Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My karma with cars sucks now

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by canopener, Jul 20, 2004.

1. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    The title pretty much explains it...I've got three vehicles to my name, but I can't drive any of them now.

We'll start with last week. I was driving my gf's '96 Sunfire, and I slightly 'gunned' the 135k old 4 banger for a few hundred yards, which subsequently blows the engine. Until she decides what to do, she's driving my '93 Taurus.
    Flash forward to today: I'm driving home from class in my '69 Mustang when some guy a few car lengths ahead of me slams on his brakes, causing me to hit mine pretty hard (and then lock up). After my brakes locked, I veered into the right lane, where, you guessed, a full size van slams into my right front fender. The damage isn't that bad, but I don't have the time to repair it, nor do I have the money to take it to a body place. Luckily there wasn't much damage to the van (nothing a little rubbing compound wouldn't take care of), and it is a work van, so they're likely not to worry about it.

Anyway, that leaves me with my '88 Ranger which is due for inspection at the end of the month, and it's sitting at home waiting to be 'tweaked' so that it may pass inspection...

I dunno, I'm a pretty responsible driver, but I can't help but think that none of this would've happened if I decided not to have a little bit of fun in my gf's car. This sucks. I hate being without my own transportation. Oh well. At least I don't have to pay these high gas prices for a little while.

2. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Machines and I have come to an understanding: they work for me, I don't beat them with a wrench. We used to not have this agreement, but it was ironed out after a few incidents.

3. My Karma…

…ran over My Dogma

:meh:

- Wil

4. If theres such a thing as Car-Karma, I would have a big dent in my back by now.

damn tennis balls...

5. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    I think your problems really started when you gf bought a sunfire. ;) Good luck with the Mustang!

6. Stu L.

Stu L. Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    Anyone else find humor that a guy named Canopener was in a (minor) wreck? :smug:

7. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    Kama-Kama-Kama-Kama-Kama-Kama-Chameleon

8. Sonorous

Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
    You beat me to it. Except I was going to say, "Three vehicles to your name? You mean canopener? :smug: "

9. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    For what it's worth, I wrote off my Car and motorbike 2 weeks apart. At the moment when people ask "How are you?", I answer "Great, I haven't had a crash in days!".

There's a thread about it in OT somewhere.

10. Don't_Fret

Don't_Fret Justin Schornstein

Dec 10, 2003
    East Coast, US
    Mine's more like: I don't bother them, they don't kill me in the future when they take over.

11. bassturtle

bassturtle

Apr 9, 2004
    ROFL

12. Frijoles Negros

Frijoles Negros

Mar 21, 2004
    I hate hearing about damage to a classic.

Im a GM fan, but good lord, 135k and it blew? Thats just screwy. Engineering like that reminds me of hearing about the early 80's mustangs. Ford and GM sure did make some garbage along the way.

Give me the chevy smallblock any day.

13. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    :smug:

Yeah, I was kind of surprised, the car was generally well-taken care of.

But the damage to my Mustang isn't as bad as I thought. I've got one busted up fender and ball joint (which isn't too bad of a job to do on this car). All said, I suppose I'm pretty lucky.