My latest bass; 31" scale one

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by MPU, Jul 16, 2005.

1. MPU

Sep 21, 2004
    Valkeala Finland
    Here's a few pics of my latest bass, a 31" scale chambered four-string. Body is alder, neck is maple with walnyt stripes and rosewood fingerboard and top is maple with cream binding. Finish is oil and wax. Pickup is DiMarzio P, bridge is from Customshopparts.
  2. MPU

Sep 21, 2004
    Valkeala Finland
    Some more close-ups.
  3. I love your design and the execution looks great too. I see several influences but no need to mention them because you've pulled them together into something new. Build more!

I have a question and an observation - First the observation - I'm saying it now and may the bass gods hold their fire but the P pickup is absolutely a design killer - it's odd shape is simply the worst thing to try to fit into a flowing design. If one were to design a bass from the ground up, with no design restrictions, no one in their right mind would choose that shape on purpose. It's a shame because that pickup has the right sound for a bass like that - just not the physique.

And my question - How did you come to settle on a 31" scale? That's definitely an odd number when 32" and 30" are both familiar standards.

And how about filling out your profile so that we know a little more about you.
  4. Cerb

Sep 27, 2004
    I absolutely love everything about this bass, right down to the font used for the inlay :). Very well executed.
  5. Loel

Loel Blazin' Acadian Supporting Member

Oct 31, 2004
    there's something about the simplicity of that bass with short scale 1 vol;plug that into good amplification and stand back boys.great job :hyper:
  6. I better clarify this because it reads like I'm slagging your design because of the pickup. I don't mean that at all. What I mean is that it's a shame that a great pickup like that little humbucker has to be so esthetically contrary to how most bass designs flow and that an elegantly simple design like yours is forced to use the little pig because it's got the right sound. And as I typed the period of that last sentence, I came up with the ultimate solution for that problem...

modeling pickups! :D
  7. ArtisFallen

Jul 21, 2004
    man i couldn't agree more. another good solution would just be to make a wood pickup cover that looked like an MM, but housed a P.... but enough of my useless banter

wonderful bass. i love it's simplicty, it's so gracefull. are my eyes playing tricks on me or is there some subtle figuring in that topwood?
  8. paintandsk8

paintandsk8 Pushin' my soul through the wire...

May 12, 2003
    West Lafayette, IN
    Yeah, if you look at wilser's fly bass you'll see where he took a P-pup and put it in a big square cover - it's an interesting look, but I don't know that it would look any better than the split P.

Nice job on the binding. I love basses with bound bodies (and fretboards for that matter) I wish more builders were doing it.
  9. MPU

Sep 21, 2004
    Valkeala Finland
    Yes, the top has some figure on it. When I first planed the plank of maple I was using I found out there was some figure. On the neck it's even more visible.
    As for the scale, I don't have any special reason for the length. I just tried this length. I have to say I like playing a short scale bass a lot. T
  10. A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Sinny, Oztraya
    Very nice bass. Congrats.
    I love the shorter scales.