Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My Lakland Skyline 55-02 finally arrived yesterday!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by dave64o, Jan 26, 2005.

1. dave64o

dave64o Talkbass Top 10 all time lowest talent/gear ratio! Gold Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2000
    Southern NJ
    I got quite a lot of help from TB members with this, so first of all, thanks all! I found a lot of good info doing searches and got some quick replies to questions I posted.

My first impression opening the case was "OMG it's GORGEOUS!". The natural finish looks so good in person, the picture below just doesn't do it justice.

Playing, I could tell I'll have to play it some to get used to it. My old MIM Jazz Deluxe V has a 34" scale length and this is 35" but that didn't seem to affect me. However, the wider string spacing did. I did several short sessions with throught the day yesterday and I could feel myself adjusting. I was used to more or less anchoring my thumb on the B string of my Jazz and playing like that, but I found that moving my anchor point as I played helped a lot. Don't know if tha't s proper technique or not but it seemed to be working.

It's also set up a LOT lower than my Jazz is, not that the Jazz is set up particularly high. However, paying more attention to how I'm playing and using a little bit lighter touch solved the rattling I got when I first picked it up. As I got used to the lower action I again did much better.

Now for the sound, tested through my G-K MB150S. First of all, the electronics are very quiet. Second, the tone is simply fantastic. I'm not a tone expert, so I can't compare it a given model of a given manufacturer from a given year but I just love it. The neck Jazz gives me a deeper and clearer tone than the neck pickup on my Jazz. Very nice. I've never played a MusicMan, so I can't realy compare it to a true MM. I like it but noticed that the coil tap switch didn't seem to give me three distinct tones. There's a noticeable difference when I set it for the bridge coil alone, but there doesn't seem to be much of a difference between the setting for the neck coil alone and both coils. Not sure why that is, but I'll pay closer attention to it to see if I just wasn't listening carefully enough. The three way tone controls are very responsive and I was able to get a wide variety of tones using them and the pickup selector.

I was never really unhappy or happy with the B on my Jazz, but I rarely used it for the low notes. I generally used it to minimize shifts whhile playing and for that it was OK. The B on the Lakland is fantastic, very clear no matter what note I played on it. I was worried about fret buzz with a big fat B string but it wasn't really a problem, even with the action so low.

And the real reason I was looking for a new bass was weight. My jazz weighs about 13.5 - 14 pounds. I weighed the Lakland and it was about 8.5. It feels so much better over my shoulder.

So my overall impression from the first day is a very, VERY good one. I originally intended to spend only about $600-$750 on the new bass so I was pretty nervous about spending this much on a bass I hadn't played before buying. It looks like it was money well spent. Assuming this is the keeper (and it looks that way right now) you'll probably see my Jazz go up for sale. It really is a nice bass, but since the Lakland has a Jazz at the neck and I can use the coil splitter to give me a single coil at the bridge I can basically do every on it that I could could do with my Jazz so I'd have no need to keep both. Besides, I sold the idea of spending more than anticipated by telling my wife I'd get rid of it.

Anyway, thanks again for all the help you guys gave. I'm thinking I'm going to LOVE playing this bass.

Attached Files:

2. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    You sound very happy. I may finally take the Lakland plunge next week myself. I want a 55-02, but I might get the 55-01 instead. Either way, I've been full of GAS for a Lakland about a year, but held off because there are no local dealers around here except one with a 55-94 that I cannot afford. This will be the first bass I ever order instead of buying in person. Your post is very encouraging.

3. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

Good Lookin' Bass. Congrats. Mmmm...new. BRAND NEW! Probably nice, deep and buttery. Cool lookin' stuff in back of it too. Hang out there alot?

4. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    Same with my (fairly) new 55-02.

Yes, it's almost P-like to me, which I very much love.

Here's where our experiences differ. At least to me, I do hear very distinct diffs if I solo the MM pickup and use the selector... especially going from either end to the center position. That "scooped bridgey" tone almost has a Smith-like quality to my ears. I just add a touch of low EQ and drink it like nectar.

Ditto that on the USA P 5 Dlx I used to own...

Ditto that.

Ditto that, although I'd read enough about them that I wasn't too concerned.

Congrats, and I know you'll continue to love the bass. Mine is just awesome in the live band mix, too. Cuts great.

5. Lackey

Lackey

May 10, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Hopefully my fretless 55-02 will be ordered soon. I just need to save up a bit more cash.

Dave, GREAT bass man! Really nice figuring in the ash too. I want to get natural, but some of the Skylines have non-matching body wood. I know it's not that important, but for 1000 bucks, I want to have matching body sides!

6. ErnieD

ErnieD

Nov 25, 2004
    Atascocita,TX.
    Not trying to toot my horn here but I think in your thread awhile back I may have suggested the 55-02 to you, maybe it was not you. Several replies stated this was out of your price range. I was not aware of the prices of the 55-02's but from the description of the sound you were looking for, it seemed this bass would be what you were seeking. I took delivery of my new 55-01 last week, right away I thought, I can never leave the action this low, I thought it was insanely low. But I have always played with a pretty light touch so the action has not been a problem. I have been tweaking my amps and the bass EQ settings but I am still trying to get my sound out of it. I have a Sray 5 & a MIM Jazz 4 so I think this bass will fit in nicely with the tone spectrum I am looking for. Been playing the 55-01 at a recent gig and practices and I am getting more used to it each time. I am enjoying the challenge abit of experimenting with a new instrument. Enjoy yours as well. I showed it to a guy with a tobias last nite and he was amazed that I bought it online, these days not really sure why he would be. I could not try one out locally so with the lower prices and return policies, why not. The worst thing, if any, was the anticipation of it being delivered to your door. :hyper: