1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

My late 70's Ampeg V4 is losing volume; help!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by GreaserMatt, Sep 26, 2010.

1. GreaserMatt

GreaserMatt

Sep 4, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    So, I picked this thing up as a project for $200 a couple of years ago; It had a blown output trans IIRC, and needed a few little things here & there; The tech said the tubes were good, and replaced the caps. All was well until about a month ago, when right in the middle of playing it, the volume dropped off to nothig. Huh!? Then, to make it even weirder, when you crank the midrange knob on the eq, it gets louder. It's possessed, I think, LOL. I don't have any dough to get it fixed right now, is there anything that I can do to try to pinpoint the problem??? I shoulda held out for an early 70's I think... grr... Matt

2. GreaserMatt

GreaserMatt

Sep 4, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    100_4594.gif

zzzz100_4621.gif

The culprit...

3. KramerBassFan

KramerBassFan

Jan 3, 2009
    I don't get it?

You say its a V4, but i only see two 7027 tubes?

Or is it the fact it isn't plugged in.... :bag:

4. Get the knobs that go to 11.

5. Soverntear

Soverntear

Mar 17, 2008
    Toronto
    hey man ill gladly give you the $200 you invested so you can hold out for that early 70's one :p

6. GreaserMatt

GreaserMatt

Sep 4, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    No, theres 4 tubes there...

7. GreaserMatt

GreaserMatt

Sep 4, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    What a bunch of jokers on here... LOL

8. GreaserMatt

GreaserMatt

Sep 4, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    zzzanimalhouse19.gif

LOL

9. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    try tapping the tubes when it's on with a chopstick and listen for signs of problems like microphonics or cutting out.

10. mikeldtl

mikeldtl

Oct 23, 2005
    Portland, OR
    Anything after noon on the EQ of a V4 is a boost. So I'd expect it to increase in volume. As the tubes are mounted in a hanging fashion gravity tends to work them slowly out of the socket. Try to push and seat all of the tubes (esp. the preamp tubes which have no retainer) back in to place gently first. Give that a whirl and report back.

11. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2007
    boston, ma
    The tubes are spread out in the later models. If you're looking at the back there are two on the left, two on the right versus all four on the left like in the earlier models.

12. GreaserMatt

GreaserMatt

Sep 4, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    Thanks guys! I'll let you know...

13. KramerBassFan

KramerBassFan

Jan 3, 2009
    Oh! I was not aware. Mines a 70', So thats why the confusion sprung up... thanks. Mine was also a Dollar per watt, and still doesn't work :bag:

14. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Washington, Utah
    John K Custom Basses
    as long as all the tubes are lighting up properly, i'd start troubleshooting by replacing preamp tubes one at a time.

15. GreaserMatt

GreaserMatt

Sep 4, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    ok

16. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    Badass rig BTW... Bummer about the problems, but well worth getting fixed. I'll never let mine go!

-robert

17. anderbass

anderbass

Dec 20, 2005
    Phoenix. Az.
    Hey GreaserMatt, does it act up on both input channels or only 1?

18. GreaserMatt

GreaserMatt

Sep 4, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    Both; here's a quote form a local tech:

I've had similar issues with other late 70s v4s. The issue is likely in the screen/bias supply.

19. GreaserMatt

GreaserMatt

Sep 4, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    Ok bros, when I tapped on the tubes, 2 of the power tubes made an audible noise (like through the speakers), & one of the pre amp tubes did the same thing; also, I forgot to mention that there is a low hum going on the whole time its on... I said earlier that the OT trans was replaced, but now I'm thinking it was the power trans; if you look at the back of the amp, it's the one on the left side. Thanks in advance! Matt

20. GreaserMatt

GreaserMatt

Sep 4, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    Ok, yeah, they are all lighting up, so I just need to locate some of these weird pre-amp tubes that they use, LOL...

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 8, 2021