Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My knob's fallen off...

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by burntgorilla, Oct 20, 2005.

1. burntgorilla

burntgorilla

Jan 24, 2005
    Belfast
    Yes, the one on my Geddy Lee has come off. It's the smaller one, that controls the tone. I put the bass into my gig back, took it out later on, and the knob had fallen off. I have no idea how. I also have no idea how to put it back on. The peg that the plastic knob goes onto is completely smooth, and thought they worked by being grooved, to grip the plastic top. I can click the knob back on, but it just spins freely. The actual metal rod bit still controls the tone, so I'm just at a loss as to how the damn thing gets back on.

2. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    And the winner for "Best Thread Title of the Year" goes to...

3. :D Hahaha.. good one..

Check the knob. On its side there is probably a set screw. Slotted head or allen-head. Align the knob where you want it on the shaft, and tighten it up a BIT.. Don't strip it by overtightening, ok? Then you'd be buying a new knob...

Mag...

4. Or if it's not that way, glue it.

5. It's either a set-screw or press fit (ribs or grooves on pot shaft and inside the knob)..

If, by some weird chance that it's not, don't use GLUE. Perhaps wrap the tonepot shaft with a layer (or more) of scotch tape, until the knob will stay put when you press-fit it on.

Mag...

6. Unchain

Unchain I've seen footage.

Jun 20, 2005
    Tucson, AZ
    See if the split shaft got squished together. If so, shove a screwdriver in there and pull it apart.

7. burntgorilla

burntgorilla

Jan 24, 2005
    Belfast
    I found a little space for an allen key, so once I find one that fits I'll get it on. Thanks for the help, I have no idea why it came loose, though.