My Lakland Story...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by 1954bassman, Jan 29, 2005.

1. 1954bassman

Jun 7, 2004
    Hickory, NC
    Long post. Sorry.

Last year I bought a used fretless 55-02 (2003 model) on eBay. This was this second imported bass I have ever owned, the first being in 1964, a no-name hollow body. I was apprehensive about buying a Korean bass, but I was intrigued by Lakland’s reputation. I own three other basses: G&L L2500, Modulus Quantum 6, and a Godin A5 fretless. All very nice basses, with different personalities. It was love at first bite with the 55-02, and it immediately moved into high rotation, adding its own unique voice to my arsenal. The first few months went great, and the love affair blossomed. Then tragedy struck. :bawl:

Twice a year I take all my basses, guitars, dobro, my wife’s fiddle and mandolin to our local guitar doctor for routine check-ups, adjustments, etc. During my late December visit, my poor Lakland was diagnosed with a loose truss rod. Not broken, loose. Rattling. I was sick. :( My fears of owning an imported bass were coming true, why oh why did I even bid on, and eventually buy this stupid Korean bass. With almost 40 years of experience, I know better. :oops:
    Remembering all the posts I had read on what a great company Lakland was, what a nice guy Mr. Lakland is (Dan I think), and their genuine customer service, I dropped them a email, telling them my sad story. After all, I had nothing to lose. Shortly thereafter, I received a Bad News /Good News / Bad News email. Bad news: my 55-02 is not under warranty, Good news: they are going to give me a new replacement neck anyway, only charging me for labor to install it at their factory, Bad news: Korean necks are scheduled to arrive in April.

Needless to say, I am thrilled! :hyper: All the stories about what a great company Lakland is seem to be very true. I cannot express my satisfaction accurately in words. This is great, I bought a used bass, and Lakland is making good on their product and service reputation. Now if I could only afford a USA model.

deManBass :cool:
  2. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    It's nice to read about the rare companies like Lakland who still provide great service to their customers. I'm glad things are going to work out so well for you. :)

The companies that I've personally had great service from include:
    Crest Audio
    Read Custom

One day I plan on buying a 55-94.

3. FUNKonthewall

FUNKonthewall Nailing The Groove

Sep 29, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    Endorsing: Fodera Guitars, Aguilar Amps, Dunlop/MXR Accessories
    Add Kubicki and Evidence Audio to that list. I bought new electronics for my Ex-Factor and Phil even sat with me on the phone as I figured out which wires go where. That's customer service. :bassist:
  4. WillPlay4Food

WillPlay4Food Now With More Metal! Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    That's great news, 1954bassman!

My Bongo's output jack crapped out last year. I bought this bass secondhand so I expected the usual "It'll cost $X for a replacement part, plus shipping and handling."

I was completely blown away that Ernie Ball sent me a replacement jack, no questions asked, free of charge. So add EBMM to the short list. :)
  5. BoiNtC

Nov 25, 2002
    NYC, USA
    Very cool story, but Mike Tobias and Roger Sadowsky deserve to be on that list too!
  6. PhatBasstard

PhatBasstard Spector Dissector Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    Being a new owner of a 55-02, that is now my main bass, this story made me feel better. Even though I am the second owner, this bass is only one month old (got it from a dedicated 4 stringer who wanted to give a 5 "a shot"). The still included warranty card didn't seem to say the warranty was transferable. Anybody know for sure?
  7. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    These guys advanced me a whole new preamp harness due to a failed bart mid module so I could not be w/out my bass for shipping/rework delays per my request (I happen to have tons of experience soldering elex, so I was very comfy with that deal). Admittedly, I bought it new, but nevertheless they did something out of the ordinary and with no questions asked to make me happy.
  8. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    I can certainly second Michael Tobias (who recently answered a "Where did you get that material?" question knowing full upfront that I wasn't a potential customer) as well as Pedulla, who mailed out a full package of info the day after I e-mailed to ask them a question.

And believe it or now, even the "Big Boys" can be extremely helpful from time-to-time. Fender was able to supply me with some info and the spec sheet for my Jazz Plus V when it was 10 years discontinued, and even though this is in basses I'll state that SWR's been outsanding in both pre and current "Fender" periods.
  9. ivanthetrble

Sep 9, 2002
    That does not surprise but at all. Dan Lakin and Lakland are great when it comes to customer service. I own 4 Laklands and will probably end up with one more at some point. Nice basses and nice people.
  10. dragonbass

dragonbass Commercial User

Feb 17, 2003
    Owner/Builder of LoPrinzi Basses.........................................EX-Sadowsky Guitars Builder
    Lakland does have one of the best Customer service departments!

My hat goes off to Dan, Carl and the rest of the crew.
  11. bigbeefdog

bigbeefdog Who let the dogs in?

Jul 7, 2003
    Mandeville, LA
    Wow. My experience is exactly the opposite. I sent Lakland an Email just over 3 weeks ago, and have yet to receive a reply. :scowl:
  12. Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    Have you tried calling them?
  13. Senor SQUID

Senor SQUID Guest

Jan 11, 2004
    Lakland is one of the best!! Dan and John are real nice guys. Epifani, Aguilar and Roscoe are also great companies to deal with.
  14. dragonbass

dragonbass Commercial User

Feb 17, 2003
    Owner/Builder of LoPrinzi Basses.........................................EX-Sadowsky Guitars Builder

Try resending the E-mail or call them.
    They never not respond to e-mails or call's....they just updated there web site so it may have gotten lost somewhere.

I have nothing but Great things to say about them. If there is any company that you want to deal with ....this is the ONE!
  15. Senor SQUID

Senor SQUID Guest

Jan 11, 2004
    +1 If you call them they always respond.
  16. ivanthetrble

Sep 9, 2002
    I have e-mailed Dan several times and always get a reply within 24 hours during the week.
  17. Eggman

Dec 3, 2004
    Denver, Colorado
    Likewise - I emailed Dan while he was on vacation and John answered. Emailed John while he was at NAMM and Dan answered. Had a couple problems with a brand new 44-02 they sent me from Chicago. Dan decided to build me a brand new one instead of repairing. Great communication and customer service.
  18. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    Yeah, the Preamp in my 55-01 fried somehow (literally charred), and they are just straight up sending me a whole new board, free of charge. They are awesome guys.
  19. dBerriff

Oct 2, 2004
    Oakham, UK
    A pat on the back for Ashdown here. A rogue patch lead destroyed a jack contact on my Electric Blue combo. A replacement socket was sent at no cost as soon as they got my email. I know it is only a small item, but it is the thought and support that count, especially when it was not their amp that was at fault. Thanks Martin. :)
  20. jefframm

jefframm Supporting Member

Dec 2, 2003
    Having talked to Dan quite a few times via email and phone, I think they have the same challenge all of us do... some of the emails get put in "junk" or caught by the spam filters in the email system, even when they shouldn't.

My experience with Lakland has always been oustanding. They're one of the most customer focused companies that I've done business with in any industry.

I think it pays to remember that any of the manufacturers or dealers that you work with likely get lots of calls and emails everyday. If you don't hear back from an email, it always is worth calling or sending a second email, IMO.