Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

my killer rig for $1K

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Eric Cioe, Jun 25, 2002.

1. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    this is about the best rig ive ever heard for under a grand...

Gallien-Krueger 400RB-III Head - - - - - - $400
    Avatar B2x10 - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - $200
    SWR Workingman's 1x15 - - - - - - - - - - $350
    good cables - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -$50

i will replace the SWR with a yamaha SW1x18 pa sub soon... to kick the low end even harder... with a power amp :D

im not saying the SWR is a bad cab... just that i want a sub now

2. Your rig is so very close to my configuration. I love the transparency, the smoothness, and the punch. The whole rig just sounds effortless. No straining, no struggling. The EQ frequencies just seem to be in the right places. I can dial my sound in quickly in just about any room.

Good luck, and good gigging!

Ronzo

3. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    I absolutely love it. i do need a bit more low end though... i play 7 string. this rig has a great sound down to about C... C and B arent bad but not up to par with the rest of it IMO

4. 18" speakers are only of use at BIG gigs. the sound doesn't fully develop unless you're 6 meters ( 20 feet ? ) away from them. the further away you stand from them the better they sound.

a 15" speaker goes at 3 meters, and a 4x10" sounds good no matter where you stand...

why not go for a 2x12" as sub ? that way you have
    1) more speaker surface
    2) more lower mids
    3) no " woofing "

5. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    I think people are obsessed with fundamentals. Most of the time, they just mud things up in a band setting, no matter how powerful they make you feel. Bass players and techno fans might be the only one who truly appreciate that kind of thing. And unless your bass is a solidly constructed neck-through, they probably aren't there in the first place anyway, at least not on the lowest notes...

Sounds like a nice setup - especially considering the cost!!