1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

My Keeley Bassist a tone sucking machine sterile as hell.

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by gary mitchell, Jul 17, 2017.

1. I have used this this compressor maybe 3 or 4 months now, and its just not doing it for me. I gave used my 5 string Yamaha on it, my Fender Jazz and now my new 3TBS Hollow body Lakland Skyline with it, I have used it with my MarkBass Jeff Berlin 151p combo, and the SWR 350 head and SWR 410. I have tried to love it set it every way I can, and my personal belief it just and expensive tone sucking , it takes all the girth and growl from my bass. It makes it sterile as hell. As for me and my bass, I am going back to bass and amp. I know a lot of you are going to think me crazy, and think I am stupid as a fence post. I guess what I am saying I tried I worked on it and I am just not a compressor fan, don't even like them compressor's on guitar. images. 19143692_10158912153180341_8391976228251646351_o.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2017
  2. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    It's up to you on whether you like it or not.
    It's a very transparent comp though, definitely not a tone sucker.

gregmon79, SunnBass, TheBear and 2 others like this.
  3. jbybj

jbybj Supporting Member

Jun 11, 2008
    Los Angeles
    My advice to you is to stop using this device.

4. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Yeah I have never liked an "always compressing" compressor. If you dial it in to clip the spikes only when you dig in hard it can be useful.

Where compressors shine is in a mix. It's kind of like a P bass with flats. By itself, the tone is kind of uninspiring. But once you put that sucker in a mix, that's when the magic happens.

Also, once you add ANYTHING to your signal chain, throw your old settings out the window. You ca't assume that you will be able to leave everything else dialed in exactly where it was and the new pedal simply "plugs right in" to "your sound". For instance, you may have to EQ in more highs and mids when adding a compressor. That doesn't mean there's something "wrong" with the compressor. That simply means it's doing something in your signal chain and to use it effectively you may have to dial around some aspects of the differences while accepting what it does to the rest.

All of that being said, there's no rule that says you have to like anything. If you don't dig it, I'm sure there is a line of enthusiasts waiting over in the classifieds to rid you of it. :D

5. SV777

SV777 Supporting Member

Jun 29, 2014
    New York
    I fight compressors too and swore off them after trying a few.

Picked up s Bassist recently (because I'm crazy) and I really like it.

I set it to limit when i dig in hard with a 4:1. Threshold much easier to set to trigger when I want. Tone is pretty darn near uneffected signal.(higher ratio can squash a bit of highs as with most pedal compressors )Perfect set / forget type pedal.

Now when I play live I can dig in hard and not clip my amp as readily.

Thats how life is. One man's garbage is anothers treasure. Just look at the classifieds Ha !

6. OhulahanBass

OhulahanBass Supporting Member

Nov 6, 2008
    Boulder CO
    Strange, I have the GC-2, I think it is perhaps the most transparent comp I have ever used. I got it for peak limiting but I really dig a moderate slop with a high threshold best for light thickening. I have never used the Bassist but thought they would be similar. I went with GC-2 mostly on Bongo's advice from his site.

Is it clamping too hard on the bass freqs? Maybe raise the threshold (middle knob) a bit.

Thanks Bongo!

7. OhulahanBass

OhulahanBass Supporting Member

Nov 6, 2008
    Boulder CO
    Ha, that's how I set mine, didn't think low ratio limiting would sound so good to my ears.

8. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    At least you tried it, before sticking the last nail in the coffin...

9. Given your recent threads, I'm not surprised by the outcome. Pedals aren't for everyone.

foolforthecity likes this.
  10. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    Is it still under warranty?

11. petrus61

petrus61 Supporting Member

Actually, the MXR Bass comp is a tone sucking box from hell. The Keeley is good. I don't like super transparent comps, but the Keeley is still my second or third favorite choice after my FEA.

onda'bass likes this.
  12. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

They're not for everybody. I use a compressor when and where it's needed and leave it off the rest of the time. So while I appreciate what they bring to the party (and think every bassist should know how to use one effectively) I don't consider myself an evangelist for them.

I'm not sure what you mean by tone sucking either. I've got a Keeley Bassist (and two other compressors) and I think the Bassist is one of the easiest to use and transparent of any of the limiting-type compressors out there. The thing I like best about mine is that it has zero effect on the tone of whatever I'm plugging onto it.

I'm wondering if you've got a defective unit...

I'd give Keeley support a call and discuss your concerns. What you're experiencing doesn't sound right. So it's got to be the unit you're using.

Luck! :thumbsup:

13. There's absolutely nothing wrong with not using a compressor. :)

14. I 've always found that live, compressors also seem to suck the dynamics out of a performance

jbybj likes this.
  15. I 've always found that live, compressors also seem to suck the dynamics out of a performance

16. superheavyfunk

superheavyfunk Supporting Member

Mar 11, 2013
    Toronto
    I like my compressor to not be noticeable at all. I've never really gone for the syrupy thing, except for a specific purpose in a recording. My comp is set to just even out the string response in the least intrusive way possible... I don't think anybody but me has ever even noticed that I have a compressor on my board. lol.

But hey, maybe your tone is exactly where it should be. Your right hand technique is quite probably amazing, and you definitely have some nice gear there... Who says you need a compressor, anyway?

triode6L6a likes this.
  17. SV777

SV777 Supporting Member

Jun 29, 2014
    New York
    So did I until I tried the Bassist

Spidey2112 and Bassmike62 like this.
  18. Maiden Bass

Maiden Bass Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2007
    Reno / Sparks, NV

Beautiful compression with zero tone suck!
    :thumbsup:

Spidey2112 likes this.
  19. Maiden Bass

Maiden Bass Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2007
    Reno / Sparks, NV
    And some samples too!

Mechayoshi likes this.
  20. TrevorOfDoom

TrevorOfDoom Supporting Member

Jun 17, 2007
    Austin, TX
    1. Compressors are for everybody, but not everybody needs to use one.
    2. The Keeley Bassist is IMO super transparent, so you've either got a defective pedal, or different expectations from a compressor.

I hate to ask, but did you read the manual?

gregmon79, SunnBass and TheBear like this.