Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My kinda Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JackColtman, Jun 30, 2004.

1. JackColtman

JackColtman

Dec 24, 2003
    I have a pretty unpopular (so it seems) taste of bass guitar, I like big horns and massive oar like basses that have wood finsishes, with symmetrical headstocks, there has only been one company/maker i've found that consistanley builds basses the way I like, Carl Thompson, there just absolutley brilliant, also the bassist from Alien Ant Farm Tye Zomara seems to have the same bass fashion sense as I, but all his are customs, I believe he has collaberated with fender to create his own custom also, anyway does anyone have the same sense of "bass liking" I do, if so do they have a name for the type? Does anyone know any other companys that build big jazzy basses like the ones im talking about so I could get one? Les Claypool and Stanley Clarke seem to have my bass fashoin sense too

2. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    You're not alone, my friend!!!

[​IMG]

3. JackColtman

JackColtman

Dec 24, 2003
    lovley, simply lovley, gotta name for the style?

4. niomosy

niomosy

Nov 9, 2002
    If you like Carl Thompson, some of Carl's protege's would be likely candidates for you. Especially since it was announced on CT's site forum that he'll stop taking orders some time in the next few months.

5. DaveBeny

DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    Some Carl Thompson basses look great, but I've seen some REALLY ugly ones!

Mark, I still can't get over your red bass! It's fantastic looking! Don't forget - full review and soundclips please! :)

6. niomosy

niomosy

Nov 9, 2002
    I'm sure I've seen at least a few of the CT's you're talking about. You're right, not every one is a gem. He does make some great looking ones as well, though.

7. DaveBeny

DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    Here's a nice CT:

8. DaveBeny

DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    Here's a "less pretty" CT:

9. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    Mike Browne, Darrin Huff, and Mark Eshenbaugh have all worked with Carl and/or have been associated with Carl in varrying degrees over the years. Here are a few examples of thier works that you might enjoy...

Mike and Mark:

10. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    ...and two from Darrin:

11. That thing is awsome. Beautiful. :cool:

12. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    I think so! :D If there was ever one to pocket for myself..... :)

13. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    You are not alone at all.

[​IMG]

14. JackColtman

JackColtman

Dec 24, 2003
    so does anyone have a name for this style? all the basses that have been posted on here are sheer brilliance, I sem to be not alone, and is there any other companys that makes basses like that? Tye Zomara uses big fat basses, but I cant find much about the types he uses or his fender custom

15. Martin Petersen who builds the Sei Bass. Mine [below] is a Sei Flamboyant.

Regards

Matthew

16. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Sorry Jack, I didn't see this.. These are Conklin Sidewinders!!

http://www.conklinguitars.com

17. Jack:

Click Here

Then follow the links to Elrick, Acacia, Conklin, Carl Thompson, Bee, Benavente, Eshenbaugh, Stambaugh, Ritter, Sei, Hanewinckel, Nordstrand, and Sukop.

All are boat-oar like, natural finished, pieces of art that happen to reproduce the low frequencies.

BTW, Tye plays Ken Lawrence basses and I believe Hanewinckel.

18. JackColtman

JackColtman

Dec 24, 2003
    Brilliant, thanks alot they're all very nice, which would be the cheapest?

19. What exactly are you looking for? 4,5,6,7,8 strings? Neck-thru or bolt on?

From what I've seen Nordstrand's are probably one of the best bangs for your buck.

www.nordstrandguitars.com

Geoff

20. Elricks and Conklins both have economy models. Cort produces an Elrick inspired line and Conklin has Groove Tools which you'd find at Guitar Center. Not the same, but in the same 'spirit' as the customs which range from $2500-$6000.