1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

My last hope

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by Geezer Brown, Mar 17, 2013.

1. Hi!

This is my last ditch effort to solve a problem with my interface before I throw everything in the trash.

I'm running a very basic home studio setup using cubase and a digitech 002 rack setup. We (myself, my band mates, and the co-producer) have gone through the signal chain and determined the problem lays strictly within the interface itself. When recording and during playback, we randomly and intermittently get heavy static digital sounding distortion. No, it has nothing to do with monitor connections, as some tracks will record fine while others get destroyed by this. The noise will go to tape with the tracks, so we know for sure it isn't the monitors fault, even though we can hear it on the armed tracks through the monitors and headphones.

This problem has been rampant on the avid/digitech website forever with no solution.

I beg for your help. We've wasted hundreds of dollars and hours (days even) putting up with the problem, with no avail to our frustration.

Thank you,
    Art:bassist:

2. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    Run the DPC Latency checker
    http://www.thesycon.de/deu/latency_check.shtml
    Read the whole page

It can be interferene with other apps and services, Run msconfig, and turn a bunch of start ups off, and services off, and see if you an identify any single or a group of things that could be causing the problem.

Set the interface to 44100 HZ 24 bits, or 16 bits. You don't need higher. Adjust the buffers.

Other articles on buffers and such. Try upping them until you don't hear crackle.
    http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/jan05/articles/pcmusician.htm

If it's truly random and not load specific, make sure no interference is nearby, like cell phones. These can spurt random noise to poorly shielded devices.

3. Will do tomorrow if my drummer ever decides to get up off of his fat ass. In the meantime, bump

4. Good list of troubleshooting. Software is less of a pain to solve...(well sometimes).

I don't have anything as extensive but I had a similar problem on my buddy's set up. Turned out that one (maybe two) of the wires in the interface were our of place in the stranded pair. If the vibrations hit off just right, static like no other. In the case of my little RP250 pedal, the bend radius of my cable was exceeded. Go figure.