Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My Lakland 55-02 just arrived

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Somebassguy, Dec 17, 2003.

1. Somebassguy

Somebassguy

Nov 5, 2003
    Everett Wa
    Oh my God, I've never played a bass like this in my life. Neck is absolutely awesome, B string is crisp and clear (like a piano), The growl puts any Rics or warwicks to shame, sorry folks, I've played em both and owned a RIC, this is just fact. The versaitilty of this bass is really what blows me away, I can tune in literally any sound I want and then some. Truly an amazing bass !!!

On a side note, What settings do you lakland owners use. Currently all my knobs are set on flat, my toggle switch sits towards the bridge pickup. Any other suggestions or favorite postions? :D

2. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

We won't believe you have a new bass until you post pics.

3. nick g.

nick g. Supporting Member

Nov 9, 2003
    Chandler, Arizona
    Pictures, dammit!

4. Bayou_Brawler

Bayou_Brawler The most hurtful thing ever realized

Oct 23, 2003
    Ann Arbor, MI
    PICS!!!!!!!!!!

5. Mud Flaps

Mud Flaps

Feb 3, 2003
    Norton, MA
    I'm a 44-02 owner. Here is how I equalize:

Classic Jazz-
    Pan: %90 J, %10 MM
    Bass: %100
    Mid: %35
    Treble: %10

Modern/Fusion Jazz Not Slapped:
    Pan: %50
    Bass: %90
    Mid: %40
    Treble: %75

Slapped Jazz:
    Pan: %60 J, %40 MM
    Mid: %50
    Treble: %70

Not Slapped Rock:
    Pan: %40 J, %60 MM
    Bass: %90
    Mid: %40
    Treble: %50

Slapped Rock:
    Treble: %65

Jaco Covers:
    Bass: %75
    Treble: %80
    *Coil Position Left, Back poles only.

Miller Covers:
    Pan: %70 J, %30 M
    Treble: %90
    *Coil Position Left

Claypool Covers:
    Bass: %75
    Mid: %100
    *Coil Position Left

Flea Covers:
    Pan: 0% J, 100% MM

All Slapped Songs:
    Treble: %80
    *Coil Position Right

Hope that helps!

Edit: The knob towards the bridge means that you only have the back coils of the MM pickup turned on. Tell me if you need a description of all the knobs. I have a diagram.

6. Somebassguy

Somebassguy

Nov 5, 2003
    Everett Wa
    Sorry for getting back so late, haven't been able to put this bass down since I got home ..hehe.

As far as pics go, unfortunately I don't have a digital camera yet (can't afford one with all this new gear I bought recently :D ) so i will have to revert to the old fashioned method and take out my canon and get the pics developed this weekend. I'll scan and get these pics up asap. Anyways I gotta get back to this piece of art.

Laterz :bassist:

7. Somebassguy

Somebassguy

Nov 5, 2003
    Everett Wa
    Mud Flaps, thanks a ton for this info. I'm going to print it out for easy referance. I also got a diagram of all the controls with the bass but thanks for the offer regardless :)

Peace :bassist:

BTW, this has got to be the LOUDEST frickin bass I've ever played. :D

8. CaracasBass

CaracasBass

Jun 16, 2001
    Madrid, Spain
    I second that.......

9. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Little thing I found useful/tasteful with my 55-02;

- When you change strings, you might try stringing your D and G through the tailpiece and your B, E, and A through the body. I advised some others to try it that way, and they liked it.

(NOTE: I use stainless steel roundwounds, .045-.125 if that matters)

FWIW, I like the dip switches on that preamp set to 250Hz's because mine is ash/maple and sounds natually "bright" and can have a lot of "bite."

10. Somebassguy

Somebassguy

Nov 5, 2003
    Everett Wa
    Yeah, I have an ash body and maple neck also. The bite is insane, almost a distortion. How do I go about making those changes with the dip switch?

11. rickbass

Take the screws out of your preamp cover and you'll see the preamp with 3 TINY dip switches. (I think they're green; I haven't been in there for a year or so).

There should be a diagram glued to the inside of the cover that shows you how to set it for 250/500/750 Hz's. Be gentle when you push/pull them.

Yep, that ash/maple bite is purely insane!.....so much for Bartolini's rep for being "smooth and natural" although the bass can sound very "round" depending on how you play it.

12. Mud Flaps

Mud Flaps

Feb 3, 2003
    Norton, MA
    you're welcome.

BTW, something that I thankfully haven't had the opportunity to check yet is whether the passive mode works with a dead battery or two. Anyone know?

13. Somebassguy

Somebassguy

Nov 5, 2003
    Everett Wa
    One thing I noticed about my Lakland, the B and E strings are about twice as loud as the other strings. Is this normal on all Laklands? They really BOOM.

Also I never checked passive mode without the battery but I did notice that when I go into passive mode the volume drops dramatically. Must be the fact that in passive mode the electronics bypasses the tone controls?

14. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Nice tip!! I'm just trying this now - I've had my 55-02 Deluxe since March but hadn't thought about doing this!! ;)

Thanks!! :)

15. rickbass

Sheesh, Bruce! I didn't know you had one.

Even though the pound has remained strong against the US dollar, I hope you felt you got a good value.

Some people are put off by the neck without graphite bars. But even one of the "masters", Rick Turner, said on mimf.com, that plain old flatsawn maple is what he has been using just like Dan Lakin.

Moreover, I was reading an article yesterday in a "guitar" magazine that was touting a Korean-made Van Halen guitar. I never stopped to consider it, but, the author had a good point - the S. Koreans have been building electric guitars/basses for about 30 years and they know what "quality" is by now.

16. Mud Flaps

Mud Flaps

Feb 3, 2003
    Norton, MA
    Good points all around. You know, if you actually compare the sound of a 55-02 and a 55-94 (with similar specs) you probably won't notice too much of a difference. But the 55-94's do have graphite reinforcement bars. I'm so sick of this "it has to be American made" and "no one else knows crap about quality". Because, after all, not much else matters besides the sound.

17. rickbass

Mud - Your point is shared by a guy who also owns a "real Lakland" and got a tour of the Lakland shop when the Skylines came out. He said what you're saying...check it out -

http://www.amstadt.com/tblarchive/VOL2001/300-399/bl377.html#8

18. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

It was certainly very good value compared with other basses of similar quality that you can buy here and about a third of what US-made Laklands were going for, a few years ago!!

I tried setting the dip switches on my bass as you suggested and it sounds very different - I am amazed as I already thought the tonal variety was huge!! I'm not sure I like it, but it is bassier - I'm playing with the big Latin band tomorrow night, so I think I will leave it and see how it sounds in the band context, before deciding whether to put it back. :)

19. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    pics pics pics pics....:D

20. Somebassguy

Somebassguy

Nov 5, 2003
    Everett Wa
    As promised pics of my new lakland 55-02 :) Kinda shoddy pics, My Canon's battery died so I had to use one of those cheap disposable cameras. I'll get better pics up asap.[​IMG]