Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My kitty is really sick

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Nick Gann, Dec 30, 2003.

1. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    My cat is really sick. I took him to the vet yesterday after he came home looking pretty badly beat up, either by another animal, or possibly a skim from a car. The vet called and said that he had urinary tract problems, specifically, his bladder was full of urine crystals, to the point of being stretched to its max size and being solid as a rock. He was unable to pee because no urine could pass through, and is in shock from the toxins that were building in his body. The vet put a cathater in and drained the crystals, and rehydrated him, but since his bladder was expanded so much for so long, it lost muscle tone and he is unable to pee on his own. To top it off, he has a tape worm. The worm is not that serious of a problem and can be taken care of by meds, and neither are his external injuries which are already stitched up and looking good, but his bladder issue is a serious problem. He will have to be on a special diet for the rest of his life to try to prevent the crystals from forming.

Storm is really sick, and I don't know what to do. Sorry for rambling on, I just had to let it out.

If any of my posts seem angry, harsh, whatever, in the next few days, I'm sorry, but it's probably because of this.

2. Nick Gann

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    [​IMG]

I just want him to be home and safe.

3. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    Well, cry if you need to. Everyone cries, I don't care how manly they claim to be.

Losing a pet sucks... watching a pet suffer is so much worse... especially a cat...

:(

4. Stephen S

Stephen S Member

Apr 10, 2002
    San Bernardino, CA
    Poor kitty.:(

5. ditto

hope the poor thing gets as well as he can :bawl:

6. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Well, that should wrap up the sick kitty threads for 2003.

7. Sorry man, it must be tough. At least you know he's still alive and with proper treatment he can live a full life.

8. hope she pulls through!

gluck :)

9. Nick Gann

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    Thanks everyone. When I went to see him today, it literally broke my heart. He was laying there with the IV in his leg, so sedated he could barely keep his head up, and he growled at me when I pet him. It makes me really sad and depressed, even helpless, that he growled at me when I tried to comfort him in the only way I know how.

:(

10. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

Sorry Nick, that must be tough. I have grown to really love cats and can imagine how it must feel.

11. Damnit Nick...

I am really sorry to hear about Storm.

I hope you two pull through.

good luck

12. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    aww crap man, i hope he gets better soon. seeing an animal in pain really pulls at your heart strings, and i can tell you that your doing a better job than i would be. sorry again mate.

13. I'm sorry to hear that Tuba miester. I have a cat that had a urinary problem with the crystals in the bladder. I don't think my case may have been as serious as yours but my cat made a full recovery but still has to eat special food i buy from the vets for $40 a bag.

I hope Storm makes a speedy recovery.

14. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    Odd, I am sure you read of the recent loss of my dog. On one of the last trips to the vet office with her, while waiting my turn, I heard the vet tell the lady in front of me that was the exact problem with her cat, and it too would need to go on a special diet, which is VERY expensive.

Hope the best for you man, losing a friend like that is super tough....I would have given anything to save Spence.

15. Nick Gann

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    Update: He's doing ok, me and mom are going to get him from the vet in a little while. He still can't pee on his own, but the vet is going to teach us how to "assist" him. Test results will be back on Friday to tell if he has kidney damage or not. He is slowly getting better, but he isn't out of the woods yet.

16. From a guy with two cats and a dog, best of luck to you, your family and Storm. My little tabitha has a thyroid problem, and leo (her brother) has had urinary problems for most of his adult life (they are both around 13).

Best of luck to you again.

17. In that case, less :( , and more :)

But it's still pretty :(

18. Well, I guess there's a light at the end of the tunnel, and maybe the cat could make a full recovery? I'm sorry to hear about this though.

Best of luck to the recovery of your cat and yourself. I hope your heart isn't really literally broken.:p

19. Nick Gann

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    Storm passed away today at 6:15.

[​IMG]

Rest in Peace. I will love you and remember you always.

I will post more when I stop crying.