decide to try and sell it here. Sorry this is so rambling.
    Lindy :)

11. azflyman

azflyman

Apr 24, 2004
    Astoria, OR
    Appraisals are for insurance companies, they usually do not reflect market values. From what I have seen they are optimal pricing (high) for replacement values that are not realistic. Take the appraisal with a grain of salt and use it as a high ballpark figure. An appraisal in Omaha will not be the same as New York. This forum as well as eBay are world markets and will give you more bang for your buck. Normal shop consignment fees are 20%. Sell the bass yourself and get it all.

az

12. Your dealer is giving it to you straight. His market is in the midwest and not in PA or NY or the other areas where basses command high prices. If you can get it to the East coast, there is no doubt you can sell it for more money. Appraisals are nice to have, but be sure to get the appraisal from a reputable dealer in the area where you intend to sell it. Appraisals will vary greatly by geographic area. Because of various legal fears, many appraisors (myself included) now specifiy that the appraised value represents the appraiser's opinion of what it would cost to buy a replacement instrument of similar make, condition, etc in the geographic area where the appriasal is made. The fact of the matter is that the actual value of ANY bass is only what someone is willing to Actually pay (cash) for it. Like you have already experienced, there are lots of people who will talk big money until the time comes to give you the cash.

13. KSB - Ken Smith

KSB - Ken Smith Banned Commercial User

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Owner: Ken Smith Basses, Ltd.
    FWIW I owned a Juzek/W.Wilfer Master Art made in 1967. I bought it in 1972 'new' from the Juzek familie's shop, Metropolitan Music in NYC. It was my main Bass for a few Years before I got my Old Italian Bass and then sold the Wilfer shortly after.

I often thought about buying it back but it is the main Bass of a NY player and he needs it for his work.

Take your time selling it and you should be able to get a fair price for it.

Juzek 'imported' various qualities of Basses and the Master Art was the best. Many Basses have been offered for sale using the Master Art name that are just plain Gamba shaped Basses or Violin Models with little or no Flame. A true Master Art model was the best the Wilfer Family made for Juzek.

14. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    I sold my 30's Juzek last year for 30% more than I paid for it.