Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My last 400+ post... I swear!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by JoeDaddio, Jan 24, 2005.

1. Hey guys!

I appreciate all the help you've all been recently. You've helped me choose the 400+ as my next amp.

But, today I called the Guitar Center and they have a 400+ for sale for $999. It's a floor model though, so I don't quite know what to expect. Since I've never owned a tube amp, and my experiences with them is limited (probably about 2 hours total on a 400+) I was wondering what to look for in a used tube amp. I'm sure there will be some cosmetic flaws, scratches and such, but those I'm not really too concerened about. What I'm more concerned about is a warranty (should the warranty still be available even though it's a floor model?) and how long it's been on the floor with people having their grubby, careless hands all over it.

Should I do this, or should I wait for one to become available nearby (I'm sure shipping would be hellish) that someone bought new and babied? I've heard that these things are very reliable, pretty tank-ish, but I'm also not too sure where I'll find one for a similar price where I could drive and pick it up. Thanks again guys,

joe

2. Ralphdaddy

Ralphdaddy Supporting Member

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    I wouldn't worry too much honestly. Considering these go for like 1500 normally I'd jump on it ASAP. It's been said that these amps don't sound their best without a retube with high quality tubes and I'm willing to bet that's true, i just retubed the preamp in my YBA200 and it was like night and day. Regardless, if it's worth it to you and you're willing to wait maybe you should. but I'd at least go look at it and see what it's like. Take your cabinet and your bass(es) and work it out HARD. Crank it, move every knob, push every button, slide every slider. If anything doesn't work as it should... walk. No worries. Good luck bud.

3. Rockbobmel

Rockbobmel Supporting Member

Ask em if you can have 30 days with full 100% return rights. $900. is average + for used. It may have the STR 454 tubes which are Svetlanas.