Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

my Lakland just arrived! woohoo

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by The Nanny, Jul 12, 2005.

1. The Nanny

The Nanny

Dec 23, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    Last night I bought a Lakland Skyline 55-01 Deluxe, cherryburst! OMG this thing plays like BUTTA! I've never owned a bass of this quality...now I know what all the fuss is about...songs I've struggled a bit with on other basses came of REAL easy on this instrument. Its like its build for my hands!

Thanks for those here at TB that have been giving me bass buying advice!

The Nanny

2. jonwb

jonwb

Jul 11, 2005
    Congratulations! How does it sound with the Bartolini pups? Supposedly it's one of the easiest 5-strings to play. I'm looking very closely at the Lakland 55 series. Can I ask where you bought it and what kind of deal you got?

Thanks and enjoy!

3. The Nanny

The Nanny

Dec 23, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    I bought it used from a guy here in Ottawa...he bought it brand new at a dealership in Arizona 6 months ago.

As for playability...I've been playing for almost 20 years, but mostly casually (not professionally)...until 2 years ago, I was only using 4 strings. I found the transition to 5 a challenge (old dog...new tricks), and needed a couple years of poking around on various 5-strings to determine what was good for me in sound and feel (but mostly feel). For my needs, I've finally found my bass. First, I don't even notice the feel of the extra long scale...I was a bit worried at first, but its nothing at all. Second, I don't have enormous hands, so the shallow neck feels very comfortable with me. And now that I'm used to 5-string basses, the wide neck feels very natural now (when I first made the conversion, I wanted a thin neck, almost like a 4-string). I know the 55-01 isn't the top of the Lakland line, but frankly I can't believe what I got for the money ($875 CDN)...the thing is still under manufacture warranty also.

As for the pickups, well they sound great to me...the treble in them runs really hot so I can't crank it without some noise, but that's ok cause I'm all about mids anyways.

One last thing...with the swamp ash body, I expected HEAVY...but its lighter than I expected, which is good for the shoulder after a 4 hour set! LOL

4. eldave777

eldave777

May 24, 2005
    Congrats on a fine instrument. I too just recieved a new 55-02. I got the Seymore Duncan Basslines upgrade however. This is my second 55-02 and I actually prefer the basslines to the barts in my first one. Anyway enjoy!

5. Congrats. I picked up a 55-94 in Toronto about 5 years ago and it is still my favorite bass to play. I've been seriously thinking about selling it in order to get a Sadowsky lately, but I'm still on the fence. I'm hoping to catch your show one of these days. I bookmarked your website (from a previous thread), so I'll keep checking the calendar.

Lager,
    Rocky

6. kalle74

kalle74

Aug 27, 2004

Soundclips pul-leeze. I´ve been thinking to do the same, but would like to hear them first...

7. primus_55

primus_55

Dec 28, 2004
    Laklands are beautiful!

Im looking at buying a 55-02D.

Pics?