1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

My Karma must be REALLY bad.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by gonzorob, Sep 3, 2008.

1. I got home from work last night and was standing in the kitchen talking with my wife when my 6 year old daughter came in sobbing. She said that she was in the jam room and accidentally knocked over one of my guitars. I immediately knew it was bad because she was very upset.

So I kept my cool and went to check and I was crushed by what I found. My Micheal Kelly acoustic bass had fallen face first on the floor and the headstock was broken completely off. Just from looking I knew immediately that even if it could be repaired it wasn't going to be pretty. It would probably cost as much as the guitar itself.

I told my daughter not to worry, that it was only an accident and there was nothing to do about it now. She said that she was upset because she knew it was my favorite. Which is true, it was a Fathers Day present from both of them this year. But I assured her that life would go on. I couldn't help but be a little depressed. When I first got this bass I wasn't sure if I was going to dig playing an acoustic at all. But it slowly grew on me. I would pick it up and play on it just about every day.

My wife is insisting on replacing it, but to be honest we don't really have the money and I already have more gear than I need. The acoustic isn't even something I use in my band so I can't justify it that way. I thought of it as a tool that would help me play more while I was sitting around at home. And it had sentimental value that won't be able to be replaced. I just feel like buying another one is a waste of money, but I am still going to miss it.

Anyway, enough of my whining. Life will go on, I just needed a place to vent.

thanks!

EDIT: Pictures of the break added on page 2.

2. MrSexy

MrSexy

Jul 10, 2007
    Brooklyn, NY
    Way to handle it with your daughter, not losing your cool was the perfect thing to do.

3. drpocket

drpocket Guest

Wow!! What a good father! Your daughter is worth more than a million bass guitars. Like you said " life goes on". Hang on to the pieces of the bass and in time the $$ will show up to have it fixed or replaced. What goes around comes around.

4. DougD

DougD Bassman7654

Sep 19, 2002
    North Las Vegas NV
    Keep your chin up, stuff happens. There are several good observations to make. Your kid didn't lie to you or try to blame it on something else and your wife wants to replace it for you and your family loves you very much :) So... It aint so bad after all :) Could have turned out very differently.

5. I would have beat that brat into submission and reminded her just how important instruments are because they produce the music that brings harmony, joy and peacefull-ness to the world.
    And she better not forget that either!!!!!

j/k!!;)

My daughter (about 4 at the time) wanted a some peanut butter on a piece of bread (great kid snack- love watching them contourt their mouths with the peanut butter!).
    anyway, phone rings, I leave the room for a few seconds.
    Daughter walks in without peanut butter bread.
    I ask where did she put it.
    Shes like 4, gives the "I dunno" look/shoulder shrug.
    I hang up the phone.
    Walk into other room, find half eaten peanut butter bread stuck to the neck/body of my Sadowsky!!!! (peanut butter side on the bass naturally!).
    I had to contourt my mouth pretty good as a result.
    Then all I could do was laugh!!!

6. jibreel

jibreel

Apr 12, 2005
    Seattle
    I had that happen to TWO of my Tacoma Thunderchiefs. They were both able to be repaired. It was not that expensive. Good luck !!

7. stewart8980

stewart8980

Apr 11, 2008
    Rhode Island
    my dad woulda ripped me a new one (bless his heart)

8. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Lesson to learn: keep your basses in their cases! Padded gigbags work well too!:)

9. Buskman

Buskman

Apr 13, 2007
    Jersey Shore, USA
    +1 on what everyone has said thus far.

And I think you have some GOOD karma, because it's obvious that you are a good husband & father based on the actions of your wife & daughter.

Sorry about the bass, but hey - basses come & go... family is what really counts & it sounds like you've got a great one there! :cool:

10. Your kharma is decidedly intact. You know, it's HOW we react to these things that is key.

YOU DA MAN!

( I;m not sure I could have been as much of a man about as you were - thanks for showing us the way! )

11. bkbirge

bkbirge

Jun 25, 2000
    Houston, TX
    Endorsing Artist: Steak n Shake
    +1, you have your priorities straight IMO. My suggestion: if you have too much gear, buy a cheap short scale bass, acoustic if you like, and teach your daughter a little every day. That will quickly become your favorite bass.

12. Jeff K

Jeff K Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2005
    Memphis, TN
    Yeah, not to beat the dead horse, but you are to be commended for the way you handled it. That little girl was devastated, but you showed her what is truly important. Way to go.

As for replacing it, I'd just hold off. Like you said, you don't really need it at this point. Put a little money aside until a point comes when you feel excited about getting another one. That way, you get the added benefit of watching for a really good sale price.

13. This is exactly the reason I don't leave my gear out! It's bad enough watching and hearing my 21 month old daughter beat the crap out of my computer keyboard!

14. buzzbass

buzzbass Shoo Shoo Retarded Flu !

Apr 23, 2003
    NJ
    you're a good daddy, props to you.

15. fcoda

fcoda

Jan 23, 2002
    Nanuet,NY
    Repairs my not be as much as you think

16. danomite64

danomite64

Nov 16, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
    tommy04a-1.

I took this pic of my now 15 year old son, thinking to myself "How cute; he's trying to play it!". I turned around to put the camera away, when I hear a sickening thud from behind me.....neither Tommy or the bass were hurt, thankfully.

17. Thanks to everyone for the kind words. I just knew that if I didn't handle the situation right, she would always feel ashamed about it and I don't want that. The jam room is normally off limits, but we play this game where she hides from me when I get home from work and I have to find her. So she went in there to look for a spot and knocked the stand over.

Still not sure what I am gonna do. The headstock broke right at the E string tuning peg. I really don't see how a repair is possible, but it might be. It also took a quarter sized chunk out of the finish on the headstock when it broke. Whats almost funny is that this is the only bass that I normally leave out on a stand because I thought it would be the least likely to break if it fell over on a carpeted floor.

Buying a short scale just to tool around the house with is an intriguing idea. But I had my "gear priority" list just where I wanted it when this happened so I guess its back to the drawing board.

18. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    I'll trade you my 4-year-old daughter for your broken bass. I'll pay shipping on both. ;) (Kidding!)

Sorry to hear about your loss, but nice job keeping your cool and your perspective on what's important.

19. Lazylion

Lazylion Goin ahead on wit my bad self!

Jan 25, 2006
    Frederick MD USA
    Ha ha. A kid will circumvent your best efforts at safety without even trying. Good thing they're so cute! :p

20. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    Sounds like you're a great father and have a wonderful family. :)