1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

My L-2500 vs my Cirrus 5

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by StuartV, May 10, 2010.

1. StuartV

StuartV Finally figuring out what I really like Supporting Member

Jul 27, 2006
    Manassas, VA
    I got my Peavey Cirrus 5 brand new a couple of months ago. I got a mint, used G&L L-2500 on Friday. Both are Made in U.S.A..

After spending some quality time with both, I noted a few things.

Caveat: I am a long-time musician (low brass and drums), but fairly new to playing bass.

- The Cirrus seems very well setup right out of the box. The action is low and I don't have much trouble fretting notes without getting buzzing. The 2500 needs a setup, I think. The action seems a little higher and I get more buzzing when fretting notes from not pressing the string hard enough.

- The neck on the 2500 is definitely thicker, front to back. I think the specs say it's a little wider, too. I notice the extra thickness, but I don't really notice the extra width. The extra thickness is different-feeling than the Cirrus, but not bad different. Just different. I actually like them both. The Cirrus seems flatter on the back of the neck and the 2500 thicker by being more of a rounded shape.

- The Cirrus feels like it's a tiny bit longer reach to the first fret, but so far that difference doesn't bother me, either.

- Playing with all the adjustments, I think I can get more different types of sounds out of the 2500.

- If I take all my fingers off the strings (on the 2500), I get a slight electrical hum to a somewhat louder hum depending on the settings. But, as long as I'm touching the strings somewhere, the buzz pretty much goes away. OTOH, the Cirrus never makes any buzzing noise that I've noticed. I put a new battery in the 2500, just to make sure that didn't have anything to do with it.

- It seems like I get more string noise on the 2500 when I slide my fingers up and down the strings. That could just be down to the strings themselves, though. The Cirrus has the stock Peavey Cirrus strings which feel a little smoother. I don't know for sure what strings are on the 2500, but it looks and feels so "new", I would be surprised if they are anything but the stock original strings. They definitely feel a little rougher. They are how I would imagine Roto roundwounds to feel based on the descriptions I've read.

- And it seems like I get more string clacking on the 2500. I.e. if I play something fast on the B string, or just pluck really hard on the B or E, I seem to get more sounds like the string is clacking off the fret board or something. Again, could just be down to the strings and a setup.

- Comparing the B strings, I suppose popular wisdom would be that the Cirrus B would better because of being 35" scale. So far, I don't notice the 2500 B string being inferior to the Cirrus B in any way. I didn't really focus a lot on that, though, so I suppose I could change my opinion on that later.

- The 2500 seems like it sounds more "aggressive" is the only way I can describe it. Or at least, can be easily made to sound that way. I have yet to find a setting on the Cirrus to make it sound really growly like I got the 2500 to sound.

All in all, I really like them both and I'm really glad to have them both. I feel like the contrasts between them are definitely helping to broaden my bass experience.

2. kjpollo

kjpollo

Mar 17, 2008
    CT
    Glad you like both basses! I have a Warmoth with the guts from an L-2500 and I love what I can get out of that tone circuit. You're spot-on about the aggressive tone you can get from that bass. I''ve never played a Cirrus so I cant comment on the sound or feel of that one.

As far as the hum goes on the L-2500- that sure sounds like a grounding issue. Those can really be a PITA to diagnose, and I have no clue about how to fix it. Sorry!

3. StuartV

Jul 27, 2006
    Manassas, VA
    From reading elsewhere, it's my understanding that the hum is normal for the L-2500. At least, for models with the Bass Boost setting. Ones with bass boost have caps on one coil of both pickups, so they can never be 100% humbucking.

It seems like you'd think they wouldn't affect it if the selector switch was not set for Bass Boost, but I think what I read says that even with the other settings, they will still have some hum.

Apparently, some 2500s have been made that don't have those Bass Boost caps, so those can be pretty much silent.

Regardless, I think I'm going to get mine over to a local guy that has a really good reputation for doing repairs and setups and get him to go over it and install some shielding while he's at it.

4. tycobb73

tycobb73

Jul 23, 2006
    Grand Rapids MI
    It would be best if you put the same brand and age of strings on both. Most of what you describe can be attributed to the different strings. But overall the 2500 probably is more aggressive than the Cirrus and the Cirrus will handle a lower set than the 2500.

5. StuartV

Jul 27, 2006
    Manassas, VA
    Interesting comment. So, what is it about the 2500 that makes it where it won't handle as low a set as the Cirrus? I thought it would just be a matter of adjusting the truss rod, nut, bridge and saddles to get the 2500 action just as low as the Cirrus. Or something like that. (that's why I'm going to pay a pro to do the setup :))