1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

My Latest Build..

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by The Bass Clef, Oct 28, 2013.

1. The Bass Clef

The Bass Clef “the brian” Gold Supporting Member

Nov 17, 2010
    Southern California
    I just finished up my latest bass build.. a relic 1960 Jazz replica in Sonic Blue (over Sunburst) w/ a matching headstock. My goal was to make a 100% historically accurate (looking sounding, and feeling) reproduction of a '60 jazz - without the $4-5K+ Custom Shop price tag. I'm very happy with the result, and just felt like showing it off a little.

The specs:
    • Everything custom finished/relic'd/aged by MJT Guitars (I also ordered most of it through them)
    • Wildwood alder body
    • Musikraft neck
    • USA Fender reissue hardware
    • Seymour Duncan Antiquity II P/Us
    • CTS stacked pots w/ correct reissue capacitors and cloth wire
    • Gotoh GB640 Res-O-Lite (relic'd) tuners
    • Slab fretboard, aged clay dots, and vintage "banjo" frets
    • Finish "worn off" the back of neck and wood darkened
    • Correct-sized brass bridge grounding strip and string mute holes
    • 1960/61 repro "pat pend" decal
    • Aged mint pickguard
    • 8.8 lbs.

Let me know what you think!

60jazzsonic1_zps1e0d79bd.
    60jazzsonic2_zps0c17fa21.
    60jazzsonic3_zps79353692.
    60jazzsonic4_zpse5257693.
    60jazzsonic5_zpsdc9d8526.
    60jazzsonic6_zps3b400668.
    60jazzsonic7_zpsa4ed06c3.
    60jazzsonic8_zpsa92f25cc.

Cool looking board too..
    60jazzsonic10_zpsdc10bfc7.

2. thisSNsucks

thisSNsucks I build Grosbeak Guitars and Basses Commercial User

Dec 19, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    Grosbeak Guitars
    sweet, I love the paint over the sunburst finish and the mute holes. Nicely done!

3. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    the amount of wear at the forearm bout is a bit much, for me, but, overall: good job.

4. That is awesome! Extremely cool bass!
    Do you have relic'd covers?

5. Webtroll

Webtroll Rolling for initiative

Apr 23, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Love the color but also not sure about the sunburst showing through so much. The fact it is obviously blue over a burst makes the Fender decal look like it was added after a refin. Aside from the forearm worn so far as to show the burst I like it a lot.

6. bh2

bh2

Jun 16, 2008
    Oxford, UK
    Bloody fantastic... my dream bass... maybe's a tad over reliced but superb job there.

Of course I want one!

7. The Bass Clef

Nov 17, 2010
    Southern California
    Thanks everyone!

I didn't get covers for this one. But I did use the bridge cover off my '69 to drill the holes, so I guess I could take a pic with some covers on this one...

Thanks! Burst under an original finish is actually a period correct thing though. Sometimes Fender used to paint custom colors over botched burst jobs because it was easier than stripping it and repainting (and they could also sell it for 5% more as a custom color). There really are vintage examples of original finish custom color "matchers" out there with burst undercoats. So that's the idea behind this one. And I think it looks cool. :D

As for the wear, I do see what you guys are saying. Normally I wouldn't go that far either! But hey, some of the real vintage ones that I looked at with bursts under original colors were even more extreme! So I wanted it to look like it saw action. And my mom says you're just jealous! :bawl:

8. Webtroll

Webtroll Rolling for initiative

Apr 23, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Disregard my observation then! I'm about to paint over a burst, and if I had your skills I'd probably relic it. As it is any semblance to a relic will be my lack of skill :p

9. The Bass Clef

Nov 17, 2010
    Southern California
    Oh, I didn't do the relic'ing (sorry if that wasn't clear in my OP - I edited it). It was done by MJT Guitars.

10. lowendmafia

lowendmafia Supporting Member

Oct 11, 2007
    Sacramento, California
    Now that is a cool freaking bass...

11. The Bass Clef

Nov 17, 2010
    Southern California
    ^^Thanks!

The body and headstock also have lots of checking on them, but my camera sucks and it's a dark rainy day today so I cant get it to show up in the pics. I'll try to take some better shots soon!

12. Sonic Blue is a beauty for sure. Two comments:

1. If all the sonic blue had worn away (cutaway) I would expect some of the sunburst to do the same.
    2. What's with the grey (gray) back of neck? Yes the poly would have worn off but it doesn't make the neck grey.

Other than that she looks a treat.

Davo

13. NicJimBass

NicJimBass Flossin'? I thought your name was Munson! Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Lancaster, OH
    Hipshot
    My thoughts exactly!

14. hover

hover

Oct 4, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Yeah, same here about the grey...the abrupt end at the headstock (that looks like a Stingray finish)...did you use the ole white-vinegar / steel wool / oxidation finish to achieve that grey? Other than that, it looks like it's seen its fair share of smokey bars. :)

15. ben23c

ben23c

Aug 2, 2013
    Pretty sure I saw this on their instagram. Cool looking thing

16. The Bass Clef

Nov 17, 2010
    Southern California
    Thanks for all the comments guys!

The sunburst is actually worn away in spots, mostly on the top and the edges (and the back where the buckle rash is). It has a layered look. I'll try to take some more pics soon.

The grey on the back of the neck is just the bare old wood look after years of greasy fingers and dirt have stained the wood dark.. I had MJT remove all the finish off mainly because I like the feel of bare wood better. I also wanted it to look as if someone removed the finish a long time ago, like a lot of players did on the real ones once the finish got blotchy from play wear.

It's very similar to the back of the neck on the Custom Shop Jaco basses.

MJT did the finish, so I'm not sure what technique they used.

Yup, that's the one!

17. 2cooltoolz

2cooltoolz Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2009
    Lake Conroe, TX
    Very nice!!

18. The Bass Clef

Nov 17, 2010
    Southern California
    I updated the OP with more pics of the relic'ing.

19. Now that's some hardcore relicing!

20. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize!

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    Nice!