1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

My last eBay experience... Weeks of pulling my hair out!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by SLaPiNFuNK, Oct 8, 2009.

1. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Commercial User

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    The Brains: FretNation.com
    Some of you may know I have been trying to sell one of my Ken Smiths.

Well, I finally did on eBay...

I have been selling on eBay for years and know all the schemes and what to look out for... but this is my first experience like this...

The customer signed for the package, and there were no exceptions with UPS etc.

About 10 hours later, the receiver filed a PayPal dispute... "I received a case with NO GUITAR IN IT!"

I called him up, he says to me, "ummm yeah, the UPS driver said there was damage on the box and I should open it infront of him, so I did and there was nothing in the case"

so I said, "you signed for the package, why would you do that if there was nothign in it, if you were infront of the UPS driver, he wouldnt have released the package to you if it was damaged etc. We will just have to deal with this through paypal"

in the mean time, I called UPS, the weight of the package was consistent with when it was shipped. I have video of when the bass was Packaged at the UPS store showing the bass in the case (from their surveillance camera, good to be a frequent customer). UPS also said that they would not have released the package etc if there was damage etc... and the driver wouldnt wait around for the reciver to open it... I told UPS to do an investigation...

UPS calls the receiver trying to set up an inspection of the package... I guess they had a hard time the first day...

PayPal requested certain documentation from the receiver... "Police Report"

the next day, UPS calls to set up another inspection...

A few days go by and basically I have to wait... PayPal can not use any of the video footage, UPS data that was consistent with the shipment... etc...

I finally call UPS to find out the status of this "Investigation." they tell me "we have not done an investigation because the receiver states "I changed my mind, there is no longer anything missing from the package.""

I call PayPal rite away and tell them this! I still have to wait until his deadline to file his phoney police report, (where if he did do this, I would have all of his information, already have been dealing with an attorney's that I know in a couple of different states etc...

well... the buyer ended up never responding to the dispute with PayPal,

:hyper::hyper::hyper::hyper::hyper:

So much stress off my shoulders...

2. Yikes. I'm sorry you had to go through such a crappy experience. I hope it's all behind you now.

3. Wow...just, wow.

The whole long-distance internet-transaction landscape has gotten so marred with scammers and dishonest people. As always, what should have been a good thing gets mucked up by people's lack of ethics and morals.

I am so glad you got out of this one with your shirt on. Unscrupulous buyers are going to ruin the whole concept. Soon, it will just not occur any more to sell something long-distance. It will be completely outdated. Sad.

4. brett7276

brett7276 Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2009
    Indianapolis
    wow once again...not a fan of paypal...I had a very similar expereince with a deal on a G&L ended up being out $800...not cool...Glad it worked out for you its a shame that there are people like that out there.

5. steve f

steve f Supporting Member

Aug 16, 2009
    Toxic, Maryland
    WOW!
    I've changed my mind, there's no longer anything missing...
    Unbelievable.

6. SLaPiNFuNK

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    oh it sure is... thaks....

Things to make sure of when selling anything through paypal....

#1 - you ship any package with a payment of over $250 or more with SIGNATURE CONFIRMATION. NO EXCUSES!

#2 - make sure you ship to the CONFIRMED ADDRESS on the paypal payment (not a "work address" or "friend cuz I wont be home".

#3 - make sure you are "ELIGIBLE" for seller protection (this protects you if you do all of the above and the person disputes the charge with their CC company etc)

7. I'm guessing the bass must have magically reappeared...

:rollno:

8. fractal0243

fractal0243

Nov 26, 2007
    Syracuse, NY
    Dude, that's crazy. What a sketchy guy.

I had a similar problem when I sold a fish tank on a local forum. I said local pickup only, but the guy was insisting that I send it anyway. I made him agree that any damage in shipping would not be my responsibilty. I took it to a UPS store, paid them to package it, etc etc. 4 days later I got a nasty email from the guy, in all caps of course, yelling at me for selling him a damaged fish tank. I argued with him for a few days, then said screw it and just gave him his $75 back.

Glad it worked out for you though, he must have realized he didn't stand a chance.

9. SLaPiNFuNK

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    Thanks...

You didnt try doing a UPS claim if it was damaged? Any item packaged at a UPS store is usually insured against damage...

10. scHism

scHism

Aug 12, 2009
    Philippines
    magical bass indeed! :ninja:

11. SCREW PAYPAL!!! I will never use them again. When I buy or sell it is by US Post Office money orders ONLY. If the seller or buyer wont accept this then NO deal!

12. groooooove

groooooove Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2008
    Long Island, NY
    i listed something on ebay recently, and it wouldn't let me list it as USPS money orders only.. it said your not allowed to pay by money orders with ebay anymore. i thought that was ridiculous..

13. You do know that E-bay owns Paypal, don't you? This is their way of trying to keep everything 'in-house.'

14. D Bopp

D Bopp Supporting Member

May 26, 2007
    Atlanta, GA
    What that ebay members screen name? I want to put him on my block list.

15. WarriorJoe7

WarriorJoe7 Banned

Mar 12, 2004
    Syracuse, NY
    I sell basses sometimes. what's the ebay name?

16. eyeballkid

eyeballkid Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2009
    yeah.. id like to block list him too.

17. Although I don't sell on eBay, I was really ticked when they stopped negative feedback on buyers. I got my positives to over 100 transaction with no negatives or neutrals and now it seems pretty pointless as any jackass buyer can pull a stunt like this and it doesn't matter.

18. I agree we need to blacklist the buyer.... his ebay sn please. There is a frum on ebay where you can alert other sellers also.

19. Glad it worked out for you. I hope you got a good price for the Cheshire Cat bass. How cool is that? A bass that changes from visible to invisible and back again....

20. AltGrendel

AltGrendel Squire Jag SS fan.

May 21, 2009
    Mid-Atlantic USA.
    The bass wasn't magical, the case was.

:p