Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My Kind of Six String

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Petary791, Feb 26, 2005.

1. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    I was on my long time favorite online musical site, musiciansfriend, and I looked at the 6's. I saw this one Peavy Grind Bass 6 NTB 6-String Bass.

It's only $450 which is my kind of price. Is this a decent bass? I will go to Guitar Center and play it however. Does anyone have experience with this?

Thanks. :)

2. Dincrest

Dincrest

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    I'd go for the Peavey Fury 6 over the Grind. Grinds tend to have spotty build quality while the Fury line is more consistent. Grinds can be amazing, but the quality varies from bass to bass, so if you go for one, give it a thorough workout. Strap it on for a while too, since Grinds tend to be on the heavy side.

The Fury 6 is a terrific bass. It looks, plays, feels, and sounds like a bass many times the price with a thin fast neck, 3 band EQ active electronics...

http://www.peavey.com/products/brow...8/number/00452350/Fury+Quilt+Top+6-String.cfm

The neck is your standard 6-string neck (2.125" wide at the nut, 3.25" wide at the last fret.) I would've bought that bass at the music store if the skinnier neck of the Samick Fairlane hadn't fit so comfortably into my hands (2" wide at the nut, 3.1" wide at the last fret.)

Other 6-strings to consider in the 'affordable' price range (read: under $800):

-Ibanez Soundgear SR506. I had a chance to play one recently in a Guitar Center. Nice bass. Looked good, played well, and sounded nice. Very comfy neck, if a tad wide for my tastes (again 2.125" @ nut, 3.25" at last fret.)

-I believe Ibanez has a BTB 6-string available at an affordable price too. I prefer the Soundgear necks to the BTB necks, but many here prefer the BTB necks, which aren't as slim as Soundgear necks.

-ESP B206LTD. I was seriously considering this bass, but I never got to play one. ESP instruments are reputed to have great consistent build quality across the board and use good woods.

-Samick Fairlane 6. A very underrated bass. When people think Samick, they think cheapie stuff. This bass isn't expensive but it's great. The neck is the narrowest 6-string neck and string spacing I'm aware of in a 6-string and it has dual truss rods. It balances nicely too. The narrow neck and narrow string spacing aren't for everyone, but it fits my hands perfectly.

-Brice/SX- I've never played this brand, but most folks here say they're excellent for the price.

-If you can swing some extra dough, and/or save up, the Spector Legend 6 can be had. I like the feel and balance of Spectors. I've not played the Legend 6, but I have played some Spector 4-strings and liked them.

-there's always used too.

It's cool that affordable 6-strings aren't so difficult to find these days any more. Sweet. The biggest advantage I can see with the Grind is that it has passive electronics while all the other basses I mentioned have active electronics. Therefore with the Grind, you can just play and not have to worry about mussing and fussing with batteries.

3. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Yeah. But still not many lefties, and even less lefty 6ers... :(

4. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    Yay for Dincrest! The look of the Peavey Grind is my favorite, but i'll just have to play 'em (the ones I like.)

5. Nadav

Nadav

Nov 13, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    I can't tell you anything about the Peaveys, but I love my Ibanez BTB406.

6. LajoieT

LajoieT I won't let your shadow be my shade...

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    I've played several Grind NTB's and they always seemed like great basses for the $$$. Yea, they're made in Indonesia (or someplace, I forget) and they're passive (some people actually prefer that, me, I'm on the fence and to both sides). The woods used are rather basic, even if the names don't sound familiar, but it looks good, almost like walnut. I'm a big Peavy fan (and Cirrus player, thanks to the used market, couldn't afford it new which was why I was looking at the Grind NTBs).
    Never played a 6, which I understand are 35" scale vs. the 4 and 5's being 34", but that's another discussion I ride the fence on.

7. Dincrest

Dincrest

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    Not all 6's are 35" scale. The Grind and BTB are, but the Fury is 34" scale, as are the other basses I mentioned.

ASIDE: I honestly wish that there were more 6-strings, particularly affordable ones, with passive electronics rather than active. I prefer passive since I'm not fond of messing with batteries, especially when said battery is in the control cavity, making it a hassle to change. Although, ever since I had Giarmo install a Carvin flip-up battery compartment into my Fairlane allowing me to change batteries quickly and such, I'm sitting pretty. http://www.geocities.com/nealchandran/LinaRearView.jpg

I believe the Fury and Soundgear have separate battery compartments, but you still have to unscrew a 2-screw cover plate to get to the battery. So long as there are threaded brass inserts, you should be alright so the screw holes don't get all stripped out.

And Petary- I'm glad to help. I was hunting for affordable sixers a year back so I've been there.

8. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    So Lajoie, you dig the Grind basses?

EDIT: It's also hard finding a cool looking 6 string in my opinion. I like the dark wood colored; and most are painted which I don't really like. I'm not sure if I mentioned this already, but I was at Geetar Center yesterday and played a Curbow 6 (before Cort bought them out, it was used.) The neck didn't seem bad at all, but the tiny "hook" on the bottom of the bass would not sit on my knee for my life. It was also extremely ugly.

9. LajoieT

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    THAT should get some interesting replys!!!

Me, I'm not going to touch it.

Absolutely. If I were in the market for a cheap Neck Thru they'd probably be the only one on my list. Like I said I was real close to getting one, but dropped a bit more and got a Cirrus because I already had a 34" 4 string and Cirrus's are one of the few 4's made 35". And yes Dincrest, I was refering to the NTB 6's being 35, can't say from personal experience since I've never come across one, but I remember reading it in the specs. A lot of manufacturers make 34" 6s.

But if you're looking for a nice, cheap, bare wood feeling, neck thru, passive bass, the Grind NTB's are where it's at.

10. Vox Populi

Vox Populi Reggae Loving Honkey

Jan 27, 2004
    Poulsbo, WA
    NTB's are great, if you find the right one. Either play one before you buy, or buy from someone who is also a bass player and can vouch for it's overall quality.

I love them, and am in the process of buying one now.

11. sargebaker

sargebaker Commercial User

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    owner/builder, ISLAND Instrument Mfg.
  12. Dincrest

Dincrest

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    Lajoie- my apologies for reading it incorrectly. Don't I feel like a dimwit.

Sarge- good call. Used Carvins are a good value. Solid, well-made instruments, but the resale goes down quick on them, hence they can be had for cheap in the used market. That particular one you pointed to is niiiice, what with the Sperzel locking tuners. Wilkinson bridge, and all. And you have to love the Carvin flip-up battery compartment. I have a Carvin battery box on my Fairlane.

13. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    :eek: LOCKING TUNERS? :eek:

I kinda don't want a used one though... i'd like a new one to call my own. :hyper:

BTW I like the name Sgt. Baker.

EDIT: You know what, screw what I just said about getting a new bass, I didn't read your last one Dincrest.

14. Dincrest

Dincrest

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    I see nothing really wrong with used instruments, especially ones in great shape. I think a higher-end used bass is a better buy than a lower end new bass, but that's just me. I bought my Fairlane used (for peanuts) and that bass is totally "my" own and an extension of me.

I'll bet the dude who unloaded it on the music store didn't like the narrow neck/string spacing. But the bass is now home with me, where she belongs.

But whatever creams your Twinkie, I guess.

15. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    Yeah I just edited that above about one minute before you posted...

That Carvin is real nice, thanks for the suggestion! What are some things to beware for used though?

16. LajoieT

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    There are a LOT of things to worry about buying a used bass, especially off of E-Bay, but don't let that stop you from doing it. Just be carefull, not in a rush, and know what you're willing to spend and not go over it. I watched Cirrus's and Carvins for several months on e-bay to see what they were going for, bid on 5 or 6 that I lost becuase they went $50-100 over what I thought was the average good price and what I was willing to spend (don't forget to figure in shipping!!!) Finally got lucky with a Cirrus.

Some of the pitfalls I've heard from people buing instruments on e-bay are things like broken or non-functioning truss rods, serious cracks/breaks/repairs not mentioned in the ad, things like bad/cracked nuts and stripped screws and fried or damaged electronics that don't show in the pics, and things like that.

I flat out WILL NOT bid on an item that has poor quality/blurry/shaky or otherwise bad photos. If you look at these pics they often must have tried REALLY hard to get photos THAT bad, and they're trying to hide something. Do some research and find out EXACTLY what it is you're bidding on (if you can't find anything, post here and I'm sure SOMEONE will know something about some of the obscure makes, IIRC a friend of a well known and respected pro player here on TB bought a Brice of e-bay for something like $100 more than Rondo Music sells them for because he thought it looked like a great deal and was dirt cheap, but he didn't know who Brice (or SX) were. DON"T FINANCE THESE LEACHES!!!!) Don't bid on anything you find with 15 minutes left on the auction. RESEARCH BEFORE YOU BID, NOT AFTER!!! and give yourself enough time to do it.

Beyond the shady leaches out there, there is also the x-factor. That thing that makes one Fender MIM Jazz the sweetest thing ever, and the next one firewood. Some makers are more prone to it than others. I had played MANY Cirrus's and Carvins and knew them to be pretty consistent, but it's always a risk.

You might also consider buying used from some of the more respectable online dealers. Places like BassNW and BaseAlone have a decent selection of used instruments in various price ranges (BassNW's slection is GREAT) and you've got the advantage of dealing with a company that has been well documented in being honest and commited to customer service. So if it wasn't for you in the end you might actually be able to return it instead of trying to re-sell it. It might cost you some in shipping, but the peace of mind may be worth it.