1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

My kids wanna start a car wash biz

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by bassteban, Jul 11, 2012.

1. -and it's about 1000 degrees out there. 13yr old son, daughters 10 & 7... they wanna go door-to-door in the immediate neighborhood. Call me a big old wuss but do they HAVE to do this right flaming now? Ima drag them off to Target w/an offer of new sponges & stuff- the old crap is falling apart, plus I need to get a coupla other items.

2. Give them plenty of sunscreen, a hat, and water. I think after that first car they'll call it a day.

Yep, it's 100 degrees right now....:rollno:

3. fraublugher

fraublugher

Nov 19, 2004
    ottawa, ontario, canada
    music school retailer
    That's really cute , don't forget the lemonade stand while you wait side business.

4. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    Suggest they get a 10 or 20 gallon water jug, set it in a wagon and sell lemonade at the same time!
    I see kids everywhere makin bank with their lemond stands. This'll reduce the cost of constructing a stand; plus, what kids are selling lemonade door to door? Yours are!

edit: see, double up on the lemonade!

5. Unprofessional

Unprofessional

Mar 5, 2012
    I agree. After the kids figure out how much work is involved, the whole thing will be short-lived.

6. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    Song Surgeon slow downer. https://tinyurl.com/y5dcuqjg
    Unless the car to be washed is cool and in a shaded area, damage can be done to paint/trim/etc. if non-soft water/soap is allowed to dry quickly on the car creating water spots that can be very difficult/impossible to remove.

In addition, if the car is pretty dirty, unless done right, the dirt will be rubbed into the finish creating paint swirls. You can't just start wiping away on a dirty car.

Another question: how will they get the top of the car clean? Using something to stand on creates another opportunity for damage should it fall/lean against the car. I've been taking care of my own cars for decades and have seen/done it all.

Another question: how will they get the windows clean? Any spray that's used will dry quickly in the shade or out. How will they get the entire windshield clean?

Unless they're real tall kids and very strong, may I suggest a business with less potential liability.

We had a passion fruit ice tea stand last summer and sold lots of it during a hot spell. The kids made signs and stood by the street waving them. They used the big red plastic cups so the customers got a good deal. Fun was had by all.

Good luck to your kids. :hyper:

7. I'm impressed that you have three kids under 14 who understand the concept of working to earn money.

Parenting win.

8. TNCreature

TNCreature Jinkies! Supporting Member

Jan 25, 2010
    Philadelphia Burbs
    They might not ever get rich,
    let me tell ya it's better than diggin a ditch...

9. Eublet

Eublet

Jul 28, 2006
    I helped my kids with a lemonade stand last weekend. We setup for one hour on a busy neighborhood street before we ran out of lemonade. My 9 year old made 30 bucks in that hour. The work and heat didn't deter him at all. He's begging to do it again. Kids don't feel heat the way adults do. It is miserably hot outside, but I personally would encourage you to push through that for the sake of your kids. This is a good and valuable lesson for them regarding work and appreciation of money. Lemonade stands, at least to me, don't necessarily teach this because a lot of folks will stop and buy lemonade just to appease the kids, and some of them will give extra money just to help them out. Washing cars however is actually work, and I think that's important. When I was 13 years old, I had a push mower that I pushed around the neighborhood, cutting grass for extra money. That was common back then with kids, and I'm only 40 years old now. I NEVER see kids cutting grass for money in my neighborhood, which consists of around 3500 homes in my subdivision alone. All I see are grass-cutting services where grown men (often illegals it seems) are doing all the work. I think this is a travesty for our children who aren't learning the value of hard, honest work at a young age.

A little heat isn't gonna kill you, unless you are way out of shape. In that case, it won't be the heat that kills you. :D

10. I might be a young grumpy old man, but there is no way i would let a bunch of kids so young close to my car with sponges!

You can really ruin a paint job if you do not use enough water, or if the car is in the sun while being washed.
    Washing a car is not just about rubbing itwith soap and rinsing it, there is a right and a wrong way to do it, and (no disrespect intended) i do not think that kids so young can do it right. (unless you have trained them like my dad did when i used to wash his car as a kid, his way or no way...)

11. My friend's made like $20 a day last summer for their lemonade stand..and we're 15/16.

12. hover

hover

Oct 4, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Gotta encourage that stuff regardless of your reservations, they're showing initiative, and that is awesome.

Best of luck however this unfolds.

13. Lots of very useful info here, thanks. I will try to explain the potential for damage re: washing in the sun. I doubt anyone will allow these guys to wash any Mercedes or RR's, but again, food for though. I do intend to encourage them as far as doing something to make money- as far as me going out and cooking in the heat.. well, I'm in decent shape but more sensitive to the heat than I used to be. The youngest(Sophia, 7)doesn't hang w/brutal sun like the other two. We'll see...

14. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    Song Surgeon slow downer. https://tinyurl.com/y5dcuqjg
    Don't forget gobs of (SP30+, UVA/B protection) sunscreen reapplied (Don't forget ears, back of neck,etc.) every two hours. Water resistance (like Banana Boat SS) is very helpful.

Sunglasses/hat for all protect scalp/eyes from long term damage.

http://www.doctoroz.com/videos/smart-guide-protection

15. Jools4001

Jools4001 Supporting Member

Reading about all of you guys sweltering in 1000 degrees of heat makes me really glad (sincerely) that I live in the UK.

You know where you are with drizzle!

16. Well, they've really slacked off on this, & I am letting them(laziness/resting a jacked-up foot on my part). I did get a good half a day of housecleaning out of them this morning, no cost to me. I'm not above bribery, mind you. :)

17. Make them pay off the supplies you buy at a interest rate that way they have to keep washing cars, welcome to real life :)

18. BullHorn

BullHorn

Nov 23, 2006
    Israel
    A car wash business is only profitable if you use it to launder money you make from cooking methamphetamine. 8)